• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

seat perforation project

Just wanted to share a little project I've undertaken lately. The leather on my '91 was stiff and external applications of Leatherique didn't do what they should to soften it... I also wanted perforated leather on the seating and back inserts, but outside of buying leather or having replacement leather made, there was nothing to be done.

So... I bought a 1mm punch, printed some grid patterns, and carefully began perforating the seating and back inserts after I removed them from the seat. It's tedious and slow going, but the result is not bad at all, certainly not noticeable to anyone who wouldn't be looking for flaws. While the pattern may not be "standard" for Acura, it is coming out even and looks stock.

While the leather is off, I am also going to have a local alterations shop replace and repair the worn bolstering on the driver's seat, as well as attach some custom-made mesh pockets on the front of each seat (below where your knees would be when seated) and maybe even a larger one on the back of each seat back. The lack of storage space has always bugged me.

I'm hoping the tiny holes will allow the leather (and my backside) to breathe better, and in addition will allow the Leatherique products to permeate the leather more completely and make them soft again. I know some of us own newer models or garage queens, and for that reason this wouldn't be necessary, but for my older one with leather going bad, it's been a good project and will have positive results.

I hope to assemble some digital pix of the process and finished product soon. I'll be happy to share details if anyone else would like to tackle this!

Don

Regarding Leatherique, I followed the suggestion on the Leatherique site and lightly sanded the surface of my leather with 400 grit sand paper.

Upon reapplying leatherique, it made a dramatic difference in softening up the leather; much more effective than my previous attempts.

YMMV.

hyuan said:
Regarding Leatherique, I followed the suggestion on the Leatherique site and lightly sanded the surface of my leather with 400 grit sand paper.

Upon reapplying leatherique, it made a dramatic difference in softening up the leather; much more effective than my previous attempts.
The factory seats come with a thin "sealing" layer that protects the leather. It also prevents care products (Leatherique, Lexol, Treat, etc) from effectively permeating through to do their job.

Soichiro, Ciao!

I sure will take some digitals and post them. I've only done the passenger seat area so far, and like I said, I'm going SLOW! Mistakes here are ones I have to live with!

As for the sealing on newer car leather, that is true. "Newer" being in the last 20 years or so... I like the sandpaper idea, and another method (again, recommended by the incredibly friendly folks at Leatherique) is to mix a 50-50 solution of rubbing alcohol and plain ammonia, then wipe the leather down with a sponge. This removes greases and oils from the surface and supposedly (I mean, how can you tell?!) removes the sealant from the leather as well. It flash-dries in about 2 seconds and leaves it clean and dry... Then you apply whatever your favorite product happens to be.

Don

Back