• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Selling my NSX for a C6 Vette

CerberusM5 said:
... I agree that the NSX interior is more refined and much higher quality than the C6, but it is terribly outdated with zero modern conveniences. The NSX interior design is two decades old and it shows. Excellent seats though...

I'm just curious guys, I've seen this kind of posting several times on Prime and I just don't see where you all are coming from.

I agree that the NSX could use a better stock stereo but what else are you really missing? I find the ergonomics, sight lines, materials, and fit and finish of my 7 year old NSX to be light years ahead of my best friends 2003 M3, the new C6, my co-worker's 2003 996 Cab and just about anything else I've ever even sat in.

I don't want the keyless go bullcrap that GM is putting into the C6. IMO, that's just something else that's going to break (esp. in a GM car) and what the hell is so difficult about using a friggin key anyway? OK, maybe Honda should get real about their keyless entry and put the lock/unlock function into the key like it is on a $20K Accord but I can't find much else to complain about.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Da Hapa said:
I'm just curious guys, I've seen this kind of posting several times on Prime and I just don't see where you all are coming from.

I agree that the NSX could use a better stock stereo but what else are you really missing? I find the ergonomics, sight lines, materials, and fit and finish of my 7 year old NSX to be light years ahead of my best friends 2003 M3, the new C6, my co-worker's 2003 996 Cab and just about anything else I've ever even sat in.

I don't want the keyless go bullcrap that GM is putting into the C6. IMO, that's just something else that's going to break (esp. in a GM car) and what the hell is so difficult about using a friggin key anyway? OK, maybe Honda should get real about their keyless entry and put the lock/unlock function into the key like it is on a $20K Accord but I can't find much else to complain about.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

First let me preface by saying I have found faults in every car I've owned, not just the NSX. The NSX's interior quality is great and is right up there with other cars I have owned. With that said, here are my gripes in regards to the interior:

1. I hate the analog odometer. This is a minor annoyance, but it back dates the dash design at least 10 years.

2. The steering wheel is just plain ugly. Honda could at least have taken a short cut and raided the TL parts bin.

3. The sound quality of the stereo is subpar for a $40k car, let alone one costing $80k+. Same remedy as in #2 should have been taken.

4. A full leather interior would have been nice. I know that some members feel it would eventually crack, which is possible. However, I have a leather dash in my other car and previous ones and they have held up perfectly here in hot and dry Vegas. I just think a stitched vinyl dash looks cheap.

5. In 1990 , the NSX's interior design was state of the art and miles ahead of its German and Italian competition. However, its 2005 and in my opinion looks outdated. The dash and door panel design remind me of an old 1990 300ZX. The instrument panel looks like it came out of a 1989 Accord. The guage cluster is extremely legible, but has zero sporty flair (boring).

If we were still in the 90's; most of these gripes would not exist, but its 2005. I still stand by my opinion that the current NSX needs to be discontinued. The NSX is not even close to being competitive in today's sports car market. The car is outdated and overpriced. It needs to be priced at $70k to be more competitive. However, with the new ZO6 coming out this Fall; even $70k is not competitive from a performance standpoint.

I will say it again; Honda bring out the HSC and raise the bar once again, versus being a has been that doesn't know when to throw in the towel.

CerberusM5 said:
The NSX's interior quality is great and is right up there with other cars I have owned. With that said, here are my gripes in regards to the interior:
<snip>

When the NSX came out, my understanding was it offered the cream-of-the-crop of everything Honda had achieved in all of its cars. It was a technical culmination from all the cars they had made previously, all rolled into a supercar.

When people say 'outdated', it's because the Vigors, Legends, TLs, RLs, etc., which loaned their "best" parts to create the supercar that is the NSX, have all upgraded their interiors significantly over the past 15 years with Nav systems, Bluetooth compatibility, etc. and the NSX still comes with a cassette deck in the dash. (I know, I know... books on tape and all that stuff. :))

Once you get outside of the Honda line, cars like the C6 even offer a heads-up display, and then there's the other fringe modern techno-gadgets like night-vision on some cadillacs, auto-sensing cruise control, hell... even on my wife's 1997 BMW, the passenger side mirror auto aims down when you put it in reverse... also has the auto-rain sensing windshield wipers.

Anyways, I'm not saying any or all of this is necessary or that I'd want it on *my* NSX. I'm just addressing the 'outdated' claim some make, although I'm really interested in the bluetooth hands-free link the TL offers. :)

waldorf said:
When the NSX came out, my understanding was it offered the cream-of-the-crop of everything Honda had achieved in all of its cars. It was a technical culmination from all the cars they had made previously, all rolled into a supercar.

When people say 'outdated', it's because the Vigors, Legends, TLs, RLs, etc., which loaned their "best" parts to create the supercar that is the NSX, have all upgraded their interiors significantly over the past 15 years with Nav systems, Bluetooth compatibility, etc. and the NSX still comes with a cassette deck in the dash. (I know, I know... books on tape and all that stuff. :))

Once you get outside of the Honda line, cars like the C6 even offer a heads-up display, and then there's the other fringe modern techno-gadgets like night-vision on some cadillacs, auto-sensing cruise control, hell... even on my wife's 1997 BMW, the passenger side mirror auto aims down when you put it in reverse... also has the auto-rain sensing windshield wipers.

Anyways, I'm not saying any or all of this is necessary or that I'd want it on *my* NSX. I'm just addressing the 'outdated' claim some make, although I'm really interested in the bluetooth hands-free link the TL offers. :)

I agree with you 100%. I personally would like these little luxuries in my NSX. The NSX to me is not a lightweight narrow focused sports car like a GT3 or NSX-R, so there is no reason for Honda not to include these nice features to the NSX. What's the big deal if it adds 10 pounds to the car? I've heard the excuse that the R&D would be cost prohibitive, but we are not asking Honda to put in a 4 liter V8 (that would be nice). The parts are available from the TL and RL parts bin, but the truth of the matter is Honda doesn't care about the sports car/NSX niche and the enthusiast within that sector. They care more about the average Civic owner than us NSX owners.

Honda has become an emasculated bean counter versus a leader chasing the checkered flag. What a shame.

By the way, those books are probably available on CD as well. :biggrin:

Last edited:
CerberusM5 said:
First let me preface by saying I have found faults in every car I've owned, not just the NSX. The NSX's interior quality is great and is right up there with other cars I have owned. With that said, here are my gripes in regards to the interior:

1. I hate the analog odometer. This is a minor annoyance, but it back dates the dash design at least 10 years.

2. The steering wheel is just plain ugly. Honda could at least have taken a short cut and raided the TL parts bin.

3. The sound quality of the stereo is subpar for a $40k car, let alone one costing $80k+. Same remedy as in #2 should have been taken.

4. A full leather interior would have been nice. I know that some members feel it would eventually crack, which is possible. However, I have a leather dash in my other car and previous ones and they have held up perfectly here in hot and dry Vegas. I just think a stitched vinyl dash looks cheap.

5. In 1990 , the NSX's interior design was state of the art and miles ahead of its German and Italian competition. However, its 2005 and in my opinion looks outdated. The dash and door panel design remind me of an old 1990 300ZX. The instrument panel looks like it came out of a 1989 Accord. The guage cluster is extremely legible, but has zero sporty flair (boring).

If we were still in the 90's; most of these gripes would not exist, but its 2005. I still stand by my opinion that the current NSX needs to be discontinued. The NSX is not even close to being competitive in today's sports car market. The car is outdated and overpriced. It needs to be priced at $70k to be more competitive. However, with the new ZO6 coming out this Fall; even $70k is not competitive from a performance standpoint.

I will say it again; Honda bring out the HSC and raise the bar once again, versus being a has been that doesn't know when to throw in the towel.

Different strokes for different folks but I don't mind the analog odo. Honestly, I don't.

I agree with you about the steering wheel (Frankly, the wheel in my S2000's were nicer and I do lament having an airbag the size of a small Daewoo).

I agree with you about the sound system. And to make matters worse, I'm bummed that I probably have to alter the interior in order to get a good sounding stereo crammed into the center stack.

I somewhat agree with you on the full leather interior. I honestly really like the quality and feel of the interior of my 7-year old car but I could see not feeling good about basically the same materials in a $90K new car.

I disagree with the general styling. I think the interior still looks good and you know what, it works. I can find everything easily. There's no tiny buttons or un-necessary BS to clutter the interior.

I don't want laser cruise control, power interior mirrors, keyless start or any of the other crap that is becoming so fashionable in today's car. All that crap doesn't improve the driving experience, IMO, and only increases the chances of something breaking down the road.

Now... I do think that niceties like: (a) adjustable pedals, (b) memory seats, mirrors and wheel and (c) heated seats do add to the driving experience (and help you get a better driving position) and should be included in a $90K car.

I also agree with you that Honda needs to either crap or get off the pot. Either get real and get back to your roots by designing a kick butt HSC to replace the NSX or put a bullet in the old gal.

waldorf said:

Just one owner's thoughts but out of all the items that you just mentioned, the only thing that I would actually like to see in the NSX is the passenger side mirror that tilts down.

Night vision doesn't work for crap, IMO. And I honestly can't envision a scenario where the extra cost, weight, complexity and probability of breaking down offsets the perceived benefit of not having to turn on your own windshield wipers when it's raining.

I'm gonna sell my '01 Z06 and use that as the down payment on a "lightly used" C6 Z06......I'll let some other idiot take that nasty hit. Corvettes are great cars but they sure do take a hit that first year. I know all cars do. However, Corvettes seem to be the "King" when it comes to depreciation.....Hell, my buddy just bought a 2004 C5 vert w/ a 6 speed and only 1,200 miles for $31K.....THAT CAR WAS 53K JUST 7 MONTHS AGO WHEN IT ROLLED OFF THE LOT!!!!!

caseycarson said:
I'll let some other idiot take that nasty hit.

Hey now, I took that personally.

Just kidding. I have been trying to decide whether to go for the 06' this winter or wait for an 07' next year to avoid the first year pitfalls. As an owner of a 01' you know what I mean. I would be a little bummed if I bought an 06' and the following year they made some distinct improvements.

I don't see much depreciation the first year unless the MSRP is quite a bit north of $70k. I think it will be too hot the first year.

The new ZO6 is going to be pretty burly. I have plans of slapping on twin hair dryers when available. 505 is just not enough. :biggrin:

Da Hapa said:
Different strokes for different folks but I don't mind the analog odo. Honestly, I don't.

I agree with you about the steering wheel (Frankly, the wheel in my S2000's were nicer and I do lament having an airbag the size of a small Daewoo).

I agree with you about the sound system. And to make matters worse, I'm bummed that I probably have to alter the interior in order to get a good sounding stereo crammed into the center stack.

I somewhat agree with you on the full leather interior. I honestly really like the quality and feel of the interior of my 7-year old car but I could see not feeling good about basically the same materials in a $90K new car.

I disagree with the general styling. I think the interior still looks good and you know what, it works. I can find everything easily. There's no tiny buttons or un-necessary BS to clutter the interior.

I don't want laser cruise control, power interior mirrors, keyless start or any of the other crap that is becoming so fashionable in today's car. All that crap doesn't improve the driving experience, IMO, and only increases the chances of something breaking down the road.

Now... I do think that niceties like: (a) adjustable pedals, (b) memory seats, mirrors and wheel and (c) heated seats do add to the driving experience (and help you get a better driving position) and should be included in a $90K car.

I also agree with you that Honda needs to either crap or get off the pot. Either get real and get back to your roots by designing a kick butt HSC to replace the NSX or put a bullet in the old gal.

I'm glad we agree on most of these issues.

I have been contemplating upgrading the sound system as well, but get discouraged due to the complexity of the upgrade. It would have been so much better if Honda just used a standard DIN opening or installed a premium system stock.

In regards to the interior design, there is no doubt everything is laid out very well. It is very clean, simplistic and down to business. I just wish it had more warmth and character. Does that make sense?

The options you mentioned are the same ones I want as well, except for maybe the pedals. I would also like Homelink. Heck my lowly Pilot has Homelink.

I took the NSX to In-N-Out for lunch today and have to say it looked damn good. Quite a few people were checking it out. I don't remember my 996 turbo getting the same attention.

CerberusM5 said:
I don't see much depreciation the first year unless the MSRP is quite a bit north of $70k. I think it will be too hot the first year.

The new ZO6 is going to be pretty burly. I have plans of slapping on twin hair dryers when available. 505 is just not enough. :biggrin:

I agree with you to an extent. When the Z06 came out in 2001, it was pretty highly anticipated. It MSRP'd for 52K. You could buy them used within 4 or 5 months after release in the low 40's.I don't know this for a fact, but I would anticipate this Z06 being MUCH LESS mass produced than those of the past.

That being said, this new Z06 is an ENTIRELY different beast.......The depreciation curve may be different. I gotta tell you, I haven't been this giddy over a car since I bought my NSX a few months ago. :biggrin:

I hope your not having the same trouble like other C6 owners are.
such as... door opening while driving, noise. dead batt, etc...

see thread: C6 hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote from Corvette forum:
Vet said:
It seems that almost every day there are a few or even a lot of posts here from owners that are having all sorts of problems... everything from balancers coming off to dead batteries to speedometers going crazy to doors opening while driving to clutches sticking.... the list goes on and on. As well, seems that a lot of owners are not happy with the "drive by wire" and are also not happy with the way the clutch feels, etc.

CerberusM5 said:
I'm glad we agree on most of these issues.

I have been contemplating upgrading the sound system as well, but get discouraged due to the complexity of the upgrade. It would have been so much better if Honda just used a standard DIN opening or installed a premium system stock.

In regards to the interior design, there is no doubt everything is laid out very well. It is very clean, simplistic and down to business. I just wish it had more warmth and character. Does that make sense?

The options you mentioned are the same ones I want as well, except for maybe the pedals. I would also like Homelink. Heck my lowly Pilot has Homelink.

I took the NSX to In-N-Out for lunch today and have to say it looked damn good. Quite a few people were checking it out. I don't remember my 996 turbo getting the same attention.

I completely forgot about Homelink and to be honest, that is one of those little everyday luxuries that I really, really miss in the NSX. Esp. since I spend a lot of time with the roof panel off. I can't just leave the garage door opener on the visor.

Back