• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Senna 2010 Film

Just finished watching Senna. Great documentary and I'm really happy I waited to get the 720p version. I will probably buy the 1080p BluRay version too.

I am coming from a post-Senna generation. I only learned of him through the NSX and this board (although I am now realizing how he was even in my life when I didn't even know it: I am pretty sure he was featured in some video games I played as a kid).

I thought I had seen all I needed to through the other videos about Senna on the internet, but this one really gave me a better understanding of everything. I always thought Senna was just being a jerk when he tried to overtake Prost on the inside and they both crashed (thereby giving him the win) but after watching what happened the year before and the change in pole positions, it seemed a lot more justified.

Also, the decision to leave Mclaren and move to Williams for the active suspension, only to have all that tech barred was really tough...

Just wondering how accurate all of this info is. The movie def made me sympathize with Senna, but I am wondering if it fairly does so.

I wasn't expecting it, but I got a little choked up when his mom held his helmet at his funeral. I dunno why.

I am coming from a post-Senna generation. I only learned of him through the NSX and this board (although I am now realizing how he was even in my life when I didn't even know it: I am pretty sure he was featured in some video games I played as a kid).

I thought I had seen all I needed to through the other videos about Senna on the internet, but this one really gave me a better understanding of everything. I always thought Senna was just being a jerk when he tried to overtake Prost on the inside and they both crashed (thereby giving him the win) but after watching what happened the year before and the change in pole positions, it seemed a lot more justified.

Also, the decision to leave Mclaren and move to Williams for the active suspension, only to have all that tech barred was really tough...

Just wondering how accurate all of this info is. The movie def made me sympathize with Senna, but I am wondering if it fairly does so.

I wasn't expecting it, but I got a little choked up when his mom held his helmet at his funeral. I dunno why.

Wow, that active suspension is REALLY active. :eek: I've heard/read about it before, but have never seen it in motion. That plus all the other electronic aides gave the Williams a huge advantage, and I can see why Senna made the move. I also didn't know for a long time that he was dating Brazilian tv star, Xuxa. My younger sister loved her show and always watched it.

Wow, that active suspension is REALLY active. :eek: I've heard/read about it before, but have never seen it in motion. That plus all the other electronic aides gave the Williams a huge advantage, and I can see why Senna made the move. I also didn't know for a long time that he was dating Brazilian tv star, Xuxa. My younger sister loved her show and always watched it.

Was he dating her? I couldn't tell, but it looked like he was dating some other girl and only friends with Xuxa?

I dunno, maybe he dated both.

Also didn't know that he was the last person to die in Formula 1...is that accurate?

Was he dating her? I couldn't tell, but it looked like he was dating some other girl and only friends with Xuxa?

I dunno, maybe he dated both.

Also didn't know that he was the last person to die in Formula 1...is that accurate?

From another documentary I watched, if I'm not mistaken, he was also dating another girl before dating Xuxa. Ayrton and Xuxa ended up being friends towards the end because of their careers. He was always traveling all over the world, and she had a hit TV show that was popular all over Latin America and in the US. My understanding was that this other girl(don't remember her name) wasn't liked as much as Xuxa by Ayrton's family.

You are correct, Senna was the last casualty in F1.

Could you order more copies se we can buy them from you here on prime?
Sorry, they shipped it already. You can order it, just click the English menu and use the same password you have.

Am I reading that site right? That the Blu Ray is actually in English? If so, I'm ordering that thing right now...

That's what it says. My order is in DHL in Osaka and I should have Monday, if you want to wait, look for my update next week.

Just watched the torrent, great film.
The in car footage of him driving at Monaco with a manual shift was, :eek::eek:

Still wondering, why was Honda never mentioned at all?

Holy SH!!!

I was just watching the part where he was on XuXu's television show (~44.30) and towards the end of teh interview, she starts kissing him on teh cheeks, and forehead.

As she kisses each time, she wishes him a happy new year.

Kiss1: Happy New Year (current)
Kiss2: Happy 1991
Kiss3: Happy 1992
Kiss4: Happy 1993

and then she stops...

Didn't he die in 1994?

I know it is just a coincidence, but if you watch that part again, it's kinda creepy.

Also, I like how he probably whispered something about sex into her ear and all the kids started cheering. lol.

Last edited:
Watching it now. It is in English with the exception of interviews and racing commentators spoke in Portuguese. The subtitle is in Japanese only. Most of the footage are in VHS quality of the 1980s. Get it, it is bad ass on Bluray.

Just watched the movie on Bluray and it did not impress me as a documentary because many important footage were left out. I can see why since it is limited to 2 hours and you can only cover so much of his eleven years in F1. The movie focused on his relationship with Prost and the Imola weekend of 1994 (which composed of 1/3rd of this movie). Many important achievements were left out. I would love to see more about his 1993 season driving second tier Ford engine and still won 5 races. However, if you have never seen Senna race, this is a good place to start.

On the bright side,

The treasure of this disc is in the extras. There is an additional 51 minutes worth of Interviews with Alain Prost, Ron Dennis, a French guy, and the old ESPN commentator. However, some people should have been part of the interview were left out, such as Senna’s team mates other than Alain Prost, Frank Willams, etc. It was extremely emotional watching the interviews since everything they talked about was witnessed personally back in the days, but from their perspective… Brought back a lot of memories…

To be honest, the Top Gear's 10 minutes on Senna was actually better in many ways in describing how he drives.

Over all, it is a film worth of buying. Heck, I paid $70 bucks for it.

Hope those of you who have seen the film, see if you can find the extra stuff on the Internet.

As usual, Japanese movie releases always come with some kind of booklet. I scanned it and you can find it here.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1111827469&aid=2110958

Last edited:
I just saw the movie, it was a great lesson on Senna. I wish they showed more about his relationship with Honda, there wasn't anything about the NSX either. Althought Vance said that a bunch of stuff was left out I'm still very happy for the fact that now i have a very good image of Senna as a racing driver and a human.

We're not sure when Senna decided to go to Williams but at the time Senna ran his first GP with it the new rules forbid the active suspension and Senna found the car very nervous due to the lack of it. A lot of aids have been suspended like the traction system but Senna rumored that Benetton was illegally still using it.
Later, they've found code fragments in the software Schummel-Schumi was using.

Did you guys notice the red NSX safety car in one of the crashes? I think it was a Prost/Senna crash.

I feel like this documentary could have definitely been longer. His 93 season was apparently spectacular but they kind of rushed through it. Even with his troubles with the Williams car he managed to get pole at Imola. As discouraging as it was to drive that car, it was still a feat to still be able to be so good in that and I felt that was overlooked it.

I do agree with Vance that the short Top Gear special on him was amazing. This was still the best full-length documentary that I've seen of him. I've seen some with more or less, different footage that sort of adds to the whole experience of who was Senna.

We're not sure when Senna decided to go to Williams but at the time Senna ran his first GP with it the new rules forbid the active suspension and Senna found the car very nervous due to the lack of it. A lot of aids have been suspended like the traction system but Senna rumored that Benetton was illegally still using it.
Later, they've found code fragments in the software Schummel-Schumi was using.

Senna did not leave McLaren to Williams for the active suspension. He left McLaren for the Renault Engine. In 1993, Mclaren's chassis also had active suspension and that chassis was probably just as fast as Williams' aerodynamically speaking, but they had the second tier Ford V8 through the first half of the Season because Benetton had the exclusive right to the top tier engine. McLaren was only able to secure the Peugeot engine for 1994.

Keep in mind that Senna still won five races in 1993 and was actually leading the championship during the early stage of the season.

What is really tragic was the fact that Benetton did cheat and was caught after the season with traction control. Imagine if they followed the rule, would Senna still be alive.

Last edited:
I collect my copy tomorrow! I'm excited and haven't read anyone's comments on here so that I don't know what to expect....

Can't wait!!!

I saw it at the theater. It was a special charity event. It will be general public release in august. Very good movie although I agree with Vance, much was left out.

Back