• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Shady SoCal Mechanic

I never wanted to write this post but I figure it's important as a public service announcement to others. So let's just put it out there. If anyone considers working with Robert after this, you're a bonafide IDIOT.

Don't say you weren't warned.

As one of the many who previously gave praise to Robert, it really pains me to take all of that back. He has always seemed like a genuinely nice guy and maybe that's his Jedi mind trick. The truth is a whole other story. He is undependable like anyone I've ever trusted before.

Let me tell you briefly the story about my last encounter with him. He had previously worked on my NSX a few times and so I asked him to help with a shock issue I was having with my MDX. After multiple reschedules, we finally got together and I paid him $1,800 to go buy me new front shock absorbers and have them installed, as he diagnosed that as the problem. This did not resolve my issue and after retesting, he decides it is actually a lower control arm. So now I have to pony up for that too. Again after multiple reschedules, he finally gets the replacement done. This is literally months after we started the job. The kicker? While he had my car to work on, he was nice enough to get 2 parking tickets from San Gabriel. He repeatedly said he was going to take care of them, but it was taking so long that I paid them myself to avoid additional penalties. Afterwards he repeatedly promised that he would cut me a check, that his word was good, and that he would make sure it was taken care of. It never happened.

I'm a trusting person, patient, and I'd like to think a generally nice guy. But seriously, Robert can go FK himself. I held off on writing anything in order to give him the benefit of the doubt. But at this point I'm writing off my losses. I hope he gets what's coming to him for being so dishonest and untrustworthy. Quite frankly I have half a mind to call Santa Monica Acura where he works and get him fired. And truthfully, I will probably have someone reexamine all the work that I asked him to do on the NSX previously.

I can't remember who, but whoever recommended him to the community in the first place should probably be shamed as well. Such a disfavor to the community.

I too received parking tickets from leaving my car with him. I have been nice, but not anymore.

how time has changed in a year, i still remember the thread last year about robert's "great" work. i was told before that nsxprime can be hostile so i have kept quiet, until recently people started talking about how shady robert is so i figured i'd share my story as well. in short, robert is hands down the most incompetent persons i have encountered and there is no reason for anyone to go to him anymore.

my nsx was my daily driver and it was due for big job (belt, pump, hoses, etc...). with ramon i would need to leave my car with him for days which was a problem, and since robert offered to come to my place to finish the job in a day, i decided to give him a try. fwiw, price was not an issue for me, i have no problem with 2-3k worth of services given a car like this, time and duration was.

he said he needed money to order the parts which i thought was reasonable and we met up in 2 days. after he claimed he got all the parts we scheduled a saturday 9am. i read all about how on time he is so when he showed up close to 10am, i didn't like it but considered that normal. the list of work included the following (or so he claimed): water pump, timing belt, tranny fluid, engine oil, master and slave clutch cylinders, bleeding brakes, main relay. i helped him offload all the parts from his car and saw all the new parts, so at least that was a good sign.

throughout the day i went in and out checking on him, all the way till around 9pm and he was still working on the car. that was the time i started to get suspicious. i helped him bleed the clutch and saw all the brake fluid bottles were still sealed so that means he hadn't bled the brakes. after we were done with the clutch, he was doing other stuff while i sat around with my phone. after finishing all the coolant stuff, i noticed the remaining brake fluids were still untouched so i asked if he's working on the brakes next, and he said "oh it's done already".

i didn't say a word. i am a mild person and don't talk much, but i know what's happening. it was late and he was trying to pull a quick one. i figured i wouldn't argue with him since he was still working on my car but that was a big strike 1. after everything was done he told me 2 of the hoses were missing so he would come again to finish the job. strike 2. when i do something first thing is to make sure i have everything necessary.

car was done around 10pm, everything seemed fine until next morning when i started the car -- CEL. messaged him and he said he would come that evening while i scrambled to take our other car to work leaving my wife car-less. he did come that evening and figured one hose was loose, popped it back in and everything was ok.

drove the car for another week or two, i started noticing that the oil pressure gauge was quite low when idling. asked him and he said likely the oil sending unit went bad. i didn't want to think much and probably car is old, he said it would take a week to get the part, so i was stranded again for a week. not fun.

came a week, msg, no response. called, he said part arrived and would come on certain evening. that day came, msg, no response, called. no response, and until 11pm or so he msg and said sorry his wife went to ER and he couldn't come. again, i am a mild person, despite my doubts i said np, take care of family, let me know when he had time BUT i wanted it fixed asap.

days passed, nothing, msg, nothing. finally replied saying he would come on another certain evening. that day came, again nothing. and late msg came and said sorry he was about to leave but wife needed to get med and it was getting late. maybe his wife was seriously sick. so again i said no problem.

few days later i msg again and he said he would come that evening. third time is a charm i guess, he came with his brother and changed the oil sending unit. he said he came straight from work, but when testing with his brother, i asked about traffic and his brother gave me a route that was completely off from where his work was (acura of santa monica). at that point it was not surprising anymore, i just wanted to get it over with. again good thing i was around so i saw the new unit. but the two hoses were still missing and he said he would come later.

funny thing is during their conversations, they were talking about going to disneyland with family, and apparently his wife called about having drinks later that evening. for a wife that was bad enough to go to ER and then needed med so badly that sounded awfully weird (but i guess we all know why). out of curiosity i poked around and located his facebook and other info. guess what, the day (or the day after i forgot) his wife went to ER, he posted asking who wanted to have some drinks over at the garcia residence. i smiled a little, that was strike 3 right there.

out of fun, a month later i msg him somewhat sarcastically asking if he had forgotten about the 2 remaining hoses. he said no, he had been very sick but he would come. at that point i already made up my mind that no way in hell would i let this person touch my car again. and of course, fast forward a year and there is nothing from him.

i stayed quiet but i told people who i know about robert, and now in light of this thread i guess i am just re-inforcing what others have experienced. like i said some told me in the past to be careful about posting on prime. there were a few people who totally stood by robert's work here and on fb, i won't go into names but i just hope there are no more victims.

i will take my car to ramon to have everything checked out, i have just been so busy with work. i have no idea about what's going on with robert now, and i have zero sympathy about anything that could have happened to him. this is a small community and all he did was digging a grave for himself.

Thank you for sharing. He was always full of excuses, did shady work and would strip or break things in your car without telling you. PLEASE have your car inspected, especially the suspension. He damaged severalk things in my car but the worst was stripping the lower ball joint and using a air tool to force nut on stripping it in the process.....after he grinded the tip. That could have been dangerous if Jim didn't discover that while he was unscrewing Roberts shady work.

I am glad I put off a year in getting my car service. You guys helped me avoid a potential problem.

Thank you for sharing. He was always full of excuses, did shady work and would strip or break things in your car without telling you. PLEASE have your car inspected, especially the suspension. He damaged severalk things in my car but the worst was stripping the lower ball joint and using a air tool to force nut on stripping it in the process.....after he grinded the tip. That could have been dangerous if Jim didn't discover that while he was unscrewing Roberts shady work.

yes adrian, i will definitely do that. probably going to have ramon look at the car. saw your issues and all the pics from jim, it's just unbelievably scary.

it's kind of funny that a few people who vouched for robert are very quiet now.

finally today i went to ramon to have him check on my car. he put it on the lift and went over every section. this is what i could remember

1) a lot of clamps for hoses not put back on at all, fixed
2) valve cover not bolted on tight at all (i mean loose), saw small leak along the edge but not bad, ok for now
3) at least half a dozen other bolts not tightened (some even not hand tightened), all put back on. didn't see any lost bolts
4) a lot of the hoses are still the old original ones, didn't seem like they were touched. good thing is they are still in good shape and ramon said no need to change for now
5) all suspension looks ok (probably coz' robert didn't really touch any of them)

overall ramon said the car looks ok and nothing drastic, just need to keep an eye on the engine oil and the valve cover leak. he said good thing is my car is 02 so a lot of parts are still pretty new and in good shape.

and i just want to say, ramon didn't even charge me a penny for going over everything. that was more than an hour of work!!!! and he even walked me through everything and showed me all the little issues.

Back