• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Shark antennae & water leakage question

I just installed a Shark Antennae on my 97 NSX as I wasn't too thrilled with the reception of the stock antennae & I like the looks of the shorter wider black mast. Question I have is has anyone else who has installed one of these ever had any problems with water leaking into trunk thru the mast hole? The Shark came with a rubber base that seems okay but overall the setup doesn't seem as weathertight as the stocker I just took off.

Just wondering what others have found before our rainy season hits.
Thanks

I have the Shark II and have not had a prpoblem with water leaking in. As long as the nut it tightened properly you should be fine.

Good luck,

Matt

No problem with mine either and I got caught in a bad downpour coming back from an NSX event in the bay area.

Thanks, that is good to hear. I tightened the nut very snugly : it helps to have an open-type socket set (the center is open all the way down) : I can't remember the brand name but it is a Kobalt tool: I just threaded the power wire & antenna wire thru the center & was able to very snugly tighten the nut

Do you recall what color the wire was that you spliced into? I installed mine this past weekend. I spliced it in the pink/white wire...I noticed it started getting hot and the wires were beginning to melt. I returned it to Locustom. They told me that they will replace it and send me another one. Do you still remember what size the socket you used and also if it came with a rubber type circular grommet between the base and the socket? Not sure exactly if this helps in the seal....

I too was concerned about water lakage.
I sprayed mine with agarden hose to check...so far no issues.
Additionally pink/white power to antenna really helped rception.
Finally, inner washer and nut were a PITA.

Last edited:
Wasn't thrilled with the reception of the stock antenna? The stock antenna was WAY better in reception, especially when it's fully extended. It's like 12 feet tall!!:tongue:

I just bought a shark attack II. It looks like the antenna just bolts to the outer panel. If it leaked, wouldn't it just leak onto the plastic inner fender? If you remove the inner fender, there's the antenna nut. I don't forsee it leaking into the trunk.

Easiest way to install this bad boy is to pull off your tail light then go through that access it's way easier. Can tighten without special tools and water tight. Not as good reception as the OEM antennae but it sure doesn't slow the car with that 12' mast swinging in the breeze.

And who uses an antennae with Pandora and all the other music apps out there?

Back