• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Shipping an auto cross country

Cal

Registered Member
Gentlemen, earlier this year I shipped to ship a car from Vancouver Washington to North Carolina. I learned some valuable information that I wanted to share if you ever need to ship out of state. BTW according the the professionals in the auto shipping industry my experience is actually more the norm rather than the exception.

I found numerous companies online that could quickly accommodate my needs so I expected this to be relatively easy. Nothing could be further from the truth. Initially I settled on an auto shipping broker out of Florida that seemed to have all of the credentials: valid MC number and registration, adequate insurance, full website claiming to do it all, etc. He insisted that he could not take a credit number (my bad) and said he needed the broker fee of $200 via a check or cashier's check. After cashing my check, he disappeared and no one ever came to pick up the vehicle. I emailed and called him without success. This was obviously a scam and I should have seen it from the beginning. Reputable brokers do not bill until the vehicle is actually picked up.

The company that took my money and never performed any of the services claimed was American Allegiance Auto Transport LLC 866-We-Ship-9 His e-mail was [email protected].

I then focused on local resources and found a real shipper in Camas WA. They claimed they could have someone in a week to 10 days and their price was about $600 cheaper than some of their competitors. I offered to drive the car to another city or even the next state to get this done. After about three weeks and several calls I realized that this was never going to happen. Seems that the reason it was taking so long it that they (the broker) was offering the drivers a much lower rate than usual. Basically they were trying to find someone with one last spot left that would be willing to take a lowball price. When I changed to one of the more expensive brokers things started happening very quickly.

I finally found Vance Burgess at Auto Driveaway. Their price was higher but everything worked as promised and I had the vehicle shipped within a week. They ship all over the nation and are very well known in the auto shipping industry. Outstanding service and followup. They have 40 offices nationwide and Vance (Portland OR office) can handle shipping anywhere with the US. I have no finanicial interest in this enterprise, just wanted to share my experiences Their contact info follows:

Auto Driveaway
434 NW Hoyt Street
Portland, OR 97209
(503)294-2955
E-mail: [email protected]

I suggest anyone planing on shipping a car to check out this site: http://transportreviews.com/. I also suggest not using a broker, but using a company run by the owner.

I had great success getting my '05 NSX shipped from Chicago to So Cal, in March 2009, by using Transport Reviews to weed out the bad shippers. My car was picked up within an hour of my purchase, in Chicago, and in my driveway in Orange County of California, 5 days later.

RIght you are Kryas - never use the broker. There are threads about this and good companies mentioned that will do this right the first time and you deal with the folks running the business. The only way to do it!

There are some really good ones; interstate comes to mind but there is another that friends of mine have used that is perhaps a little more personal and not as expensive. Anyone looking to ship with Prime at their finger tips - all I can say is use this resource - Prime can't be beat.

9 times out of 10 a "broker" is a bad idea. They switch cars from truck to truck, let them sit around a few days, etc. And most of all you will never know.

I had good luck with my broker. she got a truck and i was there when it was loaded and he drove it straight (1000 miles or so) to my house. i was there when it was unloaded.

I can speak for all, but as jason said i guess i was the 1 in 10 having a good experience and on one trailer/truck.

Last edited:
If you have to ship it, DONT, drive the car to its new location, if you cant drive it due to Work etc. plan for it, take you vacation specificly for the transport. or rent a trailer and drive yourself. you never know if they stop at a truck stop somewhere in route, get the local whore and you know what in your Exotic. I have heard this before. guy was transporting a Ferrari and was busted by the cops cuz he was pulled over somewhere getting a Bl_w J_b from some chick. got arrested. the whole truck and Ferrari on the truck was inpounded for like 2 days.

lol what a pissed Owner that would have been his car in the projects on a flatbed truck with an exotic car in the police yard. all the while the Project kids are throwing rocks at the Ferrari. so funny.

Drive the car people, and you wonder why your NSX breaks cuz they sit so long. on a high horse and never get to see the road.

when you die you cant take it with you right? so drive have some fun. dont let it ROT away in your air-conditioned Garage.

Lol Shawn there is a big difference between driving your nsx alot and driving cross country or 800-1200 miles in 2 days.I agree with you on one point and that is if someone has never driven a long distance in the nsx and has ever entertained that possibility xpo is the best excuse to do so with like minded enthusiasts.I drove to xpo in tha Atlanta area from NE Pa and after about 6 hours on the road the sucky factor began increasing exponentialy.Having to crash at a motel at 3 am because you are becoming a danger in an aluminum projectile makes for a funny story but thats about it:redface:

I'm having a car delivered tomorrow. I used Gran Turismo Motorsports. They were recommended by the dealer I got my car from.

I had a quick question. Is it customary to tip the driver when he drops the car off?

I do.....the amount depends on service and of my impression of the driver during offloading...

a hundo if you are feeling generous..I would say he or she would apreciate anything in mutiples of 20:wink:

Had my GT shipped from Austin to NY, the guy was great, gave him a $50, as I had asked a friend who uses him often what was appropriate. Guy was thrilled and appreciative, but the ice cold soda (no beer, drinking and driving don't mix) brought a big smile to his face, it was over 90 degrees out and the AC in the truck had broken down the day before, and he didn't want to lay up and disappoint me.

Sounds like alot of you had good luck. I just had my car shipped to Spokane from Bay City, MI. Unfortunately, Bay City is not too close to anywhere so it took awhile for the car to get picked up & transported. I chose enclosed transport so it was a little pricey - $1600 door to door. The only problem I had was that it took a month, yes a MONTH, before it was picked up. The dealer used a company that they were familiar with & after 3 wks of me calling & complaining, they made a switch at the last minute & then the process went smoothly. The car was in great shape & no worse for the wear though I was a little grumpy when I had made my first payment & still didn't have the car in my possession.

Big note, NEVER NEVER EVER use one of those quote systems that are listed on Autotrader. I'm assuming they would qualify as the brokers. Essentially you are setting yourself up to get spammed for 1-2 YEARS later as they 'drop' email hints to you asking if you shipped your car yet. Even blocking their email doesn't work as they simply change the email addy they are sending from by a number to avoid the spam blocker. What amazes me is that they persist in spamming me via this method thinking that I am stupid enough to use their service....

Back