• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Shopping for an NSX - Observations/Questions

I expect to be in a position to buy a "toy" (i.e. second) car when I have my house paid off, which should happen in the not-too-distant future. Top of my list is an NSX - the car has impressed me since it's intro in '91. Having had the opportunity to drive a couple, and having done a fair amount of research, I've made some observations, some of which seem to be confirmed by posts in this forum:

The "first gen" ('91-'93) cars that don't have high mileage seem to have held steady in value over the last couple of years in the mid $30k range, in spite of the snap ring failure issue, R-12 a/c, and smaller wheels/tires. Not entirely sure why this is, unless people truly are begining to buy them for collectability.

The manual steering of the pre-'95 manual trans cars is truckish at parking lot speed, nicely communicative at any speed above that. The power steering is great at low speed, but a little light and less communicative than the non-power setup. Of course, I'm comparing it to 3 series BMW steering, which ranks as about the best I've ever felt.

The targa roofed models, even with the various reinforcements, seem significantly more flexible than the coupes - I detect significant cowl shake, and creaks from the interior pieces, even with the roof in place. Of course, I've only driven one T, and it seemed pretty well used, particularly relative to it's 23k miles.

The 23k mile T model above was in need of a new clutch ASAP - it was slipping under acceleration at highway speed. A couple of ads I've seen mention clutch replacement prior to 60k - sometimes much prior. Is this typical?

Filtered through all of this, it looks like what I probably want is a '94 model coupe - pre P/S, but post R-12, snap ring, window regulator issues, etc. My fear, given the ultra-low production numbers after '92, is that I may be limiting myself too much.

I welcome informed comments on any of this.

I had very similar tastes, my *ideal* pool of potentials consisted of consisted of 146 cars worldwide that were:
1. green, white, or black exterior
2. Black interior
3. Manual
4. 1994 model year

Knock those out that are not for sale, in accidents, out of my price range and it sounds impossible.

Its not - keep looking! Eventually you'll find what you want, and I think you'll be suprised by how frequently they come up for sale. You may have to pay a bit more/wait a bit longer for what you really want, but in the end it's worth it.

I looked for quite a while, and considered a few NSXes that were in good shape but that I "didn't really want" just because they had something minor about them that I did not care for (interior color, exterior color, modifications, history, milage, and so on).

Eventually, I found 'the one' and don't fault myself at all for spending the extra time or dollars to find and purchase it. I've never once walked into the garage and wished I had bought any of the others.

Check Autotrader often. I called the first day "mine" was listed, drove hours to see it within the week and made an offer on the spot.

That's my $.02. I bought a white 94, and I'd buy it again.

Welles,

Most of what you have observed is right on the mark. I also agree with Markbert that you should get what you want, and be patient. However, you should also carefully consider which attributes (such as year, color, mileage, condition, cost, etc) are "must haves", and which ones you're willing to give a little on. As you conduct your search, if you don't find exactly what you're looking for, you can either continue to wait, possibly for a long time, or you can consider ways in which you are willing to broaden your search.

A few comments to add.

I wouldn't hesitate to consider the '91-93 along with the '94. The main problems prior to '94 are either preventable at little cost (window regulators) or limited to a specific range (snap ring), and it's inexpensive to upgrade R-12 to R-134a. Of course, you can avoid them entirely with a '94, as well as have niceties like the bigger wheels, but just in case you have trouble finding a '94, the '91-93 doesn't need to be out of the question.

Originally posted by welles:
The "first gen" ('91-'93) cars that don't have high mileage seem to have held steady in value over the last couple of years in the mid $30k range, in spite of the snap ring failure issue, R-12 a/c, and smaller wheels/tires. Not entirely sure why this is, unless people truly are begining to buy them for collectability.

Prices on nice early ones seem to have held steady. Prices on poorly-maintained and high-mileage NSXs seem to have dropped. I suspect this may be due to supply and demand, as some of the older cars gain miles and are not well cared for.

The manual steering of the pre-'95 manual trans cars is truckish at parking lot speed, nicely communicative at any speed above that. The power steering is great at low speed, but a little light and less communicative than the non-power setup. Of course, I'm comparing it to 3 series BMW steering, which ranks as about the best I've ever felt.

I've driven an E36 M3 and I greatly prefer the manual steering on my '91 NSX.

The 23k mile T model above was in need of a new clutch ASAP - it was slipping under acceleration at highway speed. A couple of ads I've seen mention clutch replacement prior to 60k - sometimes much prior. Is this typical?

It's not typical to need a new clutch that soon. I suspect the owner abused the clutch, perhaps doing burnouts, perhaps unknowingly riding the clutch.

Typical clutch life on an NSX is in the 40-50K mile range. There are some owners whose clutches last as long as 90-100K miles, and others whose clutches go at 35-40K miles, but this range is the most common.

Filtered through all of this, it looks like what I probably want is a '94 model coupe - pre P/S, but post R-12, snap ring, window regulator issues, etc. My fear, given the ultra-low production numbers after '92, is that I may be limiting myself too much.

As I mentioned above, try finding what you want, first. Finding a '94 with a five-speed, in any color, with a preference for a reasonable combination of condition and price, should not be terribly difficult. Then, if you search for a while and still have difficulty, consider how to broaden your search.

I looked for many months before finding my final choice. It only happened to be 3 hours south of my home. After negotiating price and seeing car and coming home and looking at all the numbers did I decide to buy it. Then the seller had it put on a flat bed wrecker and delivered to my place of business.
Couldn't be happier with it.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Don't give up on a Targa, yes some of the structural integrity is lost as is the case with most other T's. Both the Targas I drove never made a noise, likewise for the one I own now, in fact my 2000 Lexus makes more noise from the sun roof shade cover. Good luck w/your hunt.

Back