• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should I go from my M3 cab to a older NSX. HELP please~!

hey guys, I've been looking to buy a nsx for a long time now...and im asking. Should I go from a year old M3 convert to a 95-97 NSX? As far a looks the NSX all day long. But the reason I hesitate is because on a NSX I would be getting into an older car(and no I cant afford a newer one:frown: ) If i can get an 02 all day but.........aaarrgg So should i get into a car thats older but crazier but with no warranty? I mean on the M3 i havent spent a dime on maintenance and its nice not to worry about anything. But i want an NSX so bad. So is it worth it?

Please HELP!!!

Do a search, this exact question has been brought up & addressed several times for M3 vs NSX with many answers from people who have owned both. Financially, you will probably get killed on depreciation for such a new car on resale or trade, so why not keep it & save up a few years? Unless you can work out a trade with someone looking to do the opposite swap of what you want to do (NSX to M3). Good luck whatever you decide. And from what's been posted on Prime, BMWs off warranty are WAY scarier than NSXs off warranty.

I've had a 95 and 97 NSX-T as well as a 2003 M3 Cab. The NSX is definitely more fun to drive and is more of an exotic car. People will think you spent twice as much for your NSX than your M3. I didn't have any type of reliablity issues with my NSX's. Just buy carefully from a good previous owner with good service records and the odds are definitely in your favor of not having a big service bills.

So in short, if you can afford to get rid of the M3, do it, and really start enjoying your drives!

I had an M3 and got rid of it because of reliability issues. At 10k the fuel pump went out while I was in traffic, and a month later the termastat had to be replaced. Luckily, everything was covered under warranty, but it was a major headache and two weeks stuck at the dealership during summer.

I sold it and bought an NSX. No problems and I'm about to turn 90k.

If it's your daily driver, than keep the M3, if it will be your weekend car, than trust me the NSX all the way! Even a 1991 feels modern inside, I don't know how they did it back then. I had the car for 6 days last Tuesday, took it to a local weekly car show and I won best car when everyone voted. My Porsche never did that - and I loved my Porsche!

veilstylez said:
hey guys, I've been looking to buy a nsx for a long time now...and im asking. Should I go from a year old M3 convert to a 95-97 NSX? As far a looks the NSX all day long. But the reason I hesitate is because on a NSX I would be getting into an older car(and no I cant afford a newer one:frown: ) If i can get an 02 all day but.........aaarrgg So should i get into a car thats older but crazier but with no warranty? I mean on the M3 i havent spent a dime on maintenance and its nice not to worry about anything. But i want an NSX so bad. So is it worth it?

Please HELP!!!

Isn't an M3 Cab about a $60,000 car?? You should be able to afford a very nice, and newer model, NSX for that much. The cars are bulletproff reliable as long as you take good care of them. My M3 was a nightmare, the NSX has been perfect. But you have to choose for yourself. Have you driven the NSX yet?

In a word: Yes.

I used to have a 1993 NSX. I now have a 2003 M3. I wish I still had my 1993 NSX. My M3 is under warranty, but has already had more problems in 17,000 miles and 6 months than my NSX did in 29,000 miles and 30 months.

The funny thing is I thought M3 E46 were reliable cars!

Usually normal BMW's (not the M's) are very well built. But seems the M's have more problems.

I wouldn't do it if the NSX was going to be your only car. If you're like me (anal), then you won't want an NSX as your daily driver. Too many things to worry about such as grocery shopping, parking daily, etc. But that's just me.

On the other hand, you could get a beater and an older NSX to satisfy the craving.

If the NSX is what you want, then you should just get one. Judging from what you have, you can easily get a later model with low miles. The later model NSXs are bulletproof as far as reliability.
Steve

If i were in your situation, i'd buy both an NSX and an E36 m3 for daily driving. That was you will still have your m3 in a sense and be able to take out your nsx on the weekend

docdan said:
I've had a 95 and 97 NSX-T as well as a 2003 M3 Cab. The NSX is definitely more fun to drive and is more of an exotic car. People will think you spent twice as much for your NSX than your M3. I didn't have any type of reliablity issues with my NSX's. Just buy carefully from a good previous owner with good service records and the odds are definitely in your favor of not having a big service bills.

So in short, if you can afford to get rid of the M3, do it, and really start enjoying your drives!

Let me qualify my earlier statement by adding this. My NSX's were garaged, sunny day cars, and the M3 was a daily driver. I personally wouldn't have an NSX as a daily driver because I'm too anal about keeping it clean, pristine, scratch and dent free, etc. etc. yada yada...

The M3 was a better daily driver to me because I viewed it as a more mundane car and so I didn't have all my usually rules and stipulations that I keep on my dedicated garaged sports cars.

Listen, I just sold my Mercedes CL600 to get my 2005 NSX. That MB is $140,000 new. Even selling it used, it sold for more than my 05 NSX. The level of luxury and refinement, parts quality and the types of materials used on my MB versus the NSX is night and day. NIGHT AND DAY. The MB sucked its doors shut... my rearview mirror was motorized.. AC and massage in the seats... and a super smooth V12 that pulled like a locomotive... but I have 5X the fun in the NSX. Its all about driving fun in the NSX. How it looks, and it looks great, is just a bonus.

I am sorry, I don't mean this in a bad way... but I can drive 10 minutes and see five M3's. I have seen one other NSX in the past 2 years here. In another year, your M3 will just be the "old" body style. In another year, people will still ask of your NSX "what kinda car is that? Is that a Ferrari? I have never seen one before".

My MB was in the shop A LOT. If that was did not have a warranty, I'd be typing this to you from a homeless shelter. The NSX is solid. 15 years of this car has made it very reliable and it was solid from the start. I don't think you need to worry about a warranty. If you are, you can always buy a warranty but I wouldn't.

You will definitely take a bath on the M3. Thats the shitty part. But I can tell you that you will LOVE an 02+ NSX. And it holds it value waaaaay better than anything else comparable. The NSX for years was Intellichoice's #1 car for lowest cost of ownership.

By the way, 2005 is the last year for this NSX. No such thing as 2006,2007.

Thank You everyone for your replies.

i havent had any issues with my m3 thank god. So is it worth lossing the fully automatic top(crappy softtop), with a newer clearner interior, with heat seats? I guess its hard just because the m3 is a litterally a newer car. And i dont mind that the nsx is older but...... Damn nsx is hot for sure.

do 95's have slow window up, problems too?
I know after my warantee on my m3 expires its gonna be scary. but how reliable is a 1995?

veilstylez said:
Thank You everyone for your replies.

do 95's have slow window up, problems too?
I know after my warantee on my m3 expires its gonna be scary. but how reliable is a 1995?

http://philip.greenspun.com/materialism/cars/nsx.html

"The NSX was rated in 1995 as the most reliable car for the previous 5 years" by JD Powers. I think that should help ease your worries a little. Make sure the maintenance has been done and you should be worry free. :biggrin:

Be nice about the M3, after 70000 miles, my 01 M3 now runs great and is really reliable. I finally know why BMW owners love their M3. Of course, this is after a new VANOS, new coil packs, new computer, new plugs, new O2 sensors and harnesses, new throttle body, new vacuum hoses. It took them a week to finally figure why I had different CELs and the car ran like crap intermittently. Fortunately, all of this was under warranty. Really nice now except for the interior trim which keeps falling down, well, that is what contact cement is for. I wish I had my NSX back.

Tim

Back