• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Silver State Challenge Classic - how should I prep?

So I am giving serious consideration to checking off the box on my 'Bucket List' next to the Silver State Challenge Classic this year. For those wondering what that is, here you go: http://www.sscc.us/

For those too lazy to click that link, the event is essentially a little over 90 miles of closed off public Nevada road where you enter into a speed group based on your comfort level (and car preparation level) and try to cover the 90 + mile distance faster than the other people in your class. While this sounds like 'hey, no problem', it is an event that commands great consideration and event greater respect for the possibility that you can get killed. People have died doing this event. While any clown can go fast for a couple of miles, 90 + miles at max speed is a LOT of wear on both the car, and the driver....which brings me here.

I know at least 1 or 2 NSXers have done this event, but I am also interested in hearing from people that have done similar events where similar preparation is involved. So, besides the obvious things like making sure the car has proper tires that will not come apart at max speed, what else should I do to make sure that my NSX will not destroy itself? I have concerns about the engine and transmission temperatures, and also of other drive train components becoming excessively hot to the point of failure. I also am curious if any aerodynamic modifications would need to be made to complete the event with stability.

If I was piddling along in the 100 - 120 mph class ranges, I would not be as worried, but my intention is to enter in the speed classes around 140 - 160 mph range, and I am aware that this is a totally different animal in terms of stress on the vehicle to hold those speeds for long distances. So....where do I start?

Hi Mitch! Man you Indy dudes and dudettes lost some NSX's here recently.

-sorry-

NSXCA magazine. Read Mr. King's travails and memoirs.

Hi Mitch! Man you Indy dudes and dudettes lost some NSX's here recently.

-sorry-

NSXCA magazine. Read Mr. King's travails and memoirs.

Yes we did....but as long as I still have mine, I am okay with that. :)

I have read Mr. King's article in NSX Driver, but wanted to get some additional insights since it is a pretty risky endeavor.

Becareful dude and drive safe

Thanks! That is why I am doing the precautions and planning part now. I want to be ready, and have the car be ready. Running max speed for that long is something I want to be ready for.

Thanks! That is why I am doing the precautions and planning part now. I want to be ready, and have the car be ready. Running max speed for that long is something I want to be ready for.

Talk to Tom (King); I explored with him the same thought several years ago and he gave me a great video and what might entail; other priorities came into play and would still love to do the run one day before reflexes start fading quicker :redface::wink:

The variables are many in such a program; and Tom is great at sharing them. I have seen Tom's NSX and what prep he has done to it; roll cage, transmission cooler, etc .... Shad just worked on his car. Unless you have done such events and can pass the organizer's qualification as a driver that has solid prior experience (not just car prep), I strongly recommend you focus and keep your sight at entering at no higher than the 100-120 mph "average" speeds; the requirements also are less for the car too. Even driving at average speed of 120 mph is no joke. I wouldn't even think of max speed :eek: The stress on you and your passenger is probably will be more than what it will be on a well prepped and teched NSX.

According to the rule book you have to compete in the Touring Division before you can enter into the Grand Touring Division or obtain a waiver from SCCA.

LICENSE REQUIREMENTS:
1) Touring and Grand Touring: Recognized competition license is recommended.
2) Grand Sport, Super Sport and Unlimited: Recognized competition license, experience, or previous SSCC participation, as a driver is required.
3) RECOGNIZED COMPETITION LICENSES: SCCA, IMSA, USAC, PRO-NASCAR, FIA, NASA.
Other licenses may be approved at the discretion of the Event Director.

IV. TOURING DIVISION
Classes: 95, 100, 105, 110
Technical Speed: 124 mph
The following are the Minimum Requirements for the Touring Division:
1. The Touring Division shall have a top speed of 124 mph.
A. This speed may not be exceeded at any time.
B. The Touring Division will be led by a pace vehicle that will not exceed 124 mph.
2. A 2.5 lb. Minimum, automotive BC fire extinguisher, with a secure quick-release mounting bracket made of metal. The extinguisher must be within easy reach of the Driver.
3. Correctly installed factory seat belts, OEM or better, is the Minimum Standard.
A. Belts must be in “as new” condition.
B. Belts of not more than five years of age are recommended.
C. The use of a proper racing safety harness system is highly recommended.
D. For specifications, see section XII, page 18.
E. With regard to harness bars – SSCC will simply go by the design and intent of the manufacturer. i.e. Harness bar (harnesses can be mounted directly to it) or harness guide bar (harnesses must be attached to an approved attachment point and simply guided by the bar).
4. A competition approved Roll Bar for an open vehicle is required. See Roll Bar Specs, Section X, Page 15.
5. DOT approved “U” rated tires (or better) will be considered the Minimum Requirement. DOT approved “H”, “V”, or “Z” rated tires are recommended.
6. 2011 events will require a SNELL Foundation SA 2005 (or later) helmet in good condition as the minimum standard. Shatter proof eye protection is recommended (shatter proof eyeglasses will be considered the Minimum Standard). Motorcycle helmets will NOT be accepted.
A. Full face helmet is recommended.
B. A Nomex head sock is recommended.
C. A padded helmet support (headrest) is recommended.
D. Helmet Restraint System, such as Hans, Hutchins or similar, is recommended.
7. See Section IX, page 14 for clothing specifications.
8. A radio scanner is recommended. Any scanner capable of receiving the 144 MHz – 148 MHz frequency range.
9. No parachutes. If vehicle is such equipped, the parachutes must be removed from the vehicle.
10. No Nitrous Oxide Injection or similar power increase allowed. If the vehicle is such equipped, the bottle must be removed from the vehicl

Regarding License Requirements, if you have tracked enough with reputable track organizations (HPDE), you can get a waiver pursuant to the discretion of the Event Director. But you must be able to provide proof in writing from such track organizers. I was able to get one at the time. Also the NSX-T is ok without a roll bar - hence why I strongly recommend staying in the touring division (especially if one is running with T).

Talk to Tom (King); I explored with him the same thought several years ago and he gave me a great video and what might entail; other priorities came into play and would still love to do the run one day before reflexes start fading quicker :redface::wink:

The variables are many in such a program; and Tom is great at sharing them. I have seen Tom's NSX and what prep he has done to it; roll cage, transmission cooler, etc .... Shad just worked on his car. Unless you have done such events and can pass the organizer's qualification as a driver that has solid prior experience (not just car prep), I strongly recommend you focus and keep your sight at entering at no higher than the 100-120 mph "average" speeds; the requirements also are less for the car too. Even driving at average speed of 120 mph is no joke. I wouldn't even think of max speed :eek: The stress on you and your passenger is probably will be more than what it will bIe on a well prepped and teched NSX.

I sent a message to Tom, thanks for the info.

I am planning to run alone. I could not stomach the idea of possibly endangering the life of someone else. If I mess up, I only want my life to be at risk, not that of anyone else.

Regarding licensing....I have been doing HPDEs since I was 16, and hold a SVRA license. Also, I have competed in the Car and Driver One Lap Of America. I hope that helps.

I would second going for the lower top speed limits just to get the lay of the land so next time you will be ready for more competative total time.

I would second going for the lower top speed limits just to get the lay of the land so next time you will be ready for more competative total time.

The lower speeds would not be worth it for me.

The lower speeds would not be worth it for me.

well then.... shine on you crazy diamond:biggrin: Please keep us in the loop on your experience.

Back