• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Single income teacher family seeks supercar

I have seriously been saving for about 8 years in
hopes of being able to own an NSX. Meanwhile, I have
rebuilt an 89 turbo rx7 and have bought and cherished
a red 91 miata which is like new. I know, that money
should have gone toward the ultimate prize, but they
were always just out of reach and I had to live a
little! Now, I am 34 with a two and three year old.
We are a one income family and I mostly drive a 94
minivan. Our mortgage is cheap (our house was 87K)
but we can't really take on more debt. I did build a
big polebarn and that is where my two cars spend most
of their time. I am looking for a "lower end" nsx,
100K+, maybe a salvage title, etc... I just want a 5
spd and I want to be able to drive it 2k a year
without lots of maintenance $. I have $20K total but I could probably sell
my miata (25K miles) for a lower mileage NSX. I have two and a half years until I have to take two children to school with me and my wife can go back to work. I would like to have the car and be able to drive it to work for a while before that. Anything you may come across and be able to tell me about is greatly appreciated. By the way, my wife will throw a fit if I sell the miata, so she will have to be impressed by the NSX.

That 91 would be great, but Orlando is a little far. Years ago, my wife and I bought a low mileage turbo 944 in florida only to fly down and find the owner sold it to someone else. There were no flights back because it was final four weekend. We bought a Legend (just to get back) and it turned out it had a rusted gas tank and died soon after. We ended up on a bus back to michigan for 26 hours. From porsche to legend to bus in two days. We call it our "legend of Florida".

Rotary it sound like your taking the farm and deciding to buy a NSX with it. Not to preach, but since your looking for a high mileage not in the best shape NSX for 22K ish there will probably be items which need fixing.

It would really suck to buy your dream car and it not be as much of a dream because of parts that need replacing or worse the timing belt pops and ruins the engine.

I've seen your posts on Rx7club.com too and I feel your pain as I am too looking for a 91'-94' black/black 5sp too, but everytime I find one I really want it's 35K. I am now content with driving the 03' Cobra until I can save another few thousand to buy the most gorgeous japanese sports car ever made.

Good luck and enjoy raising those kids I have a 2,4,5 and 12 year old, so I know how it feels.

Jasil, Your warning is well taken. But I am generally very frugal (econ degree/teacher!) and never spend money on myself other than to fix my cars. Our house will be paid off in 8 years and all of our cars are paid for. In 2.5 years, it should be easily affordable, I just want it now! I promise, I'll only drive it 2k a year and wash it every day. Mobil 1 oil changes every 6 months or less. Please!
I could have bought a 30K for $27K (western Michigan) a year ago and just couldn't get it together. I have been kicking myself ever since. :frown:

If you want one that has high mileage and is reasonably well kept, you are probably going to have to travel. The warmer climate states are where you will find most of those cars in your price/mileage range.

With 25K. you should be able to find something. However can you handle the insurance and repairs.

here are the costly item
timing belt & water pump service. $1400
Clutch- $2000-3000
A/C up to $2500
Out of Snap ring range hopefully.

Seriously if you can find a good car. There isnt too many cars out there that can give you more driving satisfaction for 25K.. (My opinion of course).

That car is about perfect for me, but I can't fly to houston just to see a car. Are you sure that none of you have an extra nsx and you vacation in Michigan? I keep thinking I should forget about it and buy an old 928 (I know, I probably can't afford one of those either, parts and all) but then I look at my cherished 91 brochure again. And to think I turned down a job as a stock broker to go back to school to be a physics teacher, but this is really the only aspect of my life that makes me doubt it. I guess thats good. Thanks for looking for me!

rotaryjunky said:
That car is about perfect for me, but I can't fly to houston just to see a car.
If you think this might be the car for you, you can post in the Southcentral US forum and ask if an NSX owner in Houston would check out the car for you. It’s possible someone even knows about the car first-hand. If it seems accurately represented and you want to go forward, send a deposit and have a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) performed (either at an Acura dealer or a shop that specializes in NSXs like AutoLogic) before you fly down. Just an idea. Good luck!

I am a little concerned about the chip being added and the new clutch at 35K. But I guess most all nsx's have been driven hard. Trust me, I am looking at the finances again. Thanks again for your responses!

Chris

Understanding that the car was driven "spiritedly" I would look favorably on there being a new clutch, that's $2000-$3000 that you won't have to spend so soon for service, and if you drive it properly can last longer I think.

Back