• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Skippy's 10 Year Thread (mess-o-pics)

When I bought this car 10 years ago I told anyone who would listen that I was in it for the long haul, that I was a True Believer. In the decade since my resolve never wavered. Not once. That said, here are some snaps and commentary from Year 10!

Every year I search my photo database for pictures tagged "NSX" from the prior year and it always seems start off with pictures of my car getting a bath in the driveway. It was painted in 2009, and the finish still looks quite nice when it's clean and waxed.
DSC_2776.jpg

January & February around here can provide the most perfect daytime top-off driving weather imaginable, and I do a lot of that.
DSC_2821.jpg

From the beach to the swamps of old Florida.
DSC_2875.jpg

Photographers know of a thing called "Golden Hour." It happens when the sun is very, very low on the horizon and provides a quality of lighting that can't be beat. I caught it here.
DSC_4573.jpg

In June I ordered new seat skins from leatherseats.com.
DSC_4574.jpg

When I got home from work one Friday I took my seats out and brought them in the house. On Sunday morning the seats were done and ready to put back in the car.
DSC_4589.jpg

I think they look great!
DSC_4670.jpg

Unlike most years, there weren't any big road trips for me and my NSX in Year 10. Still, we did manage to pack it up and hit the road in a smaller way a couple times.
IMG_1236.jpg

Nothing like spending a few hours on the highway during Love Bug season in Florida!
DSCN0738.jpg

While I'm not as into it as I used to be, I do sometimes go cruising and to shows with other local car guys, even when it means getting up at the buttcrack of dawn to meet in some lonely mall parking lot.
DSC_4833.jpg

I had heart surgery in August and my wife took over lawn mowing duties while I recovered. Every time after mowing she would come in and gripe about how I needed a new mower and so I added another Honda to the stable. :)
IMG_2802.jpg

I had put the supercharger on the year before and at the same time lost my engine cover (and targa clamshell). I liked the look of exposed engine under glass, but it just didn't look "finished" so at the end of the summer I purchased an NSX-R replica cover from SOS. I like it!
DSC_5091.jpg

I also have started attending a local monthly Cars & Coffee gathering. It's sort of amazing the amount of love and respect the NSX gets at these events.
DSC_5120.jpg

The supercharger now has about 18 months and 12,000 miles on it and performed perfectly until a couple weeks ago when my mechanic told me one of the idler bearings is making noise and should be replaced. I contacted Nate at CT-Engineering and he immediately shipped out a replacement at no cost, which was great.
DSC_5125.jpg

We may live in modest home, and our cars may be old enough to vote, but everything we own is 100% paid for and no one can say we don't take care of our stuff. This includes giving the cars a professional spa day periodically.
DSC_5609.jpg

These guys are good. Actually, they're better than good. All you need to be "good" around here is to show up on time and do what you were contracted to do. These guys did that and more. Will be using them again.
DSC_5619.jpg

I drive this car to work every day. The quickest way to work is for me to jump on I-75 and haul ass for a couple exits and boom, I'm there. I almost never do that. Instead I drive back roads and take 3x as long but enjoy a lovely drive. Sometimes I stop and take a pic.
IMG_2902.jpg

Here's that Golden Hour thing again.
IMG_2918.jpg

Halloween is always a fun day to take the roof and take the long slow way to work. ;)
IMG_2822.jpg

Finally, a few weeks ago I took my car to Ocala (about 150 miles north of here) and participated in a "WannaGoFast" event. It's a 1/2 mile side-by-side race taking place on a private airstrip. That was a real hoot! Not only a lot of fun to drive, but I also met a couple great NSX owners and also a lot of complete strangers who wanted to look at and talk about my NSX.
DSC_5933.jpg

I discovered that my speedometer is off by quite a lot at higher speeds. According to the track timer I ran 134 MPH, but the video I made shows my speedo at about 120 MPH. I'll be having my mechanic look at that. Here is the video - same run from two different cameras.

https://vimeo.com/117756111

And finally, to wrap things up, what would a look back be without a look back?
IMG_2774.jpg

Until next year!

I really enjoyed the read and pictures. Thank you for sharing! :)

Really cool thread. I remember meeting you and your +1 a few years back at a meet up in Clermont. I was the guy from Mississippi with the black 91. Brooklands has never been my favorite NSX color but it is growing on me, especially given how few you see. Nice to see an NSX that is daily driven. That's starting to become a rarity, too.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: Was distressed to hear you had heart surgery. But glad that you seem to have mended well. Nice new Honda, btw.

Very cool and glad to see you enjoying your car as much as you have been!! I too am a long time owner!! (13 years or so now)

Really cool thread. I remember meeting you and your +1 a few years back at a meet up in Clermont. I was the guy from Mississippi with the black 91.

I remember. I think that was the best year for the NSXCapades. Have you been back since then?

PS: Was distressed to hear you had heart surgery. But glad that you seem to have mended well. Nice new Honda, btw.

I had a valve replaced, not a huge deal. My heart has a serial number now! :D

Great thread. Loved the vid that you had in your sig too. To the next ten years! :)

I've been working on a new video, but haven't decided if I'll make a "Part 2" for just the last 4 years or if I'll reboot it and make a new video for all 10 years. I'd rather have one big vid, but the number of pictures is going to require a longer song and corresponding attention span.

This is the old video. It covers March 2005 to December 2010.

https://vimeo.com/21212538

It's 7.5 minutes long and has just about 200 pictures. I've been working on a combined 10 year version. Started with almost 4,000 pictures and whittled it down to about 500. Realistically, I need to cut that in half and then find a 9-ish minute long song with the needed attributes to make it appropriate for a slideshow video. That ain't easy. Alternatively, I could make a sequel video that covers 2011 to the present. Make it ~100 pictures and 3 or 4 minutes long and concentrate on doing a nice job. Decisions, decisions...

I remember. I think that was the best year for the NSXCapades. Have you been back since then?

Have not been back. I don't really follow the Florida forum like I should so I probably missed one or two that I might have been able to make. That was a very fun meet-up but it did make my NSX look a bit old and tired compared to some of the high dollar and/or high effort examples that were there. I did make it to a Cars and Coffee in St. Pete a couple years ago!

I'm a big fan of that first video too skippy, I remember watching it when I was still looking for my NSX as inspiration. Thanks for the new 10 year thread and a possible new extended version video.

Fantastic stuff Skippy - thanks for taking the time and for sharing. Inspirational ! Beautiful scenery, beautiful NSX, and looks like a beautiful life. Cheers! Jay

Oh, I forgot a pic. Over the last year the pineapple plantation has really come together. It's built from 16 rear tires that came from my car. You can't see them from this angle yet, but I count 8 baby pineapples in the 16 plants. This is *perfect* because it usually takes two years for a plant to produce a pineapple, so getting 1/2 each year is ideal.
DSC_6123.jpg

The fruits that come off these plants are incredibly sweet. Forget those green things at the grocery store, this is what a properly ripe pineapple looks like.
DSC_4902.jpg

I've got 2 more rear tires and another 2 will be available later this summer. Not sure what to do with them, but I'll think of something.

Nice thread! Glad to hear all is well after surgery! It has been a few years since we met. There was a get together followed by a car show, I think down your way where I met Ole and you. I ran across some pix of that day a few weeks ago. I've been out of state a lot since and drives never seem to coincide with being in town. Looking forward to next time. Take care.
Richard

Great video and Pics and Yea - Your speedometer is way off!

I'm very happy for you, keep taking pictures for the 20th anniversary thread ;)

Back