• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Slow To Warm Up

Beginning very recently, I have recently been experiencing long warm-up times in my NSX, on the order of 12-15 minutes. Based on my research here on prime, I really don't think long warm-up times should be the norm, although they seem to be common. In my car under normal warm-up, the heater used to begin providing a little bit of warmth after about 2-3 minutes, with full heat after driving 5 minutes, this after a cold start with no idling, ie start and go. Granted, it is cold and snowy here now, but a warm-up time of 12-15 minutes is just too long - something is wrong.

Recently, I added coolant (50/50 mix) to the overflow bottle under the rear glass. On the way to work, it took the same long period to warm up. But on the way home from work, it started warming at the usual point. I added coolant a second time after that, and since then warm-up seems normal.

Reportedly the NSX thermostat has a rubber gasket that frequently swells and breaks, causing the thermostat to become blocked open, causing slow warm-up. Aftermarket thermostats eliminate the rubber gasket, are inexpensive (Stant [very reputable brand] makes a thermostat for the NSX for under $20) and work just fine. Even the oem Honda thermostat isn't terribly expensive. If you are an intrepid do-it-yourselfer, you could probably replace the thermostat for less than $20 (thermostat and a little coolant). I think you could get the thermostat replacement done at the dealer for less than $250.

I will be keeping an eye on the temperature gauge to see how it warms up in the future. I still may end up needing a thermostat replacement.

Last edited:
My 97 was very slow to warm up until I replaced the tstat a year ago. Now my car is fully warmed up 3-4 miles (depending on temperature) from my house.

The replacement part (Acura) was different from the original. It is clear Honda changed the part because the original didn't hold up. It wasn't expensive.

I've got a 98... takes at least 5-10 minutes to move the gauge..
However, here in the Texas heat, I can go all day in city traffic and it stays cool... so no complaints.

I just replaced my stat and it warms up in about 5 mins. at 35 degrees F. (outside temp). It took about 3/4 gallon of antifreeze to refill and top off.
Good Luck!

Ditto - same thing happened to mine about 2 years ago. I put in a replacment thermostat from NAPA and problem solved. Its a common failure due to the Honda design - nobody else uses a rubber gasket on the opening/closing disc. This is one time I recommend a non-Honda replacement part.

I had the thermostat replaced (they insisted on using an OEM Honda replacement thermostat) at the Car Doctor in Falls Church, Virginia. It is opening up when it is supposed to now. Five minute warm-up should be the norm.

Last edited:
Back