• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Smell rubber burn.

My car made a rubber burning smell when one of the exhaust hangers was touching the pipes on my Pride V1 exhaust.

I will take a look under the car this weekend if that would be the problem. But I have noticed the car lost power in 3rd gear and followed burning rubber smell that would not be the exhaust hangers

BTW, what is the most durable clutch for CTSC? Shad at Driving Ambition does not recommend the clutches from SOS but he prefers Exedy Clutch. Any opinions about Exedy?

BTW, what is the most durable clutch for CTSC? Shad at Driving Ambition does not recommend the clutches from SOS but he prefers Exedy Clutch. Any opinions about Exedy?

As far as I can tell, all Exedy clutches for the NSX require the longer-spline input shaft from the NSX-R. Part 23210-PR8-N00.

Diagnosis is required before you launch the parts cannon.

The CTSC, what puts out an extra 70hp(?). I found the stock clutch to be just fine, then again I'm old and didn't street race my car. Old man: Shift smoothly at low RPM, then WOT = FUN.

I'd give FT Wayne Clutch a call and see if they can rebuild your clutch.

Is Exedy clutch stiffer than OEM and Would it be pain in the neck to drive it in stop and go traffic condition?

I have no idea. I use an SOS 350 and like it’s feel but the initial one lasted only 14k miles. I had it rebuilt and we’ll see how it goes this time. I have a long-spline mainshaft on the shelf and will put it in next time I need to change the clutch, to allow more clutch options.

>Is Exedy clutch stiffer than OEM

If this is a concern: I highly recommend you call Fort Wayne clutch. They can likely rebuild your clutch and use kevlar -- or other linings as required -- as the friction material.

They have some success with P-car DMF's and can likely do the NA2 DMF. It will save you thousands of dollars and you might get a better experience.

However, you have not reported back on any results of testing for a worn clutch....?

>Is Exedy clutch stiffer than OEM

If this is a concern: I highly recommend you call Fort Wayne clutch. They can likely rebuild your clutch and use kevlar -- or other linings as required -- as the friction material.

They have some success with P-car DMF's and can likely do the NA2 DMF. It will save you thousands of dollars and you might get a better experience.

However, you have not reported back on any results of testing for a worn clutch....?

I still have not taken the car to the mechanic because it is 2 hour drive and he still has not slowly responded to my email about the quote of new clutch. I have talked to him on the phone and explained the symptoms of the car as I have indicated here. From what he said it could likely the clutch. Otherwise the engine bay shows no rubber burns that I could see.

Update... It took more than 3 months to bring the car to the shop due to unavailable parts. It is the clutch, not the supercharge nor the belt. According to Shad, the clutch was not OEM clutch after he drove it. He was surprised that I was able to make it there for 2 hour-drive with that bad clutch. He will put in CT Powergrip I.

CT clutch is still available?

Yes, from Driving Ambition where he builds it, he might has the copyright? He also makes CT supercharger. The new CT Power Grip I is lighter than the old one and it engages quickly. The old clutch also was CT clutch (not sure Power Grip II or I, but it was heavier). Someone before me installed it incorrectly, bended the disc while installing it, and used the wrong grease according to Shad. Therefore disc was worn out unevenly at early age and slipped ( 35,700 on Odometer and worn out. And before that, I even don't know when the OEM clutch was replaced). The flying wheel of the old one also has some burned areas.

Last edited:
the older CT clutches were Sachs units sized to nsx.

I have a Beck Arnley nsx clutch kit in my basement ,purchased in 2009 , its a Sachs clutch kit , I was surprised when I opened it up . I have used Sachs clutches for a long time , good clutches . many Germans cars use Sachs

Last edited:
^^ I believe Sachs is just another brake manufacturer.

Sachs was a major suspension provider to F1 in the early 2000's. They were also the damper used by Dorikin himself as the basis for his "Kei Office" NSX suspension, which became the DG-5.

CT clutch is still available?

Yes, from Driving Ambition...

the older CT clutches were Sachs units sized to nsx.

Shad's site lists the replacement clutch disc for the CT PG1:
http://www.drivingambitionmotorsports.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=30

Didn't realize he could still source the other parts and offer full clutch. That is great news. I've had the PG2 for around 20 years, love it. When it goes, I'm calling Shad for new (PG1) disc.

I believe Sachs was the manufacturer of OEM Porsche clutches for a long time...and indeed is who made the original PG1/2 clutches (or at least some of their components).

Last edited:
Back