• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Smoke coming out of exhaust during track day

On my latest track day, a 997 GT3 3.8 L that was following me took a video that worries me a little.
One can see some fumes coming out of the exhaust especially at the exit of the hairpin when I'm in second gear at 2'02"
Should I be concerned???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M12mEPpD1CI&feature=youtu.be

Have you been in the rev limiter at 2:02 in the NSX?

A standard NSX runs at around AFR 13.0 WOT with a little enrichment around VTEC point.

As long as you don't loose coolant or oil...

I see you are using a LF kit. Are you also using a scavenge pump? If not that is probably your issue, the oil is overwhelming the gravity drain's ability to purge.

+1.
I saw another NSX turbo kit with a scavenge pump but the location was not ideal so it would still smoke. it was an attempt to mitigate the problem but not actually solving the problem as it looks "add-on".

Interesting comments!
How does the scavenge pump work?
It's clear that the car is coming out of high G corners that must flush the oil sideways just before I apply full throttle.
Could it cause serious issues to the engine?

Now I understand better, it's about the oil not draining correctly out of the turbo.
I had seen the thread you mention but didn't seem to have the issue until this latest track day?
There's another video on the same track taken in 2017 where I'm followed by a 991 GT3 ( 475 hp) and there's almost no smoke coming out of the exhaust.
Check from 6'33" onwards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvS3UwvfzeQ&list=FLoe6PovyXNTYPQBX7V3_yeA&index=10&t=0s
Could it be the turbo on it's way out???
I will also check if my oil return line is still routed under the sway bar since the return to the OEM bar?
Well, I double checked and the oil return line is now positionned above the sway-bar...
I'll get that fixed asap!

Last edited:
Back