• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Snap Ring going

Well My snap ring is going the car started making noises on decelleration somewhere between a whirring and a slight grinding. After getting tech friends to ride and listen they verified it was tranny noise, then i noticed in second gear the shift lever jumping forward and new from this forum that it was the snap ring going at minimum. Thank goodness i have a spare jdm short gear tranny waiting for this situation. more after i change tranny monday or tuesday with C-Speed's shop and help. :biggrin:
p.s. I'm sure the ctsc didnt help to make it last LOL

well since no one seems to have any interest in thist post i guess there will be no follow up of pics with recovered pieces of snap ring and the pulling and adding of new tranny as well as d2 coil over shocks and excedy twin plate clutch being installed:redface:

Just because no one replied does not mean there's no interest. Go ahead and post pics of carnage and your NSX with the new mods! :)

What is the mileage on your car? A lot of us are interested in the theory of preventative maintenance on a car in the range but not exhibiting any problems especially when purchasing a used vehicle in range but with no fix and no problems...to fix or assume after a certain mileage all is good.

Keith

Mine "snapped" around 60K and was the perfect excuse for an SOS rebuild with shorties and new final drive. Good luck!!

BTY- In case you don't already know - there is a small port that you can open and look into the tranny. My NSX tech easily opened it and handed me a chunk of my broken snap ring. :frown:

blodi said:
My car is in range and shows no signs so far with 34K, but I am also interested at what milage you are at and such.

mine went at 36k if im not mistaken:wink:

FeetFxr said:
BTY- In case you don't already know - there is a small port that you can open and look into the tranny. My NSX tech easily opened it and handed me a chunk of my broken snap ring. :frown:

By the way, my Acura District service rep. looked at mine and said it wasnt broken and looked okay as well. "Nothing to worry about" he said and he worked for Acura for 15 years.

It broke shortly there after:biggrin:

smithk3933 said:
What is the mileage on your car? A lot of us are interested in the theory of preventative maintenance on a car in the range but not exhibiting any problems especially when purchasing a used vehicle in range but with no fix and no problems...to fix or assume after a certain mileage all is good.
As noted in the FAQ, a transmission in the snap ring range can fail at any time. Some have failed at under 30K miles, and others not until well over 100K.

Having the snapring go is a good thing, you throw in the shortgears and you will never be hapier.
So you better have a NSX in snapringrange :)

hmmm well when know one replies if it doesnt mean people arnt interested im not sure what it does mean. Never fear my feelings are not hurt i just wanted to make sure someone was interested in the situation before i waisted any keyboard time. The jdm tranny is in, as well as the excey clutch and the coilovers. Just a few more bolts to button things up and hopefully everything will work. Of course the shocks will need adjusting and then alignment must be done. hopefully i can get some pics posted and keep things updated here. The car has 55k about 10k more than when purchased in the spring of 05 and as metioned before im sure the ctsc didnt help longivity of the tranny

P.S. I could never have gotten this done with out the help of C-SPEED and his new shop. Not in the timely manner it was done atleast. He did all the technical stuff and most of the wrenching i helped as much as possible but a great big thanks is in order. C-speed is truly Amazing:biggrin:

The Kid said:
mine went at 36k if im not mistaken:wink:

Thanks for now making me worry........
I guess I will be seriously suprised if it happens soon, my tranny is very tight and shows absolutly no play in first when driving. But I guess it wouldn't give me much warning either.

What if I told you your snap ring could be broken with no signs of failure:).

I did a trans swap for someone years ago. The original trans was working perfectly and we installed a new trans with short gears. The transmission was stored by me for about two years. Another person came to me and wanted shot gears, so to make sure the car was not tied up for too long, I rebuilt that trans so it would be a quick swap. To my surprise the perfectly working trans had a snap ring is four pieces. It was in range, but no sign of failure.

This is why it is always a good idea the inspect a snap ring trans, especially if the car is in for a trans service:). It only takes a few minutes to check.

Also remember, as "The Kid" points out, a good snap ring today, does not mean a good snap ring tomorrow.

HTH,
LarryB

Larry Bastanza said:
This is why it is always a good idea the inspect a snap ring trans, especially if the car is in for a trans service:). It only takes a few minutes to check.
Heck, if a snap ring range NSX is in for a transmission service - actually opening the transmission up, not just flushing the fluid - you may as well replace the snap ring and upper transmission case while you've got it opened up. There's virtually no additional labor, just the cost of the parts, and you'll never have to worry about it again.

well the project is finished except for some slight adjustments and the car is a completely different beast. between the lighter fly wheel, stronger clutch, short gear tranny,and d2 coilovers I am very,very pleased. the car is an animal now and with the ctsc on top of the other mods it behaves like I was hoping for and more. At the present the car is slammed and will I raise it a 1/4 inch or maybe a little more with c-speed's help, then get allignment done. The excedy twin grabs great and i have no probs with with clutch preasure or on/off all though it was already used there for that may have helped ,the lighter fly wheel sure revs better. the short gears are a kick in the pants, and the d2 coilovers with 11 front /8 rear spring rates are stiff but dont jar my teeth and the ride is good. all in all i love the shit out of it :biggrin: I will post pics of finished product and pieces of broken snap rig soon hopefully. oh ya new Ark quad tip exhaust on the way.

Back