• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Snap Ring Repair in NH / MA

Looking for a shop to repair a 1991 in the snap ring range. Spoke to local Acura dealership and they were uncertain of the repair. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Radio has loud buzzing in both speakers. Is this the head unit or speakers?

Clutch also grabs very high. Is this normal or is it nearing the end of its life.

Thanks.

Looking for a shop to repair a 1991 in the snap ring range. Spoke to local Acura dealership and they were uncertain of the repair. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Radio has loud buzzing in both speakers. Is this the head unit or speakers?

Clutch also grabs very high. Is this normal or is it nearing the end of its life.

Thanks.

Just because it is in range, doesn't mean it is affected. Pull the inspection plug and look at the snap ring. If it is cracked or you find pieces of snap ring in the inspection hole, then get it repaired. Otherwise, leave it be.

If it coincides with the engine RPMs then you likely have the wrong spark plugs or you have some arc'ing going on. If it buzzes even with the engine off then your amps in the speaker units need to be rebuilt. Common problem. BrianK on this forum rebuilds them for a reasonable price.

Clutch grabbing high is normal. If it doesn't slip at full throttle in top gear it is fine.

what year NSX? how many miles on the car? a little more info please.

yes the clutch is very high before it engages this is normal

speakers amps need repair contact Briank

as for the snap ring dont you think that the previous owner already had this taken care of?

back then they we doing it for free from the dealer. as a recall

and if your car has high miles you may not be effected. since it would have snapped already.

My 92 is in snap ring range and its over 120K miles now either it was fixed or I was one of the lucky ones
( knock on wood )

and why do you need to fix it? how do you know it needs fixing? or since its in sanp ring range you just wanna throw your money away to have it replaced before it breaks?

its your wallet

Last edited:
Mitch at Mechanics Direct in Lowell MA is the generally recognized NSX expert in the New England area if you don't want to drive to NY for Larry.

That said, the other comments are correct. Most everyone repairs the snap ring once it has snapped, not preventatively unless you are doing some other work on the transmission.

Thanks to everyone for the quick reply. I guess I was under the impression that if the snap ring went, I would do significant damage to the transmission. The car has around 55K and the current owner did not do anything. Not sure about previous 2 owners.

How costly is the speaker repair?

Thanks to everyone for the quick reply. I guess I was under the impression that if the snap ring went, I would do significant damage to the transmission. The car has around 55K and the current owner did not do anything. Not sure about previous 2 owners.

If the snap ring breaks, stop driving immediately. Also, you can inspect the snap ring via the inspection hole(just remove the threaded plug). The wiki explains what to look for. If there are no visible cracks and no pieces of snap ring sitting in the inspection hole you should be fine. To be safe you could inspect it every 30K(when you change your transmission fluid).

What is the trans serial number, and the VIN?

In regard to the clutch grabbing high, it is hard to say, since they all grab relatively high. If it grabs high, and as soon as it grabs your foot is off the pedal, it is worn out. Recently had one like this, no slip, but it was worn down to the rivets.

If the snap-ring is bad you will get fore-aft movement of the shifter in 1st/2nd when goosing the throttle. Also the snap-ring can be broken and jammed in place and there is no symptom. Inspection is in order as Ed suggested.

The bottom line is this. If the snap-ring is not broken and loose, and you have no strange noises (gears rubbing inside the trans) you can inspect it and probably it is OK. I would not perform this repair unless either it is broken, or you are installing a clutch, since that requires the trans to come out and you will save $$ and not do the labor twice. Conversely if you do the repair, it is the time for a clutch.

Also FYI, recently I inquired about the parts needed for this repair, and they are all available. I have done quite a few;). PM me if you like:).

Regards,
LarryB

Back