• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Snowflakes and oddsmakers

Since science and mathimatical equations make us think about what in the heck the universe it is all about, what are the odds?

As small as a snowflake is, they say no two are alike. However, would you think that that, is still true with say, a billion, a trillion, more? Can there ever be two completly identical snowflakes?

What about grains of sand?

Or living organisms.

Anything?

Depending on some of your answers, I'll throw out another intriguing question that relates to the odds! :smile:

Jack

Last edited:
well, IVE only seen a handful of different ones, tiny/small/medium/big :tongue:

i would say it is possible, also with sand, probably more probable with sand since it is non living but its probable that there have probably been more snowflakes over time.

The reason I use the snowflake analogy is because something that small and abundant that can't be duplicated exactly is one reason why I believe that intelligent life (other than us, beings that can build a radio telescope) dosen't exist! That means I don't believe in aliens and that I think, humans are the only ones. No I'm not a religious zealot. Why can't we be the only ones?

Just think if any number about scenarios didn't happen no human would exist.

Just off the top of my head here's some.

Could intelligence happen if?

Some medium sized hunk of iron from space didn't kill off the dominate species. (Dino)

The surface areas of water and dry land were reversed. Not enough water and it becomes too salty. No rain etc.

The Earth was slightly smaller or bigger, rotated slower or faster, spun slower or faster, tilted to much or not enough or was a little closer or farther from the sun. Or any wrong combinations. To big and gravity become a problem, to small and an atmosphere wouldn't hang around.

Temperature of the globe was to hot or cold.

The earth’s makeup of just the right elements in the right proportions weren't.

That other big hunk of iron that blew off a huge chunk of the Earth and created the Moon didn't.

No Moon and to large of a planet spinning differently with no axis.

To big of a moon and not enough planet.

How about just the perfect size meteors going just the right speed, angle and time to do the job had a different approach.

The perfect sized Sun at the perfect distance and a model of consistency wasn't.

Bad timing!

A million things I can't even think of.

So what I'm saying is ET's development, would have to have the same kind of pure chaotic luck to exist. I don't believe inflated numbers in favor for alien intelligence because stats don't tell the whole story. There could be only one stat used on a reason why we shouldn’t even be here. If nature can't duplicate a snowflake then what chance would it have duplicating what planet Earth needed to have intelligence. Our planet might be the one snowflake.

Anybody have something to add to that list or is there something (other than a bunch of large numbers that mean nothing) like a 4.5 billion year plan for alien intelligence that makes about as much sense as our own!

Any serious thoughts?
Believers, non, other! :smile:

Jack

that "no two snowflakes are alike" is just a saying... of course its possible to replicate a snowflake. its just chaos and a numbers game.

if somehow dinosaurs never got killed off and slowly evolved into more intelligent reptilian or bird species today. they'd be sitting here talking about how amazing it is that no asteroids have hit the earth to kill them off million of years ago.

they'd be sitting here talking about how amazing it is that no asteroids have hit the earth to kill them off million of years ago.

images

Well identical snowflakes and aliens in outer space are travelling and don't have the homefield advantage, so I'll put them at 3 point underdogs.

Well identical snowflakes and aliens in outer space are travelling and don't have the homefield advantage, so I'll put them at 3 point underdogs.

I hear rumors there is some alleged Alien activity going on just north of you and I'm not talking about illegals.

What are the lastest odds of us seeing some UFOs at the convention? I'll bring a camera! :smile:

Ya know we're light years ahead of them on the highways!

Jack

I hear rumors there is some alleged Alien activity going on just north of you and I'm not talking about illegals.

Well if the Aliens can get their star wide reciever back in the line up then that's probably good for 2 points or so. But the medical reports are saying they are questionable and day-to-day so I'm not sure if I'm willing to move the line.

As far as the over-under on the UFO sighting at the NSXPO, I'll take the under. I think the strong defense will keep it a low score game.

Back