• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So, is that what law enforcement wants our roads to look like ?

Still funny tho. And on GA highways everyone does drive really fast. You have to be going 85 to get pulled over most of the time.

I personally think those people were idiots.

There are a lot of laws out there...lets not start to believe that people have the time or place to enforce them all to a "T". If they raised the speed limit to 75, people would start driving 85-90...that's just human nature. Keeping it at 55 probably keeps a lot of people out of trouble....because quite frankly I don't think some poeple can handle a speed limit of 75.

How many people walk their dogs off leash, have sex in public, get drunk in public, change lanes without using their blinker, don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign (roll thru), drink underage, go hunting without a license (cheney)....the list goes on.

Obviously some laws are "flexable" and some aren't. If everything was set in stone, there would be no need for lawyers.....but do we need to tie up traffic in a major city just to prove a point and almost cause an accident? Thank you team obvious...55mph speed limits are stupid. Guess what, so is daylight savings time. Go to work an hour late an make a statement.

>>Guess what, so is daylight savings time.

Doctor - I don't understand your comment about daylight saving time. I personally like this, and feel it should be used year-round. Then, in the summer, we go on DOUBLE daylight saving time, and it stays late until 11pm.

BTW I commute early to be at work by 6am so I'm familiar with driving in the dark mornings, but I still like it.

What's your comment?

Soichiro said:
Then, in the summer, we go on DOUBLE daylight saving time, and it stays late until 11pm.
I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

In Belgium where I live, the MINIMUM speed limit is 80kph (50mph) on the freeways. You won’t get pulled over for going too fast, but everyone recognises that going too slow is dangerous and people might honk or flash you. You better be in the right hand lane if you go slow.

Getting pulled over is a very rare occurrence in Belgium, but I managed it once about 10 years ago.
I was towing a full trailer over a part of the freeway with really bad surface. I was going 50 mph for about 15 minutes.

Amazingly there was a cop there. I got pulled over for going too slow. I told him to get the damn road fixed and leave me alone, he gave my papers back and rode off. No ticket of course, doesn’t happen here.

Going too slow here is considered bad and stupid.
Fast is ok. Anybody/everybody can drive 90mph all day on the freeways, (even in high population areas). You still get passed regularly by people going 100mph.:tongue:
Peter

VampNSX said:
this guys are stupid. they did not make a point at all. they should go to jail.
nchopp said:
Retarded video and retarded kids. I'd book them all for reckless operation if I saw that.
John@Microsoft said:
Felony Stupidity

... and what law exactly did they break ??? :confused:

I've driven on many roads in different countries in the world. What you saw these students do is exactly what most drivers will do in some places, while refusing to let you go by if they are already going the speed limit.

nchopp said:
Retarded video and retarded kids. I'd book them all for reckless operation if I saw that.

Ironic since they were the only ones NOT breaking the speed law, don't you think? :confused: :rolleyes:

VampNSX said:
this guys are stupid. they did not make a point at all. they should go to jail.

I have to disagree....they proved that it is pretty dumb to have a 55 mph limit on a major expressway like that if it is not practical to actual traffic conditions. While their method was unusual, the point is still there for sure.

Meeyatch1 said:
I have to disagree....they proved that it is pretty dumb to have a 55 mph limit on a major expressway like that if it is not practical to actual traffic conditions. While their method was unusual, the point is still there for sure.

My issue stems from the fact that they simply proved a mute point, one in this instance that would be entirely obvious to the average person; and in doing so set the stage for a bad incident or accident to occur unneccessarily.

All they proved was what a worst case left hand violation - coupled with the average unobserved motorists bad behavior - looks like on video tape. I encourage them to send it in to the authorities if they believe they were technically in the right. They probably would. Again, felony stupid.

I really don't think it takes an experiment consuming all lanes on an interstate to attempt to prove that our traffic laws, particularly pre-emptive anal enforcement of interstate speed limits are ridiculous and do not reduce anything aside from checking account balances. 60mph on the highway, 25mph residential, or 10mph around a transit stations, everyone already gets the gist of the guideline.

Further, I think they missed the whole point, as there is no such thing as a safe speed, 25, 35, 55, 75, or otherwise. What would make a compelling difference to me is significantly reducing DWI's by pulling people's licenses on the second offense for at least a year, assigning lanes and speeds by conditions/vehicle type/driver classification, and being generally more reactive than pro-active with traffic enforcement.

IMO, if the states truely believed their own hype as much as they say, then they would simply have the NHTSA mandate GPS based speed limiting devices in all new vehicles right along side airbags and crash beams. It would be amazingly easy to cap it back at 55, and just go back to the days of federal speed limits if they wanted to. They have already added $4000+ to the cost of a new vehicle so if having everyone go 55mph is really that important to them why not just do it? It still won't solve any of the difficult problems they are trying to solve, and even they know it.

All I can offer is that as frusterating as the existing situation is, frankly I think it is unlikely it will change anytime soon. No voter would approve of any law that would allow a citizen to be pulled over, detained, and searched with or without probable cause at any time.

As a result we now have so many traffic laws and ordinances from so many special interests and fringe situations that it allows essentially the same outcome, and believe what you may this is the true intent. When ever it comes up to defending highway speed limits in the state Legislature’s, all you hear is some Sheriff or SP rep talking about the time they caught someone with $400 grand in drugs and cash for doing 74 in a 60 and that it is 'good' that the number of contacts with motorists continues to increase every year. Obviously that is their under handed admission that if it wasn't for the traffic laws they would be otherwise screwed in their attempt to solve crime, and would need to result to rely on actual police work as opposed to happen stance. :rolleyes:

The system sucks and is broken, yadda. yes... but there is no need to prove it in the way they did.. lets take it down to the bare bones what they really did.. which was piss off hundreds of motorists and create an unsafe situation for their own personal amusement. For what point? Hell our grand kids will be having the exact same discussion on the Honda S3000 forums 94 years from now.

Last edited:
Just goes to show when you get pulled over for speeding you are simply a duck being pulled out of the barrel at the carnival. All the ducks are floating in the water just like all the cars on the road are speeding. You lucky duck, you!

Meeyatch1 said:

OK so if I use this idiot students method to prove that drunk drivers should have there license taken away I would get all my friends drunk and drive around just to show how dangers that is and put it on tape. Who cares if I create a accident like this morons almost did. this morons could have got someone killed.

VampNSX said:
OK so if I use this idiot students method to prove that drunk drivers should have there license taken away I would get all my friends drunk and drive around just to show how dangers that is and put it on tape. Who cares if I create a accident like this morons almost did. this morons could have got someone killed.

Only those morons who wished to break the law and drive above the lawfully posted 55MPH speed limit. 55 is out dated the only reason 55 is still in place is so the states make money writing tickets.

Soichiro said:
>>Guess what, so is daylight savings time.

Doctor - I don't understand your comment about daylight saving time. I personally like this, and feel it should be used year-round. Then, in the summer, we go on DOUBLE daylight saving time, and it stays late until 11pm.

BTW I commute early to be at work by 6am so I'm familiar with driving in the dark mornings, but I still like it.

What's your comment?

My point was that if they want to break "laws" rebel against something like daylight savings time...show up to work late...and that way the only people they're screwing is themselves.

Since it appears you live in Atlanta, you probably don't know what it's like up North where in the winter, thanks to daylight savings, the sun sets around 4pm and it's pitch black by 4:30. Oh, and it's still dark in the morning anyhow, so just keep the damn hour.

When I see people driving slow, especially in the fast lane, I see RED. :mad: If they want to make a statement, fine....but they're practically laughing when the van tries to get around them and clips that disabled car on the side of the road. Perhaps it would have been funny if the van lost control and wiped all 4 of them out?

DrVolkl said:
My point was that if they want to break "laws" rebel against something like daylight savings time...show up to work late...and that way the only people they're screwing is themselves.

Since it appears you live in Atlanta, you probably don't know what it's like up North where in the winter, thanks to daylight savings, the sun sets around 4pm and it's pitch black by 4:30. Oh, and it's still dark in the morning anyhow, so just keep the damn hour.

When I see people driving slow, especially in the fast lane, I see RED. :mad: If they want to make a statement, fine....but they're practically laughing when the van tries to get around them and clips that disabled car on the side of the road. Perhaps it would have been funny if the van lost control and wiped all 4 of them out?

The point is the people that are getting screwed are those who obey the law and do 55. Those who exceed the limit and get a ticket are also getting screwed. It is a no win situation.

apapada said:
.... What you saw these students do is exactly what most drivers will do in some places, while refusing to let you go by if they are already going the speed limit.

If only you guys had two little laws, it would stop this kind of thing inadvertently happening.
The laws: pull over to the left when a car comes up behind you. Period. And don’t pass on the inside (right side).
Here it is illegal to block a car. At ANY speed, even one going over the speed limit. Worse than being illegal, it is very rude and ignorant. This is more effective than the fact that it is illegal.

So if the car behind you is going over the speed limit and you are at the limit and afraid to go faster, then you must move over to let him by even if he is breaking the law by going over the speed limit.
This obviously is ignored during a traffic jam, or on single lane roads, but most of the rest of the time, people will move over while on double lane roads and freeways.
This law coupled with the law that says you must only pass another car on the left, not the right, automatically promotes traffic to move over. It’s a natural process and doesn’t require any enforcement.
No one gets pissed off and traffic moves smoothly with everybody going at a pace they are comfortable with, even way over the speed limit.

Nowhere should you “drive” (cruise, whatever) in the left lane. Period. Even on an empty freeway. If the freeway has three lanes then you don’t drive in the two left lanes.
It’s taken even further in France, for example.
If you are in the left lane then you are, by definition, “passing” somebody to your right (otherwise you damn well shouldn’t be in the left lane). And if you are passing somebody you should have your blinker on, right? Just like passing on a regular two direction road.
So their many people zip along passing people in the right lane with their left blinkers on. When there is space to move over, they turn the blinker off and move over to the right, even if there is nobody behind them.

These laws also make driving very much safer. At any speed. It is not a fixation on speed like you guys have. It’s a fixation on SAFETY. Duh.
Because if you know people will only be passing you on the left, you can take more care when pulling out the pass someone. And you have better visibility and distance calculation on your left; you can more easily look accurately in your left side mirror. Looking in the right mirror is less accurate and safe. And you know nobody is coming up on the right side, by definition you are going faster than the people on the right so how the f**k can somebody be coming up on the right? To get in the right lane, you look anyway, but it’s going to be a safer manoeuvre.

Also, traffic in countries with overwhelming traffic persecution, like the US, tend to “clump” up in groups because everybody is afraid to break out of the herd. They will stand out and the predator cop wolf bastard will get them. You have all been turned into friggin sheep. Baaah.
Clumping up is OK for sheep and wild animals but for traffic it is dangerous and you are much more prone to have a pile up, frustration, road rage and cursing. Cops cruising at the limit promote this bunching up, thus more dangerous situations.

Police here are told never to drive at the speed limit on the freeway. Because people are afraid to pass and start to clump. Duh. Not safe.
The police must drive either slower than the limit or faster. Cops don’t generally “cruise” here but if they are driving in traffic on the freeway they usually drive much slower than the limit (in the friggin right lane of course!). This means traffic can pass and get moving along smoothly because most people are driving faster than the limit. So clumping doesn’t happen.

Fast driving is safe. Exactly contrary to what cops say in traffic persecuted countries.
And here I’ve never seen a situation where a line of people is inadvertently backing up all the traffic, never. Because they move over.
Peter

710 said:
If only you guys had two little laws, it would stop this kind of thing inadvertently happening.
The laws: pull over to the left when a car comes up behind you. Period. And don’t pass on the inside (right side).

These laws already exist, but are selectively enforced, if at all. You've obvisously never driven in Switzerland where drivers there will refuse to let you pass and go by if they are already driving to the speed limit. What you mention is the "Rechtsfahren" and is used in most European countries and US states.

VampNSX said:

Drunk driving and a stupid low speed limit are two very different things. A drunk driver endangers EVERYONE no matter what the speed, and the concept of having everyone be drunk to prove a point is flawed to say the least as it would be a demolition derby. Whereas the 55 mph speed limit would not hurt ANYONE if everyone followed it. Do not get me wrong, I hate the idea of going 55 mph, and these guys did take some liberties in proving their point, but NONE OF THEM forced the others on the road to drive on the shoulder or any of the other things.

Now, do not get me wrong, if I had been on the road I would have been ready to kill these guys as well, but in looking at their larger point I understand their point.

That law just said "move right unless passing", that doesn't apply that someone was driving 62mph and Blasting everyone else driving 58 mph....
especially this guy thinking he's Dale Earnhart or something.....

710, you should come to US (maybe next nsxpo ?? ;) ) just to understand how stupid US Drivers (in general) are. You do anything that's universally right thing to do, you could ended up having some road rage here... and that doesn't have to be outlaw or tennager... like that guy who's shuttling his kids in his mini van, or that mid age woman driving a ford focus....

Flashing lights and honking (I mean honk honk, not like "hooooooooooooooooonnnk" ) is considered very offending to US drivers. Beats me, I still don't understand where it's coming from.

Back