• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So when do LMAs go bad

Falcon Heights, MN - no Falcons - no Heights
I have a 94 w/75K miles. I have heard a clicking noise when I start the car in the morning every so often,
not every time. This sound goes away for the day at least.

Could this be my LMAs?

What is the impact if they are slightly failing?
What happens when they quit?
Do I need to fix this now?

TIA - Al

Could be LMA's. As the oil heats up LMA's that are sticking could free up. Stuck LMA's sound like valves that need adjusting. How long the oem LMA's last all depends on the age of the car, oil, oil changes and so on. They all eventually give out due to age and gunk build up in the hydraulic piston section. I can almost guarantee yours are failing, but you may not know it since it happens slowly overtime. The result is a noisy valve train. The only way to hear the difference is to compare it to a motor that has the new LMA's. You should replace yours.

https://youtu.be/ce00OaC79JQ

Last edited:
Albert I have had that same noise for a long time. Noisier when it's cold. It use to bother me but seems like the norm to me now.

Thanks - Nice feedback - Nice video - I will try to hold out for a little while.
I just noticed this and it doesn't happen on every start and subsides shortly.
As I said it doesn't happen on the same day.
Seems like a good thing when the TB/WP/Valve adjust comes around.
Probably do the cam seals at the same time.

Thanks guys

A clicking 1990 Honda motor does not mean the end of the world. Some hate it. But it sounds like Oem 1990 Honda to me. If you have the cash to replace, replace. But I highly doubt, some sticking valves will cause engine failure for an overly engineered masterpiece of Japenese engineering. Even boosted, my car starts, idles, purs, and runs smoothly. Every single time. With slight valve train noise. That means vtec is working.:biggrin:

Back