• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SO... Who's REALLY Buying

The configurator has been up long enough for those who really plan to buy to build one and submit it.
I realize there are also those who will want to wait and see (though at 800/yr I'm not sure how much of a luxury/risk that is) and others who will just rest on sidelines and watch, which is fine too.
So what I'm suggesting is something for actual orders to purchase.

Can/should someone (with the right credentials/authority and know how) create a tracking table etc. layout where we can simply fill in/populate data - a few actual stats like:
When order was configured
When build was actually submitted to dealer of choice via the site... (dealer should have received it within minutes of that)
Have you gone to dealer to review/confirm your build sheet preferences (get a copy) and deal with logistics for getting order in the build mill
Did you have a pre-existing deposit to reserve a slot and if so when established
Some basics like exterior and interior color of choice, and maybe wheels.
Has dealer been able to formally submit the order yet, else when expected.
If so, any range of build timing
Oh Yeah... Cost before taxes
and for later
Projected delivery date
Actual Delivery Date
S/N perhaps, though some may not wish to share
Home Location (perhaps just the state and maybe section within like S/E etc)
And any other useful data worth sharing?

So... this was just a curiosity of mine which I though maybe is worth bringing up.
Or maybe not.
Anybody else think worth doing and if so who can/will do it?
Being a non geek rookie , I don't know what can or can't be done on this forum, nor if this warrants a formal vote else what ever it takes.
OK, I'm off my brainstorming soap box

I asked my dealer about test drives in between ordering and delivery.

He will look into it (Kind of surprising that wasn't addressed early on).

My guess is they will bring a few of the pre-production cars to tracks around the country and allow some seat time for folks who have ordered or have allocations.

But want to at least sit in it or test drive it. Any idea where/when that can be done?

I suspect it will be awhile before dealers are ordering spec cars that *might* be available to test drive. For at least the first year, all cars will be pre-sold and, therefore, unavailable to test drive.

Interesting views BUT NOT related to what I was trying to ask.
Since already off topic... I very much doubt there will be any test riding cars (other than maybe pre-production prototypes or used - much later) for along time (if at all) due to (assumed) interest #'s vs limited availability. Would you buy a car at this level and pay MSRP (or with market adjusted adder) which already had somebody else's (uncontrolled or unknown level of) test drive miles (during what should be a properly controlled and deliberate break in miles on it? Not me. (Yes I know they do a portion of break-in of the engine before installed. But tranny, suspension, steering and brakes most likely will benefit from some controlled limits... as well as the engine (My '09 GT-R had ~ 28 miles of Nissan factory test and beak in miles before shipped. But there were still "highly recommended" phases/steps of break miles for all those very components if wanting to maximize economy, performance and reliability/lifespan. The phases were to be done in a few hundred miles at clip before raising limitations, with completion at ~ 1000kmi. I gave some margin and finished at 1200 before letting loose w/o limits.
Plus, at NSX's cost level I'd want one configured exactly as I wanted it vs settle for someone else views/preferences. I certainly would not. So what dealer is going to kiss that extra sell-ability money goodbye?

So, can we get back on track with thoughts of the tracking table etc. topic I initially proposed?

Being a non geek rookie , I don't know what can or can't be done on this forum, nor if this warrants a formal vote else what ever it takes.

95% sure something like this can't be done within the context of this forum software. Your best bet would be to create some sort of shared database table using Google documents.
The other option would be to start a thread and simply update the original post as information flows in requesting people to specify:

1. When order was configured
2. When build was actually submitted to dealer of choice via the site... (dealer should have received it within minutes of that)
3. Have you gone to dealer to review/confirm your build sheet preferences (get a copy) and deal with logistics for getting order in the build mill
4. Did you have a pre-existing deposit to reserve a slot and if so when established
5. Some basics like exterior and interior color of choice, and maybe wheels.
6. Has dealer been able to formally submit the order yet, else when expected.
7. If so, any range of build timing
8. Cost before taxes
9. Projected delivery date
10. Actual Delivery Date
11. S/N perhaps, though some may not wish to share
12. Home Location (perhaps just the state and maybe section within like S/E etc)

That would become very tedious though and require a great deal of effort on your part to keep it updated. I suspect that it likely won't ever really get off the ground.

Owned 5 NSX's (from new) starting in 1994, last in 2005 & quite a few other Acura vehicles - currently have a '15 MDX SHAWD
.....good SUV for the $$. Wife loves it!

Waited patiently for the next NSX, but after false starts, in 2013 purchased a new 991 C2S.

Then in late 2015, initial 2017 NSX reviews came out w/ estimated pricing,
decided no way & purchased another P-car -11/15 - new 991 Turbo

Is the Porsche perfect for me? I'd have a hard time finding any faults other than pricing for routine service.

Did not order my car, bought it off the lot & was CPO'd on top of the original 4/50
factory warranty - total 6 years w/potential 100K mile coverage depending on how
many miles on the car after first 4 years.

Lots of friends in the community (incl NSXCA & NSXPO's), but the new NSX at it's price point, is just not worth it to me.
Built a car online & w/WA State TTL (about 10%) north of $200K! If it was in new C7 Z06/07 pricing territory things
might be different. Lots of choices in the $200K arena.

Never say never, but right now don't see a 2017 NSX in my garage.

↓↓↓↓ 1 of 7 GPW for 2005 (#150 of 249)....was an excellent car!

DSCN1623_zpsq5u9psqn.jpg~original

Last edited:
OK
I give up.
Too much work for what I had an idea for.
And then most posts are off topic.

I built mine before and once site opened, submitted it for my dealer (both times) on web site (2'nd time was while at the dealers). They then received each from corporate/web within minutes of my submittal, with a tentative build sheet along with my unique identifier.
Next step would normally be to be meet there to confirm build sheet details are as I want it... and then they formally process it in the mix.
But we're a little stalled in holding pattern on mine until he has the allocation green on allocation details and green light to place the order.
They have a few loose end details to be worked to finalize certification to order since the current facility is for sale and new mega facility is in prelim building stages. Hopefully their access to the owners certified sister dealership will suffice enough for a temp approval till teh new mega facility is completed.

Maybe someone who has an order in process by their dealer can just start a new tread ACTUAL ORDER STATS with above parameters for starters. Else I'll do once I mine is moving forward.
It can be as simple as each post from Actual ordering buyers can just make an individual post which lists the particulars above for their car. How does that sound?

It can be as simple as each post from Actual ordering buyers can just make an individual post which lists the particulars above for their car. How does that sound?

You're presuming new NSX owners are wanting to publicize their purchase, which may not be the case.

Gadgetman, what you are describing is a registry, and it has been done before. In fact, there is a registry of the previous gen NSX:

https://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Category:NSXRegistry

It is pretty easy to create a database to keep track of the NSX builds, it is just time-consuming, since someone has to maintain it. Also, I'm not sure how many owners are going to co-operate with a registry, so it will likely become very incomplete.

Personally, I created a vehicle log for my own car.

pHkfRsK.jpg

But it is pretty easy to expand that and keep track of multiple NSXs.

Very Creative & Impressive log!
I like how you have tabs for all the appropriate details worth tracking for quick checking and reference.
KUDOs to you!

I only have crude paper files in hanging folders
Wish I had the skills to do such for my NSX (plus other Cars and M/Cs.)

- - - Updated - - -

You're presuming new NSX owners are wanting to publicize their purchase, which may not be the case.

Interesting view... perhaps?
If there are those who wish to keep their purchase unknown, then why even be on this forum? I thought a major benefit of forum was for sharing of info and experiences for the benefit of all.

Thanks. I'm hoping it works. I tried entering some test data, and it seems to work ok, but I am far from a database professional. I know just enough to be dangerous. You can always use MS Excel as a good way of tracking information. One major limitation with my database is that it can't calculate MPG easily. But then again, I really don't care about the fuel economy of the car.

If there are those who wish to keep their purchase unknown, then why even be on this forum? I thought a major benefit of forum was for sharing of info and experiences for the benefit of all.

You are right about the benefits of forums for sharing info and experiences however I think you're missing my point.
Some new NSX owners may not wish to publicly share the price they paid nor other details.
Other's may.
This has nothing to do with belonging to an enthusiasts forum but a matter of personal choice.

However I'd expect when you buy your new NSX you'll share all the details with us.

You are absolutely right! I do get and understand that as I have a few friends that way.
Perhaps I should have put more time in thought process and been better at the wording of what might be useful vs possibly viewed as personal snooping.
The things I was more intent on suggesting we share is timing form build to delivery, and some of the cars personalizing details chosen.
costs and location etc. are nice for comparisons, but not as important or necessary.
I apologize for coming across as over reaching.

and yes I'll share mine
So Far
I built mine on Tues with link on our site, and then again on Thurs when the configuration went officially open.
Interestingly, my dealer did receive both submitting within minutes (each time) of my sending via the website
Source Silver, Saddle w/pwr, Interwove in polished form, Red calipers (but rethinking about silver I can change before order gets submitted by dealer), CF engine covers, Upgraded audio but w/o XM , Illuminated Sills, Net, mats (yikes on price), and cover.
Just shy of 182K in the end (in case I forgot something above) and due to my deposit to be their #1 order (back in June '13) all still at MSRP (per the deposit agreement documents).

Unfortunately, my dealer is in final stages of certification process so expects no green light to submit mine into the mill any sooner than for 2'nd build batch.
Their sister dealership has completed certification (and could be a plan B if timing becomes an issue)
Since it is early March here in N/E, good weather and roads are still a few months away. So I can remain patient, though it is getting a little more difficult.
I stopped there today and was told they should know more in a few weeks.
The 1'st build batch will be a learning curve for dealers as well as corporate ACURA.

Wonder if there will be any 3rd party source for mats. Can't fathom how many people are actually going to pay 1200 for floor mats. It's not just the price. It kind of defeats the whole purpose of floor mats. Now you would need floor mats to protect the floor mats. Or leave it out of the car except for special occasions, much like your family's fine china.

Olyar, I speced my car without mats.

By the time my car gets built, I am counting on WeatherTech to have mats.

If not, I will take the car to Bolingbrook to let them take measurements.

I broke down and included the overpriced mats in my build, just as I did for my '09 GT-R (though those were still a lot less than the NSX).
I want them for times at shows etc. so the car is more complete and original, and more specifically for having pristine OEM originals in distant future.
However, initially if/when in use I'll probably have good quality clear ones right over the OEM's. I then plan to use the OEM's as templates and make my own from bulk carpet (just I've done for some of my other toys). I bought the tools and parts to make holes and install brass rings for the hold downs. The ones I've made just lack binding on edges which is fine. I think I have enough material left over after I made my GT-R's charcoal Gray mats... a I think it wold go well.

As a kid I remember the living room of the old lady down the street (when I was collecting for my newspaper route) who had white carpet,
white sofa, white lampshades all covered with clear plastic......even then I thought WTF?

I am really waiting...

Count me as another who is hoping that Weathertech will have floor mats or liners for the NSX. BTW, did they make one for the first gen?

As a kid I remember the living room of the old lady down the street (when I was collecting for my newspaper route) who had white carpet,
white sofa, white lampshades all covered with clear plastic......even then I thought WTF?

Yeah I grew up with some friend who had PARLORS covered in plastic in LR you never really sat in. So I get your point.

Now for a little more clarification of my point.
Using good quality clear mats (at times when soiling might be an issue) is a better look than off colored Weather tech (IMHO).
They enable the Pricey OEMs to still how through... with their logos etc.
Plus you can drive the car to an event keeping OEMS clean and simply lift off and out (or empty debris) to keep the insides show clean.

Back