• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So why is 290hp not enough nowadays ?

Was a DBW car you drove or perhaps an NA2?

FWIW, even in stock form that car has a very heavy flywheel/clutch assembly (or slow DBW, i'm not really sure). It takes forever to rev match downshift. Throw a blower on top of it and i'm sure it's even worse. I don't really get that feeling in my CTSC 91 with 11lb flywheel (stock is 16lbs)

That's one thing I dislike about my 2005. It doesn't respond to a throttle blip like my S2000. Its slow and kind of hangs. Perhaps a lighter flywheel would be an improvement. Can anyone confirm if this is the issue or is it the DBW? I would hate to add a Supercharger and make it worse. My S2000 is supercharged DBW and I didn't notice a difference in throttle response. Makes me think it could be the flywheel.

its really moreso the moment of inertia. the 6spd single disc does hang and its slow. I'm only 90% sure its the flywheel ;)

the stock 5spd twin disc has more of its mass centered around the center shaft.

- - - Updated - - -

the na2 was supposed to be more "refined" so it would make sense why they may have a heavier FW in there

i don't think the dbw slows down throttle response because my 95 na1 has dbw (it was the first year)and throttle response is excellent.i have an oem twin disc clutch.

Last edited:
I drove my good friend's 400whP Evo 8 this wknd. It's fun as hell but it reminded me why I would never want a turbo on my NSX. There's no way I can control that beast!

So what did you think of driving my 550 whp NSX? You did just fine cranking away on it. Seemed pretty controlled and balanced to me! :smile:

So what did you think of driving my 550 whp NSX? You did just fine cranking away on it. Seemed pretty controlled and balanced to me! :smile:
I ate my Wheaties that morning! I never drive my friend's cars like I drive my own though. If I drove your car like I do mine, I might be dead!

That said... B.. your car is awesome. You don't bring it out nearly enough at all.

That's one thing I dislike about my 2005. It doesn't respond to a throttle blip like my S2000. Its slow and kind of hangs. Perhaps a lighter flywheel would be an improvement. Can anyone confirm if this is the issue or is it the DBW? I would hate to add a Supercharger and make it worse. My S2000 is supercharged DBW and I didn't notice a difference in throttle response. Makes me think it could be the flywheel.

NSX comes with a lightened flywheel although you could always shave a few more mil off. I had a lightened flywheel in my turbo Integra before I added the turbo and the difference it made was fairly significant.
I think it's more of a gearing issue and also a weight issue in the NSX. Especially the later year models they can benefit from going on a diet. Before adding power ditch the weight because lighter is better.
I tried to read all four pages of comments on here about 290 hp being enough. I believe it is. The car is NOT as nimble as my ITR nor will it ever be unless I stripped it down to the bare chassis on an epic quest to reach 2500 lbs.
Right now my car weighs about 2800 lbs or so. (Haven't weighed it, just looking at all the stuff I've pulled out and changed.) Losing the weight definitely makes the car handle better. The NSX R sway bars and all that made a huge difference also but the main difference believe it or not came when I pulled out the spare. I think it's because of where all that weight sat.
The NSX can be misleading. The speed really comes on in third gear and if you redline third gear you're way breaking the law on roads/highways which everyone has done.
If you question whether or not 290 hp is enough take your car out and ram it through to redline from 1st to fourth. You will let off and your heart will be pumping. So what if you arent 1 second faster in the quarter mile?
The driving experience in a car that is set up correctly more then compensates.

I ate my Wheaties that morning! I never drive my friend's cars like I drive my own though. If I drove your car like I do mine, I might be dead!

That said... B.. your car is awesome. You don't bring it out nearly enough at all.

B. that is not what Reagan told me in private. He said your car needs another 50kW!

"wow...nsx...nice ride! But let me ask you...is it fast? or does it just look fast?"

I hear that a lot.

My response?

"Nsx was made for the track"

nuff said. lol

The engine is probably the most lacking out of all the x attributes coming from a sports car that looks this exotic.

I take my friends for a ride...all they anticipate is the thrill of acceleration. But they get disappointed after a full throttle through a straight line.

Then they get into my RS4. Immediately, they feel the thrill...saying words like 'epic'.

Hate to say this as a NSX owner but....bottom line: Its not as near as fast as it looks.

BUT it will never take away my love for her. Parked or on a highway, she has presence like no other. She's a timeless masterpiece.

"wow...nsx...nice ride! But let me ask you...is it fast? or does it just look fast?"

I hear that a lot.

My response?

"Nsx was made for the track"

nuff said. lol

The engine is probably the most lacking out of all the x attributes coming from a sports car that looks this exotic.

I take my friends for a ride...all they anticipate is the thrill of acceleration. But they get disappointed after a full throttle through a straight line.

Then they get into my RS4. Immediately, they feel the thrill...saying words like 'epic'.

Hate to say this as a NSX owner but....bottom line: Its not as near as fast as it looks.

BUT it will never take away my love for her. Parked or on a highway, she has presence like no other. She's a timeless masterpiece.

Ray's 57xtreme 18/19 are boat anchors. Put some light wheels on and then report back?

My 91 doesn't disappoint, it makes people reach for the "oh shit" handle that isn't there and it is NA. Maybe short gears with a 4.55 final cause that though, I don't know.

I've got a set of "heavy wheels" along with very light ones....and with my NA car the heavy wheels change the driving dynamics for the worse...and to my hands and butt are very noticeable...the advice is valid. I call my heavy wheels boat anchors as well,but they look awesome.

back to the original question, I still wish Honda would have made a 4.0 litre V8 with 400 horsepower for the 2002 NSX. I think that would have been the perfect streetcar...

That's one thing I dislike about my 2005. It doesn't respond to a throttle blip like my S2000. Its slow and kind of hangs. Perhaps a lighter flywheel would be an improvement. Can anyone confirm if this is the issue or is it the DBW? I would hate to add a Supercharger and make it worse. Makes me think it could be the flywheel.

The NA2 NSX DEFINATELY suffers from a heavy clutch & flywheel assembly.
The difference in weight alone between the dual-disc NA1 and single-disc is about 10 lbs and that's not even counting the fact that the NA1 clutch has the weight more centered.
It is the No.1 reason the throttle response is so much slower on a NA2 NSX. The difference between my previous NA1 and my current NA2 is immediately noticable.
I don't think the DBW has much to do with it. After all, the way the DBW responds is just a matter of programming. The 2002 NSX-R has DBW, but it also went back to the dual-disc (lighter) clutch.

Whenever I will need to change my clutch, I will definately switch to the SOS Sports clutch, save about 20 Lbs in an important place AND get a much better response at the same time.

These threads are always fun, but this question is really so subjective. It depends largely on what you want to do with the car. When I bought my NSX in 2008, I was looking at 3 cars: 360, C5 Z06, and NSX. I had a line on a nice black 360 with tan interior. It drove and SOUNDED amazing. But, when I started looking at maintenance and parts costs, it sort of dulled my excitement. Also, the car just felt old/dated- especially the interior. For that much money, I wanted everything I desired and the F car just didn't deliver it. That car had 400 hp.

I then looked at a black Z06 (sensing a theme here? :)) It had 405 hp. While about the same as the 360, holy crap did this car pull. Kind of the suck your skin off your face pull. It was a brute- the gearbox slammed into gear like a machine gun bolt. The whole car shuddered and rumbled when you hit it hard. A real rocket sled. I could see why Corvette Racing cleans up at Le Mans. But, man that interior felt cheap. It looked like a Chevy Cobalt. Also, I was somewhat bemused and embarrassed maybe that it was 2008 and I was looking to spend some real cash on a ...pushrod V8? And, I couldn't shake the image of a bald, middle-aged guy with hair plugs and spray tan every time I thought about the car.

So then, that left the NSX, with "only" 270 hp. I had been a Honda nut ever since high school. I played Gran Turismo religiously in college. The NSX mystique was real to me. It was sort of this unobtainable ideal that a teenager in the 90's asipred to- at least I did. This amazing, rare car that real drivers and people in the know owned. So, I drove one. And I was sold. Ted Klaus mentioned recently that the whole point of the NSX is not big numbers or bench racing- it is driving dynamics and accessible performance. For the money I paid, I knew I could improve my NSX to the point where it was perfect for me. After I drove one, the Ferrari and Vette seemed ridiculous to me. So, I bought a 1991 Berlina Black with a full maintenence history, and I paid a fraction of the other cars' prices. At sea level with headers, my NSX was perfect for me. Here at altitude, I could use 20-40 more hp. I will not supercharge the car, given my recent head gasket ordeal. No, it is OEM for me. I am holding out hope for Loc to find that 20-40 hp NA. :D

Last edited:
"So why is 290 HP not enough nowadays".
But i get their point: In order to make an under powered exotic like an NSX reach its fullest potential, one needs to fully utilize the weight/power ratio...i mean fully...it requires lightest wheels known to science? Please.

ANYTIME and Docjohn....stop living in the past and face the reality....290 is just not enuff HP for an exotic like the NSX. Sure you can tweak it some to get more out of it but wouldn't that be missing the point?

Sad I'm forced to point out the basics to 'veterans'.

Thx to you ssangkal, I now realized I should've bought a Hemi Dart as i like to go straight as well and feel my neck snap. 290 hp is just pathetic, 500hp, 500 ft/lb is what we need. forget tweaking, forget Comptech SC, having a push rod V8 is the way to go. No wonder I can't get any speeding ticket with my NSX. Time to sell!!

Agreed.

Even if the NSX had a proper power band and matching TQ to HP where you have 290HP right in the early part of the RPM range then it would be totally acceptable for me..

Purpose of my SOS SC is to give me that. Of course the additional HP (almost doubling it) was an added bonus.

I offset my 18/19 boat anchors by filling the tires with helium. Really did make a difference and it pulls like He ll.

Jesus said..... forgive him for he does not know what he is doing.
He bought the wrong car for going straight.....out of his kind heart, he wants to educate us......had he bought a 69 Hemi Dart, or a LSx Camaro like Batman suggests, or better yet, a C7 where no HP is enough, he would not call anybody a douche. I agree, 290hp is so yesterday:biggrin: He should sell it.

I offset my 18/19 boat anchors by filling the tires with helium. Really did make a difference and it pulls like He ll.

Pissshhhh! Helium? Be a real man like me and fill your tires with Hydrogen! It's one atomic weight lighter than Helium so if you really want to feel the powwah, Hydrogen is the only way to go. And the hair-trigger like ability to spontaneously explode upon impact will only make you a better driver!! :smile:

Back