• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Solar Energy in NJ

Hello all we need some sunshine to brighten up our mood.

Is anyone able to share some experience or advice on solar energy; specifically in NJ?

I don’t know specifics of NJ, but know a little bit about solar here in CA.
There is a huge markup due to the tax credit, which is now 26%.
I don’t know if you are up for a diy project, but a good starting point for size and basic cost is wholesalesolar.com.

Thanks for the link. Even though this won't be a DIY project, the wholesalesolar website provides a general idea on the parts cost. I have quotes between $30k to $42k, translates to $15 to $22k for permits and labor for a 2 to 3 day job.

Yes. Our neighbors got a system installed recently. It was done in 1 day, 3 or 4 people. If they are skilled labor, that should cost $4,000. Of course the solar companies pad their cost by at least the tax credit. I believe the tax credit lowers next year and then goes away after that. It will kill the industry.

I have solicited bids from 5 or 6 companies and they all come in fairly close to each other, on a cost per kilowatt, regardless of which brand of panels they use.

From what I’ve been able to learn, Sun Power panels are the best, most power per sq in, least degredation over 25 years etc. They only sell to installers, and cost more than double of the cheapest panels, but somehow the installed costs are about the same!

Back