• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Son starting detailing business advice

my son who is 14 wanted to make some money so I am helping him start a small neighborhood detailing business where he will go around the neighborhood and detail people's car at the house. I know something about detailing as I have pretty much always done my own car. I already have Zaino and I bought him some zymol along with a good carnuba wax, a good wash liquid, wheel dressing, clay, window cleaner, power ball for the wheels, diapers for taking off the wax, leather cleaner, carpet shampoo and we have a steam cleaner for bad mats. Any advice for what else would be good to get. Suggestions on good carpet shampoo's (we got what the auto store was selling. What about pricing, any suggestions. He's doing his first car this afternoon (I will help him do a couple before I turn him loose) our next door neighbor is paying him $90 to wash, vacuum, clay, wax (using zaino) shampoo the carpets and steam clean the mats and clean the leather (it's a Mercedes). It's his wifes car and it's for her birthday. We did do my car together last weekend to give him a chance to learn. I just looking for advice that I can pass on to him.

Thanks,

:confused:

That's a great story. I started a business just like that in 1988. It went from cleaning cars in driveways to opening up a retail store with 20 employees. I sold the business in 1998 and it still exists today!

Best of Luck to you and your son!!

If it takes off you may want to buy bulk size stuff here:
http://www.moreshine.com/

Not affiliated, just a happy user of their stuff. Good luck.

That's great to hear! I actually started mowing cars when I was 12 and did pretty good at that until I left for college. Sold my "houses" to another kid for some college dough. My wife won't let him mow yards and most of our neighbors either do their own (like me) or have a professional yard service. I thought this would be something he could do safely and make enough to take his girlfriend out with and put some away. I figure he washes about 6 cars a week (we have a small neighborhood with only 40 houses) and does one wax full detail a week it will give enough for someone his age.

Any thoughts on prices for cars, SUV's and such would be helpful. The local drive through and then wipe down places charge the same price for cars and SUV's (about $18) but for him he would need a differential since he does it all my hand.

David:

I think it's great that your son is being proactive and starting his business. Since he is only 14, he probably won't have a lot of creditability. I would recommend he start a portfolio of cars he has done with the proverbial before and after photos.

Photos of the NSX and Mercedes, and any other high end cars will also help instill some trust in potential customers, as well as justify a higher price. A higher price could also be justified due to the convenience of having the car detailed at home rather than dropping it off someplace and wondering what is really being done to it. And, because he's 14, the vehicle owner could "keep an eye" on him.

Congratulations and Good luck to the both of you.

druby said:
That's great to hear! I actually started mowing cars when I was 12 and did pretty good at that until I left for college. Sold my "houses" to another kid for some college dough. My wife won't let him mow yards and most of our neighbors either do their own (like me) or have a professional yard service. I thought this would be something he could do safely and make enough to take his girlfriend out with and put some away. I figure he washes about 6 cars a week (we have a small neighborhood with only 40 houses) and does one wax full detail a week it will give enough for someone his age.

Any thoughts on prices for cars, SUV's and such would be helpful. The local drive through and then wipe down places charge the same price for cars and SUV's (about $18) but for him he would need a differential since he does it all my hand.
David, I don't think that you actually "mowed" any cars, at least I hope not!!!:eek:

RPM217 said:
David, I don't think that you actually "mowed" any cars, at least I hope not!!!:eek:
You are so right. Obviously I mowed yards, sorry my brain isn't on yet. As to the other ideas, he did think of doing a before and after pictures of the Mercedes. Especially this one as the interior looks bad right now and the exterior is extrememly dirty so it should be a great comparison. Unfortunately we didn't take pictures of my car before and it wasn't that bad before anyway.:redface:

He may want to consider a wash only service where he will wash, dry and maybe QD the car. He could charge $15 a shot and get the neighbors on a weekly program. If he does a good job washing the cars, people will start asking for more. Get him set up with Quickbooks so he can create a professional invoice and manage his cash flow. There is more to his lesson than detailing a car.

chumch said:
How about an electric leaf blower to speed the drying process. It will be quicker, use less towels, and reduce the possibility of adding swirls or scratches.

I tried that, it doesn't work well at all IMO.

Wow guys great advice. I do have him using a leaf blower for drying. I've been doing that for about 2 years now after I learned about either on prime or at a concours I was involved with. My leaf blower is electric so no getting high for him. It has worked well and any excess water it doesn't get can easily be wiped off with a clean towel. He is offering a basic wash for $15 for cars and $25 for SUV's. A basic wash gets them a wash, vacuum, wheel dressing and windows cleaned. He will do it in their drive way since he is primarily trying to do this in our small neighborhood (about 40 houses). I haven't set him up on any money management programs yet but that is an excellent idea.

Thanks for all the thoughts so far. All input is well come. He's only been at this just under 2 weeks and he's about to do his second full detail for a couple on both of their cars. Should be a good $$ weekend for him this weekend.:biggrin:

Dtrigg said:
David:

I think it's great that your son is being proactive and starting his business. Since he is only 14, he probably won't have a lot of creditability. I would recommend he start a portfolio of cars he has done with the proverbial before and after photos.

Photos of the NSX and Mercedes, and any other high end cars will also help instill some trust in potential customers, as well as justify a higher price. A higher price could also be justified due to the convenience of having the car detailed at home rather than dropping it off someplace and wondering what is really being done to it. And, because he's 14, the vehicle owner could "keep an eye" on him.

Photos are definitely a good idea. I'd recommend going with him on his sales pitch, to add additional cred.

A good portfolio of car wash customers could easily turn into a portfolio of lawn customers too...

Really cool - I got my business start around the same age. He'll learn so much, especially if you emphasize "professional business" rather than just making some $$. :smile:

Dtrigg said:
David:

I would recommend the portfolio as well. Through high school and college I detailed cars for fun and extra money, and I took in depth 'before and after' pictures of each and every car I did. Before long I was detailing and getting to drive BMW's, Mercedes, Porsches, Ferraris, and Lamborghinis, all because of word of mouth and reputation for high quality work. When you show someone with a Diablo that you have customers with other exotics they are a lot more willing to give you their car to take care of.

Also, be sure to let your son know that there is a big difference between just waxing a car and slapping Armor All on it and detailing. It sounds like you already have since you have him using lots of quality products, but I know that when I did this for my customers they wanted a 'clean' look....not to be blinded by the glare of their dash board shine in the window. :biggrin: :cool:

Good luck!! You are doing the right thing by teaching him this business lesson early.

I could get into a my product is better than your product battle but here is my advice:

- 303 Aerospace Protectant for in interior vinyl non contact surfaces (read don't use on steering wheel, pedals, e-brake, seats).
- 303 Aerospace Carpet and Upholstry cleaner - Best cleaning I could find. Tell him NSXCA sent you and the owner may give you a discount if you buy in bulk and direct. They sponsored the 2003 Expo @ Sonoma and hopefully the call will at least reinforce that their contribution was not in vain :cool:
This stuff kicks butt, works great, and does not have a fruty fragrance. If your son was detailing my car, I would not like it if I got in and started sneezing because the stuff he cleaned my interior with has a strong scent.

Diapers for the wax.... my recomendation would be to go to Costco/Sams Club and get the 12 pack of microfiber cloths. Picks up wax and holds more than regular cloths (even diapers) and does not load up as fast. Cheap at $8 for (12) 16"x16" cloths

For wax I would really recommend machine application.... perhaps once he has more experience. It goes on WAY faster, MUCH smoother, thinner (you want the thinnest possible coat of wax to go on the car since only a microscopic amount of what you put on actually sticks to the paint), and the most even. Once he gets the hang of it, you can apply and remove wax from the large surfaces of compact cars (accords, Camry's, Lexus IS's, VW Jettas etc) in about 15-20 minutes. The smaller parts can be done by hand and go quickly since your amrs are not dieing from having to do all the rubbing. The thinner you put on the car the less you waste, the less you have to take off, the faster everything goes, and the less chance you have of cramming a bunch of wax into the seams between body panels. For wax application, thinner, smoother, more even is KING.

If you want to look and *BE* really Pro, go to Home Depot and get a contractor's pack of 3-M Painters's tape in the 3/4" width. Have you son tape off the seams of the car and any tricky edges. I never do it, but it does 4 really key things. 1)Basically guarentees you won't burn a corner no matter how fast the machine is going or how hard you press. 2)Since you have #1, you can move faster because you don't have to worry about burning the edges/corners 3) Tells your customers who like to watch that you are meticulous and pay attention to details. 4) If you don't use the wax I recommend, it may save you from making black trim white from the wax/polish.

For the wax type I REALLY LIKE 3M Perfect-It Paste wax for a lot of reasons:
Reasonable Price - $13 a can for paste
Goes on REALLY easy
Comes off REALLY EASY
Does not turn black trim white!!!! Really, really nice!
LEAVES NO WHITE FLAKES. When you rub this stuff off, you get zero wax dust. Major Plus
Forgiving when applied in the sun. For a starup, you are not going to invest in a tent and so you can't control how much sun your car is going to get when it is being worked on. This stuff is best if applied in the shade, but if you can't do that, you can work in small sections and apply in direct sun. When applied with a machine in 100 deg weather (Sac) I can apply to a entire panel, put down my machine and go right back over and remove. Literally 2-3 minutes per panel.
Down sides are the paste tends to load up in the pad. I think they have a liquid form but have not tried it because I like the paste so much.

I really enjoy detailing cars and have detailed many others for fun. I would like to think of myself as knowledgeable. I have tried and dumped a LOT of products. Other have responded with great advice, I hope that mine makes the list of the more helpful ones.

Good luck, LMK if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, we are looking at what he can do to improve. So far he has done enough cars to make some profit and everyone has been very pleased. Of course he has had unpaid labor (in me) helping him and making sure he does it right, but it is a good bonding experience and I've lost 5 pounds. Unfortunately almost all the cars we have had so far have been in really bad shape. I mean paint that has glazed over, wine stains in carpet etc. The good part is so far we have been able to get all stains out and even did a good job getting the glaze from the roof of the last car. It took clay and rubbing compound and a final coat of zymol but the girl was thrilled with how it looked when she got it back. (She had never washed it in the 7 years she had the car and by her own words it wasn't it great shape when she got it.

He's doing a truck saturday morning and he has a guy that will pay him $100 to hand wax an RV. The RV is 32 feet long by 10 feet high and it what is called a fifth wheel.

druby said:
Thanks for the input, we are looking at what he can do to improve. So far he has done enough cars to make some profit and everyone has been very pleased. Of course he has had unpaid labor (in me) helping him and making sure he does it right, but it is a good bonding experience and I've lost 5 pounds. Unfortunately almost all the cars we have had so far have been in really bad shape. I mean paint that has glazed over, wine stains in carpet etc. The good part is so far we have been able to get all stains out and even did a good job getting the glaze from the roof of the last car. It took clay and rubbing compound and a final coat of zymol but the girl was thrilled with how it looked when she got it back. (She had never washed it in the 7 years she had the car and by her own words it wasn't it great shape when she got it.

He's doing a truck saturday morning and he has a guy that will pay him $100 to hand wax an RV. The RV is 32 feet long by 10 feet high and it what is called a fifth wheel.

Nice job, and great job dad for instilling a work ethic in your son. Sounds like you guys are doing just fine on your own.

As for the RV,... $100 for a 32 foot long trailer is a freak'n TON of work. I would not even look at the thing unless I had a machine. If you are interested Properautocare.com (where I get nearly all of my supplies) is having a sale for its newsletter recipients. 10% off entire order until April 30th. The coupon code is "springsale".

People put too much emphasis on a "hand wax". Honestly, machines do it better in nearly all cases. Zymol NSX wax is supposed to be applied by hand,.... litterally. They instruct you to melt the wax in your hand and apply w/ your middle three fingers. It is supposed to help you fell any contaminants in your paint (or something like that). Honestly it just ends up drying out the skin on my hands and giving me nasty skin:frown:. But back to the topic at hand,... (pun intended) hand waxing (with an applicator of some sort) may sound really great to potential clients, but the end result of a machine applied finish is going to be vastly superior in nearly all cases than a wax applied by hand. If clients insist on this, I would recommend one of these:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1005&SKU=11212
Makes a HUGE difference over the long run in that you don't have to GRIP the pad, and the large surface area means you can cover a larger area than most standard wax applicators.

Hope you take my advice w/ a grain of salt.... it really sounds like you guys are doing a spectacular job,... congradulate your son for me,... Best of luck.

Actually I do have a orbital buffer that we use at times. It is not a high speed one since I would be scared to death he would grind someone's paint off since he is only 14 and just not careful enough. This buffer works pretty good and there is no way it will grind of anyone's paint at the speed it goes. We use it some to take off but not to put on wax.:biggrin:

druby said:
since he is only 14 and just not careful enough.

I think that about says it all,... fully understand why you don't want to use a machine.

Once again, kudos to you and your son for rolling up your sleeves

I think the pics of the car are great idea for portfolio and his protection. Take a pick before you start of all sides and after pic from same angles. I can see some moron claiming your son put a big scratch or dent in the car. Then all his efforts (and yours) will be spent in court or for a repair to damage that he didn't do.
Unfortunately, we live in a society that is too litigious.

rs250 said:
I think the pics of the car are great idea for portfolio and his protection. Take a pick before you start of all sides and after pic from same angles. I can see some moron claiming your son put a big scratch or dent in the car. Then all his efforts (and yours) will be spent in court or for a repair to damage that he didn't do.
Unfortunately, we live in a society that is too litigious.

Good idea., thanks:biggrin:

Back