• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SOS Headers

I would highly recommend the SOS headers. The fitment and quality of the headers is great, sound is SWEET (definitely a bit louder) and performance was certainly improved. Chris has a before and after dyno from our car somewhere that you could ask him for. They are one of the two headers I know of that are designed with equal length tubing. Plus they have a nifty badge too as seen here.

Hey thanks. I am wondering if my car would pass the California emissions testing even though the SOS headers are not CARB certified. Any experience on that one?

I couldn't tell you on that one since we live in AZ. I can say that on our recent emissions test the car passed absurdly easily, but it isn't the same standards of testing that CA residents must endure. I've never specifically asked Chris on this point, but perhaps he knows of a CA resident with experience. Give him a call and he might be able to help you out further.

Will do.

How about the sound? I am installing Taitec GTLW and am thinking of doing the headers at the same time. How are your SOS units holding up?

The headers have held up tremendously. I was just looking at them about a month ago when I reinstalled the straight pipes (after putting the cats in for an emissions test :tongue:) and they look perfect still.

Sound is always difficult to describe, but we had the Taitec JGTC Center Exit w/straight pipes before we put the headers on and it sounded good up on the high rpm's but kind of crappy in the lower range. After installing the headers it changed the sound for the better throughout the range, but particularly down low it sounds more raw, but not disrupted as before. You can almost hear it breathing better. :biggrin: The volume level increased as well, certainly louder but with the straight pipes it was already pretty dang loud. I don't think you'd be disappointed with them in any way, just so long as you can figure the CA CARB certified issues out. We've been nothing but happy with the headers.

BTW, Chris had the exact setup on the Zanardi....SOS Headers and GT Lightweight and that did sound pretty sweet. I've heard it from outside the car and while driving it during NSXPO '05....very nice!

Also...the S.O.S. headers make some pretty nice claims about 20hp from the headers with a performance exhaust, but the Taitec headers and exhaust make 22.6hp. So....which header actually makes more since the site does not list which exhaust the S.O.S. headers made the 20hp with? The way I read it there is more power from the Taitec headers and Taitec exhaust.....I am confused. :confused: :frown:

Veleno said:
Good question Mitch, I'd like to know also as I'm in the market for some headers.

Cool...I am not alone in this quest. So...anyone want to help us figure out which headers actual make more power, and how much more, in an 'everything else being equal' comparisson? :redface:

requisites...

Unless carb-legal CA is a consideration for you, the SOS headers are the best of the best. They incorporate all the positive traits (equal length tubes, max. diameter tubing, etc'...) and exclude the negative traits (problematic flex-joints, no splice/dice w/ wires & 02 sensor, etc'...).

For me, it'll be either the B&B or SOS headers/exhaust-manifolds. What's a bugger is that I plan to move to CA in the future at some point... :redface:

Re: requisites...

Osiris_x11 said:
Unless carb-legal CA is a consideration for you, the SOS headers are the best of the best. They incorporate all the positive traits (equal length tubes, max. diameter tubing, etc'...) and exclude the negative traits (problematic flex-joints, no splice/dice w/ wires & 02 sensor, etc'...).

For me, it'll be either the B&B or SOS headers/exhaust-manifolds. What's a bugger is that I plan to move to CA in the future at some point... :redface:

I am considering the S.O.S., but first I would like to know if anyone out there knows what the S.O.S. header actually puts out by itself in terms of power gains. It is still unclear to me which one of the Taitec or S.O.S. delivers the best performance.

Comptech headers are probably the best expecially for California application. Total performance and quality; they cannot be beat.

rk-nsx said:
check out the dyno in my gallery sos headers/jgtc exhaust. as much as ~25 rwhp gain.

RK what is that dyno chart showing exactly? is that stock versus just SOS and Taitec on your 02?

I installed the Taitec GTLW and then had the SOS headers installed. From what I remember, the sound was louder and had more volume. Not too much louder but it sounded fuller more like an 8 cylinder then a 6. Power was a more noticeable but not a lot..you can tell the tach revs faster but that is about all. Nothing tremendous enough to justify the cost, if your going to stop modding there. It was nice..but after that, get the CTSC with the Autoroter and buzz by some underpasses or tunnels..the combination of the Taitec/SOS/CTSC sounds almost F1ish...it is hard to describe but sounds like a race car under those things..I'll have to video a clip and post it.

btw..with my Taitec GTLW, Cantrell intake and SOS headers...I dynoed 268 at the wheels and about 210 lb of torque.

Understudy said:
... They are one of the two headers I know of that are designed with equal length tubing....here.

I know they claim that they are equal but I don't see how cyl#1 and cyl#2 have the same length pipe. They are practically on top of each other from the collector all the way up to where cyl#1 goes the extra length between cylinders.

If anyone can explain how they are equal, please do.

BTW, I got everything back together today (SOS headers and GTLW muffler).
I like it alot. The sould is loud when your on it and not bad at all when at steady state. I already had a cop yell at me to slow down even though I wasn't speeding. :)

T.J.

rk-nsx said:
yes, exactly.

Thats a nice gain, probably mostly from the taitec however... If you look at the stock header on your car its pretty nice factory.

Back