• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SOS Steering Rack Bushings

I remember a while back SOS has an initial group buy on these and they went like hot cakes. However, I have seen little to no feedback regarding the functionality of these parts. Personally, I have yet to be disappointed by any products from SOS and $60 is cheap for anything(NSX) but I would like to know if these are worth it or just another one of those mods that you never really "feel". Any and all input appreciated.

ashman said:
I remember a while back SOS has an initial group buy on these and they went like hot cakes. However, I have seen little to no feedback regarding the functionality of these parts. Personally, I have yet to be disappointed by any products from SOS and $60 is cheap for anything(NSX) but I would like to know if these are worth it or just another one of those mods that you never really "feel". Any and all input appreciated.

There is a product review in the upcoming article of NSX Driver if your an NSXCA member. :wink:

If your steering rack bushings have shrunk and deteriorated with age, you can replace them with OEM bushings. The bushings for a power steering rack are the same as for a manual steering rack - I tried it. The part numbers are 53436-SL0-A01 (1x) and 53685-SL0-A00 (4x).

When the SoS steering rack bushings came out I decided to replace mine. The "shrinking & deteriorating with age" text on the SoS website made me suspect mine might be shot since my car is a '91 with about 130,000 miles. When I removed the original bushings I saw they were still fine - elastic, without cracks, and the steering rack didn't have play so I assume they hadn't shrunk. However, I had already bought new OEM bushings so in they went. Now that they're in, I don't think the steering feels any different than before. Oh well, it wasn't much money.

I guess the advantage of the SoS bushings is that they're 22% firmer than OEM and the disadvantage is that they "do not create audible noises that can be heard in the cabin" whereas the OEM rubber bushings don't create any noises period.

Thanks for the input. Correct me if I am wrong but is there another set of bushings for the manual rack that are not replaceable? Or are these the same worn bushings people refer to when they report a rattle or "play" in the steering rack?

I’m confused with all of this?

Have people reported noise?

Anyone actually have the SOS bushings and can comment?

I just ordered a set for my 92.

I have these on my car....I did not notice any difference....... but I think if you are a track guy and push you car to the edge, then maybe you will see a slight difference if your bushings were worn out. Other wise its just another nice bling part to put on your car in my opinion and I am sure it helps as stated. I do not hear any noise by the way either......just make sure you get an alignment done after the install. :smile:

I am glad I did it though since my car is a 91....new parts are always good for an old car.

I have the bushing on my car. I can tell the difference right the way after the installation, my car is a 93 and had 89k miles on it.
I can feel the steering feed back is more solid. specially at long sweeper on ramp. My cousin (NsxDreamer2) said he can't really feel the difference after the initial test drive. However, He did track his car at a lapping day few weeks later, and he said the bushing helped alot.

I've got the bushings but have yet to install because I'm scared of messing up my alignment.

Like I have said if your bushings were worn out then you will probably feel the difference more. My car felt solid prior to the bushings, I basically changed them just to change them.

And yes it will mess up your alignment so you need to get the car aligned after.

ashman said:
Thanks for the input. Correct me if I am wrong but is there another set of bushings for the manual rack that are not replaceable? Or are these the same worn bushings people refer to when they report a rattle or "play" in the steering rack?

If your rack rod has play in the rack housing than you are pretty much screwed as there are no bushings in the housing that can be replaced.

The SOS bushings are for where the rack mounts to the body of the car.

when I first heard about SOS offering bushings I was hoping they were for the housing internals but no such luck:frown:

I have 3 sets of SOS bushings ready to go on my car and 2 others Just haven't found time to put them on yet.

ediddynsx said:
And yes it will mess up your alignment so you need to get the car aligned after.

If the alignment of the rack relative to the car is marked before removal, alignment will not be required. We updated our instructions to note this to make installation as easy as possible - I hope it helps.

take care,
-- Chris

My are still sitting in the plastic bag they came in. Its only be about 6 months. About twice a year I install, I let them collect in my office and throw them all in at once.

Chris@SoS said:
If the alignment of the rack relative to the car is marked before removal, alignment will not be required. We updated our instructions to note this to make installation as easy as possible - I hope it helps.

take care,
-- Chris

Chris - can you post a link to the new installation instructions? Thank you!

Nick

Chris@SoS said:

take care,
-- Chris

Thank Chris but it was too late for me but no biggie. I got it taken care of....great service and thanks.

I had this done this past week, I had the mechanic mark the alignment of the rack relative to the bushings but it didn't help, the steering wheel was off when they put it back together. (this is a shop that has a lot of experience on the NSX). So I had to get the alignment, which made it a lot more expensive than I had planned, but not too much I can do about it unless I wanted my wheel centered off to the right:frown: In all honesty I can't tell the difference but I guess its one less thing to worry about.

I inspected the removed bushings and they actually looked like they were in pretty good shape, no sign of shrinkage or dry rot. I guess unless I had those parts apart or believed/feel the bushings to be worn I would not change them out. Just my $.02

I put them on my NSX...1991 27,000 miles. The OEM bushings looked fine, but they were not much $$$ and new parts are always good. I didnt know about the alignment issue but my mechanic must have been on it as I was not out of alignment.

I dont have any noise.

Sterring may have been a bit tighter but its hard to tell a big difference as the bushing that were in there were not bad.

Thanks for the inexpensive upgrade Chris.

Jason

I got them too, thinking it wasn't too expensive and could only make a positive change even though my car is '98, so not really old yet.

After putting them on, I must say I haven't noticed any change, but the replaced OE parts still looked and felt perfect.

I did however find one problem while working: as my car has powersteering, the rack has very litttle clearance around it.
I was not able to remove the half bushing on the front of the PS rack by just removing all bolts holding the rack to the frame, there just wasn't enough space to move the rack aside to remove this half bushing.
Only way in my opinion would have been to completely remove the steering rack from the car and that wasn't an option afaiwc.
So I replaced all rubber bushings except the one mentioned, figuering this one wouldn't make any difference.
At least on my PS equipped '98, I don't see how this one half bushing can be replaced without taking everything apart.

It is mentioned that alignment will be off when doiing this.
If just the steering rack mounting bolts are removed, you won't change alignment, you could only fractionally change the relative position of the steering wheel by moving the complete rack. On my '98 however, there wasn't any possibility to do this as the rack just "slotted" into position.

I installed these a few months ago and the whole operation took about an hour. Replacing the D-shaped bushing was easy, but the 4 cone shaped ones were a real pain in the ass. I also screwed up the centering on the alignment, but it was a relatively small amount.

With the new bushings installed, the change in steering feel was really minor but definitely noticeable. In comparison, I swapped new front tires last month and that yielded a 4-5x bigger change in steering feel. Overall, it was a worthwhile change (for my 94 anyway).

-- Joe

I just installed these bushings and there is a subtle but definite change to the steering "feel". The best way I can describe it is the steering has a more "direct" feel to it: you have a better sense of what the front wheels are "doing" or rolling over.

At the same time, I installed the NSX-R chassis bars. There are no torque specs for the front bar to the brackets, and I would recommend 30 N*m for those and 60 N*m for the one just behind the radiator below if anybody cares.

Car feels more solid, and given the usual price of upgrades for the NSX these are "must haves" and great weekend projects to incorporate with at DIY oil change since you're going to have the car up on stands anyways.

Somehow I managed to install the bushings without needing to mess with the tie rod ends to re-align my steering wheel so it is lined up correctly.

Parts were installed on a '94.

--
George

My set was installed last week and have put 250 miles on it since as I am breaking in my Refreshed Sos Engine.
The car is much more enjoyable to drive now.
Edmonton roads are poor and full of truck ruts.
The car drives nice through these sections now.
Thanks Chris.
Trev

Just got mine. My car has 90k so I figured I'd change them. Someone mentioned instructions but I don't think I got any? Is it online?

I've got about 60k on my '91, I bought the SOS kit years ago and have yet to put them in. Mine did not look worn back then, but I will be swapping them out in a few weeks and see how worn and possibly cracked they are now. I know the repair manual has the rack replacement in I do not think the rack needs to be removed to replace them, and I do recall SOS sending the instructions in the kit I'd have to look and see whats in there.

Back