• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

sound system

I am thinking of upgrading my sound system but I do not want to put a sub box in the passenger footwell. I was thinking of replacing the 6.5's in the door and keeping factory sub. Anyone know if this will work? Also, any suggestions on 6.5's that are good on the lower end? Thanks in advance.

That is not an unreasonable proposal - if you are not into the heavy bass appeal of current music fads, you could get a decent improvement from a quality set of door speakers - go with a component set-up to get the best response, marginally more install work than a co-axial. MB Quart, Infinity & Focals are all good choices worthy of your consideration.
It really depends on your budget - you could easily get an 8" sub & custom enclosure that would fit anonomously in the original location that is not going to overpower you but round out the total sound experience. However, the enclosure is typically going to be much more expensive than your speaker selection here!
You may wish to at least consider the possibility of running the additional speaker & RCA cables to your amp location for future consideration - minimal extra cost for the cables versus the work of having to re-do it all again if you decide to add later. (Traditional location for the amp is in the trunk, although you may also be able to locate it vertically behind one of the seats.)
You could start with a 2 channel amp if you are absolutley set on just doing the doors, or give yourself more future options with a quality 4 channel - you can run this bridged to 2 channel if you like but could run a sub off 2 channels bridged plus one each for the doors in future. To go with a 4-ch & the additional wiring up front will not be too much more $$$ but give you more options after you hear the result from your primary choice of new doors plus stock sub. You can always defer the cost of the most expensive component (sub + enclosure) this way too, till a later time.

p.s. Quick plug - I have a 4 ch amp & custom trunk enclosure listed in the for sale section
pain.gif

Last edited:
Thanks D'ecosse. Good idea about keeping the options open for present use and future additions. Your reply was so imformative, i feel led to post additional details on use and preference. First off, im not concerned about budget as long I get what I pay for. I like bass, but dont want to loose any passenger area for it. Just want something a little better than what the currently bose does. Not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination, but would like to take advantage of the mp3 players that are currently being offered and upgrade to a little better sound system while im doing it.

I'm confident you will be able to get a sub enclosure in the original location for 8" and many have installed 10", without sacrificing any interior space. There are several members of this board that offer that service if you do a search on subwoofer enclosure. Cost for the box is ~$400 plus sub of your choice from there. If you are not looking for the booming predominant bass for rap, hip-hop etc, an 8" should be adequate for your described needs.
The stock head unit can be utulized if you don't want to re-do your console (Big project - just spent Sunday till 1am doing that!!!!!!!) & go with the CH-634 Alpine which has MP3 capability.
You will get cleaner sound from a better head unit also however.

I'm not sure - However, what I did however was to remove the red filter from the clock & climate control display panels & now the LCD's are a pretty blue colour, more closely matching most modern head units. Of course the main instrument panel is still orange - I'll tackle that another time!
Are you going to start with a new blank console (from SOS or Dali) or modify the original? Doing it yourself or having it done? Might be able to give you some pointers on how we did mine.

I got the Sony MEX-5DI - http://sm.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...5&c=3&g=62700&I=158MEX5DI&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

Last edited:
just a couple things, and then I'll be on my way...

1) anyone have any pictures of aftermarket audio installs in an NSX? Anything from new speakers to reworked dashes would be great to see.

2) I believe Blaupunkt has released a revolutionary new subwoofer designed for extremely tight locations. It looks a bit like a flying saucer. Blaupunkt doesn't have any info that I can find on their website, but I know I have an article on it back at home. I'll check it out tonight and post whatever I can find out. All I know is that it would fit in a door (with some modification to widen the holes) or under a seat. I believe it comes in 10" and 12" variations. I'll post more when I find more info...

Custom Audio

Here are some pictures of my custom cut dash board for my MP3 Premier Head unit and custom cut door panels for my MB Quart tweeters.

Attachments

• nsx dashr.jpg
    nsx dashr.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 2,123
clean install. good job!

About the Blaupunkt subs I mentioned in a previous post, here is a picture, as well as some information. These might be a great solution to those NSX owners seeking a bit more thump without sacrificing extra space...

odwp1200s_suboofer_75.jpg

Blaupunkt has introduced the ODw1200T, a full power 12-inch subwoofer with a mounting depth of 2 inches and a weight of just 4 pounds. The second generation of the company's "Saucer Subwoofer" technology, it features the company's revolutionary Aluminum-skin and foam-core diaphragm, a new, powerful Neodymium magnet and lightweight plastic basket.

Pricing is around $300-$350 per sub, retail.

Specs on a 12" model:

Mounting Debth 2 1/4 inch
Frequency Response: 45-160hz +/- 2dB
Maximum SPL: 120.0 dB
Xmax: 7.6mm
Sensitivity: 86.9dB with 2.83 volts
Recommended eclosure size is .5 - 1.5 cubic feet, either sealed or ported.

I hope this helps you guys out who are looking for a space-efficient solution...

Anybody knows the volume of the oem sub? You think this 10" Blaupunkt can be custom fitted to the oem sub box with good result?

Some pics of the new Sony MEX-5DI - had to rush the final stages: if you look closely some minor surface imperfections on the glass resin fill. (modified the stock console)
It was getting late - will pull it again & re-finish to make it perfect!

Attachments

• stereo 021.jpg
    stereo 021.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,992
Attitude Adjuster said:
Who sells them? Dealer?
Blaupunkt is a very common brand, available at many car audio shops. Even if they don't stock this exact Blaupunkt model, they should be able to order it (assuming these speakers are now available).

Just look on Blaupunkt's site for the dealer locator.

donwon said:
I am thinking of upgrading my sound system but I do not want to put a sub box in the passenger footwell. I was thinking of replacing the 6.5's in the door and keeping factory sub. Anyone know if this will work? Also, any suggestions on 6.5's that are good on the lower end? Thanks in advance.

Donwon,

wanted to give you my 2 cents of input.

I am a huge audio fanatic. Some of the San Diego NSXer's have heard my system in my Explorer and my NSX.

My original intention was to rip out the stock system and put a whole new system. However, after I had the deck replaced with Alpine 7998, my installer(cliff), who only works on factory sponsor systems and very high-end system. Some of his work can be seen in many of the audio magazines. His recomenndation(I agreed with him) was not to put a sub in passender side. He told me that the passenger would feel too much punch and problay suffer headaches and it would be hard to balance the sound.

As for the facotry speakers. they are actually not to bad. after the new deck, system sounds so, so , much better. The Alpine unit has controls to increase your base. It has a time corection, which would bring even balance and increase the base to the driver side to get the "thump" you like.

Before you go on and spend lots of money, try the deck first. If you are still not happy with the results, then replace the side speakers. Remember, the factory speakers are good, so if you want a better sounding speakers. you need to spend about $2000 for speakers and amp. This is Cliff said. What ever you do, make sure you get a high-end installer to work on your car. Its so important.

I had spent about $5000 on my integra and about $3500 on my explorer. I had many experience in this. If you have futher questions, You can pm me and I'll give you my office number to chat.

Good luck.

Re: Re: sound system

K2 said:
As for the facotry speakers. they are actually not to bad. .. Remember, the factory speakers are good, ......

One man's opinion - They're mediocre and frankly the reliability problems alone make them worth replacing.

so if you want a better sounding speakers. you need to spend about $2000 for speakers and amp.

You can spend a quarter of that & still get a decent quality pair of 6.5" components and amplifier that will out-perform the stock units (albeit not including install) - you simply cannot get the same performance from the tiny midrange bose speaker that you can from a 6.5" plus seperate tweeter.

check out JL audio, i had 2 x 6in subs installed in passenger footwell and lost very little space, i also went with a set of JL audio seperates in each door and the depth and clarity of sound is amazing, i used Nakamichi for the rest of the components, 6 disc in dash head unit and 3 x 800 amps, i was going for power along with clarity, i managed to get great bass without the annoying thump that can sometime be associated with it. The whole setup was kinda pricey, but i firmly believe that you get what you pay for.

question to D'ecosse......how did you get the white or blue display for the fan blower clock etc......isnt it amber...?? wanna show me your trick?

Mike:D

pok8rok8 said:
question to D'ecosse......how did you get the white or blue display for the fan blower clock etc......isnt it amber...?? wanna show me your trick?

Mike:D

It's blue - the red/amber colour is because of a filter screen in front of the lcd display in the modules.
You have to remove the center console of course to get to the climate control unit, but once you have got that far it's pretty easy. The clock is much more accessible as it just pops out as the first step in removing console anyway - but you wouldn't want to do one w/o the other.
Once you have the modules out, remove the front panels to get access to the colour filters you will see inside the front screen. The climate control one is easy as it just peels off; the clock is a little more work as it is held on by what is like about 6 plastic rivets - just dremel these off carefully until you can pop off the filter. I think to get to the one on the clock you have to renove the lcd display from the front panel - don't remember exactly but its pretty intuitive once you're in there.
Keep them in case you decide to put it back one day - simple to reverse also.

D'Ecosse said:
It's blue - the red/amber colour is because of a filter screen in front of the lcd display in the modules.
You have to remove the center console of course to get to the climate control unit, but once you have got that far it's pretty easy. The clock is much more accessible as it just pops out as the first step in removing console anyway - but you wouldn't want to do one w/o the other.
Once you have the modules out, remove the front panels to get access to the colour filters you will see inside the front screen. The climate control one is easy as it just peels off; the clock is a little more work as it is held on by what is like about 6 plastic rivets - just dremel these off carefully until you can pop off the filter. I think to get to the one on the clock you have to renove the lcd display from the front panel - don't remember exactly but its pretty intuitive once you're in there.
Keep them in case you decide to put it back one day - simple to reverse also.

Thanks man....i will do that....hope things workout

Mike

ps is it brighter or better?

Back