• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spa Yellow 97 NSX in Montreal

Hi to all, this is my first post and I'm on the hunt for the right NSX for me. I've found one in the Montreal area that I'm hoping someone might have some info on. I don't yet have the VIN but I hope to soon. The car is for sale at AutomobileBestBuy.ca and is a 1997 Spa Yellow with only 48,000 km according to the add. Since I'm in Alberta I'm trying to do some research before I have to get on an airplane to go look at it. Any help or intel on the car would be appreciated. Thanks to all and hopefully I'll join the ranks of NSX owners soon.

I don't know much about NSX's as I'm also just starting to seriously look but I've seen the adds for that car and the rear bumper doesn't even come close to matching paint colors. I'm also in Alberta (Calgary actually) have you looked at any of the NSX's currently for sale in Alberta?

I've just started looking as well. I had been looking at 911's but I decided thats not really what I wanted. I've talked to the guy selling the yelloe 97. It was backed into and the body shop couldnt get the paint to match. I havent looked at the one's for sale around here (Edmonton) yet. That's on the list of things to do.

If it was only backed into and no other accident, this could be a great purchase, provided you can live with yellow. The bumper could be painted again or better go 02+ valence. What other info can you share with primers? Got the VIN? One of the most useful aspects of this forum is the archive where many cars are documented, allowing potential buyers to track the history of cars they might be interested in buying.

There seems to be quite a few nice 91s in Calgary? Many advertised on Trader, most have been advertised for months now, not sure how up to date the database is.

The VIN that I've been give is JH4NA216XV1800004. I can't find any info on the VIN and anywhere I input it is comes up invalid. I'm not sure what's happening. I think I could live with the yellow. The car has aftermarket wheels and lowered suspension. I guess ride is pretty stiff so supposedly there's some rattles in the car. I'm not sure if there's been any other mods done to it.

I've been out of town so I haven't had much chance to do any looking. Hopefully I can do that over the next week of so.

i would get a photo of the vin for safety and run it through carfax/carproof.... seems like a decent deal based on the basics.

The VIN that I've been give is JH4NA216XV1800004. I can't find any info on the VIN and anywhere I input it is comes up invalid. I'm not sure what's happening. I think I could live with the yellow. The car has aftermarket wheels and lowered suspension. I guess ride is pretty stiff so supposedly there's some rattles in the car. I'm not sure if there's been any other mods done to it.

I've been out of town so I haven't had much chance to do any looking. Hopefully I can do that over the next week of so.

- - - Updated - - -

btw guys, if your looking at the yellow one in montreal, there is also a red 95 targa with 200,000 km in ontario as well as as a green 95 targa with 160,000 km in ontario; both hovering around the 30 grand mark.

i know for certain the green one has been reduced from 45->33k and the red one was asking over 35k (if my memory serves me correctly) and is now a tad under 30 grand. i recall both cars have been on sale all summer season '2013 (if not longer) and with the season coming to the end and winter right around the corner you guys may have some wiggle room to negotiate.

best of luck!

Last edited:
I think I figured out the mistake in the VIN number posted above, the "1" after "V" should be "T" (assembly plant). Works out to JH4NA216XVT800004 and that's a proper NSX VIN.

and what do the results say? any insight to how/when it was hit?

I think I figured out the mistake in the VIN number posted above, the "1" after "V" should be "T" (assembly plant). Works out to JH4NA216XVT800004 and that's a proper NSX VIN.

and what do the results say? any insight to how/when it was hit?

Sorry I didn't run Carproof since I'm not actively pursuing this one. I did a quick google search and came with nothing except some listing with nothing new from the main ad. I'm pretty confident it is the correct VIN number however, I thought someone could use the info and go from there.

I'm still looking at this car. I've talked to the guy a few times and found a few of the warts on the car. It sounds like the biggest issue is the paint on the plastic (bumpers) is a little off from the rest of the body. I just need to get to the Montreal area to look at the car first hand.

I'm still looking at this car. I've talked to the guy a few times and found a few of the warts on the car. It sounds like the biggest issue is the paint on the plastic (bumpers) is a little off from the rest of the body. I just need to get to the Montreal area to look at the car first hand.

I'm not so sure. There is a new set of pictures on the ad, check the one from straight back, there are unusual gaps between the lights and the fenders, on both sides. I'll let the experts discuss this issue, but for sure there must be a question or two to ask. Link: http://www.lespac.com/vehicules/aut...acura-nsx-targa-LPaZZ27960960WWcpZZ26WWgrZZ12

Guys, 35k is a steal for a 97, so please do your DD and ensure that everything is legit .

Both bumpers are off colour and the right quarter is off as well, but this can be a reflection off the wall.

Regardless, the price is way to low to be true, so hi- res pictures of all the body panels , the interior and engine bay would help.

Oh yeah, one more thing, this is one of 13 that was sold in Canada for MY 97, so it is a rare car that was sold in small numbers.

Bram

Last edited:
Supposedly the car was backed into in a parking lot. I've been told they painted the rear bumper but couldn't get it close. I was told that the bumper does not line up so I asked for pictures showing the misalignment. That might be why the pics on the website were changed. The cover over the front tow hook mount point is missing as well but I wasn't told of any damage to the front end. Does anyone know a reputable dealer in the Montreal area that I could take the car too? There is a 95 in Calgary for about the same price. It's a US car with a few more miles but it looks pretty clean. Your thoughts on one versus the other would be most appreciated? One major point is I wouldn't have to have it shipped across the country.

In my opinion 97-2001 are the best years for nsx, and can be some of the hardest to find since they rarely come up for sale, and i think the spa yellow is a great color.. If the car is well cared for and no accidents in its history I would jump on it if you love it. The 97 has the classic 1st generation look with the flap up headlights that you dont see on cars anymore, and it has all the performance upgrades that really make a great car even greater.

I made the trip to Montreal to have a look at the car. Besides the rear bumper being hit the drivers side rear quarter panel also looks like it's been tweaked. It's kicked up where it meets up with the side skirt and it's also slightly high where it meets up with the rear wing. The gap between the quarter panel and the inner door jamb also looks a little off. It seems to open up slightly in a few spots. The car drives OK. The fan control and A/C need work. The interior is in good shape. The plastic has faded and the paint on the rear of the car is a little "off". It would be a good project car or a car for someone that doesn't care about that stuff. I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for.

Chuck, I was also talking to the seller (Rafael) about it. Apparently there's some quirk about the kilometers shown on the history of the car, there's a maintenance record in the history that shows more mileage than the one proceeding it. The guy said that maintenance was done in US and that's why the mileage is recorded in Miles for that one maintenance record.

Anyways, I didn't get into it that much, but sounded fishy to me. He even said someone bought the car from him but returned it because of this KM problem.

I pulled a CarFax on it and it looks like the car went from Quebec to Florida and was registered there. I think they entered miles instead of kilometers when it was registered. It was then brought back and reregistered in Quebec but the CarFax does show a dealer in Florida having the car. It does look a little funny.

milage discrepencies from km/miles re imported cars happen often... i dont think its a huge deal provided that the carproof/carfax before importation has consistent milage that checks out with the overall story.

imo i think this yellow 97 would be a great project car provided the price is right.

I pulled a CarFax on it and it looks like the car went from Quebec to Florida and was registered there. I think they entered miles instead of kilometers when it was registered. It was then brought back and reregistered in Quebec but the CarFax does show a dealer in Florida having the car. It does look a little funny.

Last edited:
haha i hear you... if i bought this yellow car id 'have' to do 02 update front rear, new side skirts, maybe complete exterior rio yellow repaint (since there are some body work issues), new leather seats with red (maybe yellow) stitching... bc coilovers, advan 5s, etc etc etc.

basically itll be a WHILE before the day that actually enjoying the car will be a reality. however if the milage ie real and the car is overall in decent condition, could be worth the 'hassle'.

I agree. I think it would be a good project car. I'm just not sure I want another project car!

Back