• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spare tire conversion from orange to yellow

Hello

Does anyone have advice on now to change under-hood fastening to accommodate the yellow spare tire? I have the new bracket and tire but the holes don’t seem to line up. Does the yellow spare fit in the old bracket holder?

FYI, the yellow spare fits under the front w/ Tarox 6-piston, but does not fit under the rear w/ 6-tarox and Brembo parking brake. If I get a rear flat, I’ll have to remove the e-brake caliper to make it work :(

TIA

DanO

What is the difference between a yellow and orange.
Sorry for not answering your original question but I didn't know the spares were different colors.

The orange spare came with the '91-96 NSX. In '97, they enlarged the size of the front brake rotors and calipers, and as a result, the orange spare no longer fit. So beginning in '97, they made the wheel for the spare tire bigger. They also changed the color that the wheel is painted to yellow.

The '91-'96 and '97+ brackets are not interchangeable as you've discovered because they use different mounting points.

I THINK you can put the '97+ spare in the '91-'96 bracket, though but I have not tried it. The spare from Comptech to clear their big brake kit fits in either bracket, which is why I say I think the '97+ will fit too. Give it a shot and post the result!

spare tire

I have a silver spare for my '93 NSX. It has small spokes like the newer NSX stock wheels. It also says Nissan on it. I bought it off of a guy named Jason on NSX prime. Guess I better make sure it fits.

NSXpnsv said:
I have a silver spare for my '93 NSX. It has small spokes like the newer NSX stock wheels. It also says Nissan on it. I bought it off of a guy named Jason on NSX prime. Guess I better make sure it fits.
Doesn't sound like the stock NSX spare. Does it have the collapsible tire on it?

Spare

nsxtasy said:
Doesn't sound like the stock NSX spare. Does it have the collapsible tire on it?
Yeah. it has the tire identical to my orange spare. Its WAY better looking than the orange one and appears to have same offset and bolt pattern. I've been too busy installing my new stereo system to bolt the tire on or even put it under the hood. I'll try it tomorrow.

Dang spare tire

Well the results are in. The silver spare has the exact same tire as my orange NSX spare. Same size rim and inflates to the exact same size. It fits perfectly under the hood. Bolt pattern is the same but when I went to mount it up, no workie. The center hub hole is too small. It also has a 1/4" less offset. Dang, I've been duped again. I bought it off of this sight from a guy named Jason. Hey Jason, the spare tire is not for an NSX!

spare tire fitment

Lud said:
The '91-'96 and '97+ brackets are not interchangeable as you've discovered because they use different mounting points.

I THINK you can put the '97+ spare in the '91-'96 bracket, though but I have not tried it. The spare from Comptech to clear their big brake kit fits in either bracket, which is why I say I think the '97+ will fit too. Give it a shot and post the result!

My old 97 spare fit on a 91 with no problems.

Re: Dang spare tire

NSXpnsv said:
Well the results are in. The silver spare has the exact same tire as my orange NSX spare. Same size rim and inflates to the exact same size. It fits perfectly under the hood. Bolt pattern is the same but when I went to mount it up, no workie. The center hub hole is too small. It also has a 1/4" less offset. Dang, I've been duped again. I bought it off of this sight from a guy named Jason. Hey Jason, the spare tire is not for an NSX!

So if it's for a Nissan, maybe you can sell it to a Nissan owner? Find out which model it's made for.

NSXpnsv said:
Bolt pattern is the same but when I went to mount it up, no workie. The center hub hole is too small.
Good thing you didn't find this out at the side of the road!

BTW, NSX spare wheels/tires (real ones) often pop up for sale on eBay and on the forums here...

His user name is JJCNSX. I took the the spare to the nissan dealer who ran the part #. Its off of a '93 300ZX. I e-mailed him and told him and this was his response:

[/I] SILVER? No way, are you sure you didn't mix it up with another
sparetire? The one I sent you was orange or yellow.. and I am fairly
sure it is NSX spare tire

And I don't think it says Nissan either. Pls take a digital pix, and I
will verify. If indeed it was the one I sent you, I will see what I can
do for you.

jason

I'm trying to get some digital pictures now and we'll see if he comes clean. I love it- "are you sure you didn't mix it up with another sparetire?" What a joke. Lets see now...... I ordered one spare tire.....perhaps I mixed it up with the ONLY ONE I HAVE EVER ORDERED!

Spare

Thanks Dano I appreciate that. Most of the people on this site (such as yourself) are super helpful, honest people. I have an orange spare. The only reason I bought the spare from JJCNSX was for the folding tire that he said was perfect but even that has little cracks in the rubber. I should check with the dealer how much a new folding tire is. I wan't one that hasn't touched the road. Have you ever checked the price for one? Has your spare ever been used? If not, I may be interested. Let me check the price on the rubber. Thanks again.

using yellow where orange was

I went through this. I am using a yellow in a '93. It is over 1" larger in diameter than orange, but it does mount on the '91 bracket. It is a very tight fit as it now wedges up against the protective ABS 'bumper'. I was also afraid it might not allow the hood to close, but it does.

NSXpnsv said:
I should check with the dealer how much a new folding tire is. I wan't one that hasn't touched the road. Have you ever checked the price for one? Has your spare ever been used? If not, I may be interested. Let me check the price on the rubber.
You can't buy a tire unless you buy a wheel along with it. List price on the tire/wheel is over $900. :eek: I have seen used ones sell in the $100-150 range.

Spare Tire for 300ZX

You're right. $900 plus for the factory spare. Guess I won't be taking that route. I e-mailed some pictures of the Nissan spare to Jason and with a little coaxing, he finally came clean. He refunded half my money and told me to keep the spare. I can take the rubber off of the Nissan spare and put it on the NSX spare I have. Thanks Dano for the offer on the spare. Now maybe I can sleep at night. LOL

Cool spare

With a little machining and a spacer, sounds like that would make a cool spare rim. How about posting the digital picture of it?

Digital Pic of Nissan spare

I tried to post a picture but all my photos are way over the 100000 bit limit. Haven't had time to figure out how to reduce the size of the pictures. Any tips? I'm running Windows ME.

NSXpnsv said:
I tried to post a picture but all my photos are way over the 100000 bit limit. Haven't had time to figure out how to reduce the size of the pictures. Any tips?
Upload them to an Imagestation account and then link to the resized photos in your Imagestation album, following the instructions here and on the Imagestation site. That way you can also display multiple photos in a single post.

Back