• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spare Tire..Do i need it??

& If I get a flat I'll probably Tow the car anyway... Any thoughts???
:smile:
You answered your own question :biggrin:

You can buy a "fix-a-flat can" and put it in the trunk then you
only have to tow the car when a tire blow.

ps : I have a fix a flat can in my trunk and no spare tire :smile:

most of the tires we use are so hard that they are almost " RUN-FLAT ' tires.

while getting my current tires my Tire guy told me to stand on my new tire. I stood on the very edge of the tire and it didnt even bend.

he told me thats a strong tire. almost a run flat.

I took mine out the first day i had my NSX. and yeah fix-a-flat works great I have a can in all my cars.

its your car but a huge tire and the tire mounting brackets vs 1 little can

thats alot of weight ya know

I thought I saw a thread about this some time ago... where it was considered that the spare tire is might have been placed precisely for weight distribution and for absorbing impact in the front? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I say keep it. My tire blew between Baker,ca and Barstow and if it wasn't for my spare tire I would have been stranded on the freeway. If an extra 25lbs is a burden then I guess that's a decision your gonna have to make.

I thought I saw a thread about this some time ago... where it was considered that the spare tire is might have been placed precisely for weight distribution and for absorbing impact in the front? Correct me if I'm wrong.

You sir are correct.

That being said, I haven't had the spare in the car for the last 3+ years.

I have AAA.....

Last edited:

I say keep it. My tire blew between Baker,ca and Barstow and if it wasn't for my spare tire I would have been stranded on the freeway. If an extra 25lbs is a burden then I guess that's a decision your gonna have to make.

Both of the statements are good reasons to keep one. The latter especially if you are away from your regular travel routes.

We found ourselves in a similar situation a few years ago where the driver went over a barely noticeable debris in backroads twisties some 125 miles away from home. The nearest tire shop was 20 miles away and they wouldn't touch the hole created by the nail; and of course no one carried the size. We limped back on the spare.

STMPO says keep it in the case of a front impact. It supposedly cushions in a front end accident. I don't know for sure, but it seems to make sense. That being said, I took mine out for two reasons.
1) I upgraded my brakes to the Racing Brake 13" and the spare no longer fits over the brakes
2) The extra weight on the front end made the front of my car too low to get out of my driveway. .

I was going to see if the newer 16" spare might fit, but I doubt it.

Took mine OFF since day 2, here is why:

IS WAY TO HEAVY!!

Ironicaly we had a nail once (that my girl drove over) .. then it took me a whole 20 minutes to fixe the tire, all I have in my trunk is:

auto-part-tire-repair-kit.jpg

+ the Stock air pump.

I don't use the tire flat fixer since once a tire guy recommended to me not to use that.

Of course a BLOWN tire or a destroyed tire is pretty rare to happen, I managed to put 19K miles in 2 years (not even a DD car) and one incident ...

Oscar

PS: I had like 14 nails during all this years, all fixed @ home, like that, thanks God tires are not pneumatic anymore :)

One thing i forgot to say, If i happen to have a trip over 500 miles each way, hell yes I am installing my spare.

Sort of related...Let's say you damage a tire and have to mount your spare. Where do you put the damaged tire/rim? Will it fit in the spare location? (I doubt it) Do you just leave it by the side of the road hidden in the weeds and come back for it later?

Sort of related...Let's say you damage a tire and have to mount your spare. Where do you put the damaged tire/rim? Will it fit in the spare location? (I doubt it) Do you just leave it by the side of the road hidden in the weeds and come back for it later?

It should fit in the trunk. If you look in the trunk, one side is deeper and rounded, in order to fit the damaged tire. This was done with stock sizes in mind. If you are driving solo, there is always the passenger seat.

Kenny

Ask yourself this:

Do you have larger aftermarket wheels?

Will they fit in your trunk or passenger seat?

When you go on a long trip, is your trunk packed and do you have a passenger?

If so, even if you have a spare and you get a flat, what will you do?

...food for thought.

I took mine out. Can of Slime or a tire plug kit and the stock air pump fits my constraints and is more convenient.

When my tire blew out near Barstow I had to put my rear 19 inch tire in the front seat. It would not fit in the trunk and there was no way I was gonna leave it on the freeway! Luckily i had my spare and went back to Vegas.

By the way, any of you guys with older cars try to inflate your OEM spare only to watch it disintegrate from rubber rotting?

Last edited:
Get rid of it:wink:

I have had my car for 1 year now during this time I went on two trips that were over 600 miles one way.

Trip one I bent the front rim on a pot hole about three hundred miles from home. I had a compressor and patch kit along with AAA card . Triple A and patch kit were not much help. The compressor did help me get 25 miles at a time before having to fill the tire again until I found some fix a flat which sealed up the rim.

Trip two I had a careless driver back in to my left from tire with his trailer hitch. This cut the tire, not so much to the point that it leaked but it was not safe to drive on. Car was flatbedded back to where I was staying in Mountain Home, AR. I ended up having a tire overnighted from TireRack because I cound not find a 17" OEM size anywhere.

I wish I had that spare along.

Murphy's Law dictates that as soon as you pull it out you will end up needing it. ;)

Do I need to have a spare tire along all the time...

It is very Heavy.....

& If I get a flat I'll probably Tow the car anyway... Any thoughts???:smile:

I feel better with the spare in the car. I once read it is part of the crumple zone. I am not sure that is true or not.

As far as it being very heavy, I could lose 20lbs, gain better health and not worry about my spare tire! :smile:

Back