• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Speed sensor questions and help needed

My speedo has been bouncing all over the place. I am worried the needle or speedo is going to get damaged before I can replace the sensor. The ccomputer code shows the sensor is the problem (at least this is what I was told). Can I unplug the speed sensor so my speedomoeter quites bouncing around? Will it hurt the engine if I leave the sensor unplugged for a week or two until I can get a new one? I found one cheap on Ebay.

Where is the speed sensor plug located so I can unplug it? I need help from some of you pros out there.

I don't know anything about the speed sensor but cannot imagine disconnecting it would damage the engine in any way. You just won't know how fast you are going.

Not sure if having the sensor disconnected will change the fuel mixture and mess with your smog stuff however????? Maybe this might harm your engine??? Heck, I don't know as I think about it. Wait for someone who knows to chime in!

Trust me when I say this.....there are a ton of "experts" on this site that will be able to answer your questions and walk you through the process of locating and replacing the speed sensor, or anything else that may go wrong with your NSX.

Wait for these experts to chime in before taking your car to the dealer and pay retail for the part and repair.

I have done lots of things to my NSX's over the years after receiving direction from my friends on NSX Prime. I'll bet you will get some photos as well as directions how to make the repair yourself. This equates into serious savings so you can buy some other goodies for your car!

I had this problem last summer. My speedo started bouncing and then just died one day. I drove it with the dead speedo (but not disconnected) for about a week before I was able to replace the speed sensor. I did not have any TCS or ABS issues, though I believe both modules use a data point from the sensor. New speed sensor totally cured the issue.

I can't give any concrete help on this, but I heard:

1) With a non-functioning or unplugged speed sensor, engine RPM is limited to 7k RPM.

2) Instead of buying a new speed sensor, I heard there is a rebuild kit for them.

My speed sensor usually dies anytime I drive the car for more than 3-4 hours continuously. It's on my list to fix this summer.

Dave

It sits on top of the transmission. Looking down on the airbox side of the car, it is on top of the trans case in the upper right area. It has a metal grate surrounding it that is a heat shield. There is a gray honda electric connector coming out of it connected to a wire. There is no way to tell by looking that the sensor is bad. If your speedo is bouncing, it's the sensor.

Other than not knowing your speed, not putting miles on your odometer, or limiting yourself to 7k RPM, it should not hurt your NSX :wink:

Dave

Will somebody help me and tell me exactly where the speed sensor plug is? My speedo needle is jumping back and forth so fast. I am afriad it is going to break. I unplugged two plugs below the air filter and neither one stopped the speedo needle from moving. Can someone take a picture so I know what to look for?

I will post a pic in a few minutes I took pics. let me upload them for you,

Ok the speed sensor for the tranny is circled in red.

the motor mount at the bottom of the pic is the rear of the car.

and the input shaft if twords the passengerside of the car.

hope this helps

speedsensor.jpg

Thank you Shawn. Where do I go to access this? Do I go under the car and look up? Do I stand above the engine bay and look down? Which side is it on? I am not very mechanically inclined so I need some good instruction.

you cant recieve messages, you must have it turned off. Oh well

let me go look give me a sec, I took pic as I just happen to have a tranny sitting LOL

ok when you open the engine bay glass the latch that keeps the glass locked look directly down from that point and you will see it.

it has 2 10mm bolts that hold the speed sensor in place you can reach it from the top it should be real easy to remove while it in the car.

ok heres the pic. you dont need to remove the cover to get it out.

2 bolts and it should wiggle out. good luck

speedsens.jpg

This is awesome, thank you very much for the picture. Mine bounces too but not crazy, it just doesn't work sometimes.

no that green connector is above it by about 6 inches bad pic. thats the connector for the VTEC

the plug is actually on the sensor you need to press and pull/wiggle to get it off.

Last edited:
okay, I am really confused now. so the red circle does not have the speed sensor in it? I don't see anything in that red circle except for a green plug. can you explain further? where can I see the speed sensor plug?

oh my oh my......

your transmission is near the ground or road.... you Valves are near the top of the car there is a plug that goes into the VTEC spool valve connected to the Valves, the speed sensor is on top of the transmission

so for me to get a CLEAR PICTURE I would need to remove my VTEC Spool valve to take a perfect picture of the speed sensor. Only.

if you were taking a picture of a tree in your yard and placed your finger between the tree and the camera lens and snap the picture and you look at the picture does that mean your finger is touching the tree?

that gree plug is about 6-7 inches or more above the speed sensor.
in the picture it looks like it is touching the speedsensor. it is not.

you need to GO LOOK for your self. put your arm down in there and feel what I am talking about. you will feel were the plug for the speed sensor
is and understand.

looking at pics give you a reference but intill you put your hands down in there you will be asking 30 more questions.

last option take it to a dealer and have them replace it.

I will see if I can take a better picture for you but man you killing me LOL

Agreed. Shawn's pic is about as perfect as you can get as far as seeing it from above. Putting it back in is even more fun- I taped the grate to the sensor to get everything to fit in right. Plus, the speed sensor has some small parts (spindle) that can fall out if you are too rough removing it or installing it.

Figured out where the speed sensor is and disconnected it. Speedo quit bouncing around. It now seems like my power steering doesn't work since disconnecting the speed sensor. Could this be possible or am I imgaining it? I looked for a fuse to check to see if the power steering blew a fuse but cannot find one. Is there a way to check and see if my power steering is working? Is there a fuse or something I can disconnect on the power steering so I can compare?

Figured out where the speed sensor is and disconnected it. Speedo quit bouncing around. It now seems like my power steering doesn't work since disconnecting the speed sensor. Could this be possible or am I imgaining it? I looked for a fuse to check to see if the power steering blew a fuse but cannot find one. Is there a way to check and see if my power steering is working? Is there a fuse or something I can disconnect on the power steering so I can compare?

If you still need help with this PM me I live in Hollywood fl

Back