• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Steal of the century? VIN JH4NA1150NT000569

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why was the sales tax computed on a purchase price of $22,400?

In Massachusetts, when you purchase an out of state car, you pay tax on the book value. If you bought an out of state 2005 NSX for 1$, you're still liable for 6.25% of +/- 70k or whatever it's worth. I remember when I was at the registry, I was paying the difference in tax for my NSX. Bought my 03 for 46k and I was taxed on 60k. Already paid the Colorado dealership 6.25% of 46k. When I registered the car, Massachusetts said not so fast, you still owe tax on 14k. The guy next to me paid 15k for a Grand National from New Hampshire and was screaming at the lady because she said he is being taxed at 25k for the Grand National. Maybe that's why we're known as Taxachusetts. Funny I read this thread today, Chino was the first guy to ever offer me a ride in an actual NSX when I was still dreaming of ownership. The steal of the century couldn't have gone to a better guy. :smile: Chino if you are reading this, you beat me to the NSX and GTR, but I think I'm gonna beat you to the 12C.:biggrin:

In Massachusetts, when you purchase an out of state car, you pay tax on the book value. If you bought an out of state 2005 NSX for 1$, you're still liable for 6.25% of +/- 70k or whatever it's worth. I remember when I was at the registry, I was paying the difference in tax for my NSX. Bought my 03 for 46k and I was taxed on 60k. Already paid the Colorado dealership 6.25% of 46k. When I registered the car, Massachusetts said not so fast, you still owe tax on 14k. The guy next to me paid 15k for a Grand National from New Hampshire and was screaming at the lady because she said he is being taxed at 25k for the Grand National. Maybe that's why we're known as Taxachusetts. Funny I read this thread today, Chino was the first guy to ever offer me a ride in an actual NSX when I was still dreaming of ownership. The steal of the century couldn't have gone to a better guy. :smile: Chino if you are reading this, you beat me to the NSX and GTR, but I think I'm gonna beat you to the 12C.:biggrin:

But the average nada value is 32k. If its a salvage you pay on the actual purchase price.

- - - Updated - - -

This car had a Florida "Certificate of Destruction" issued as of 2009. Doesn't that mean that "legally" it is deemed not road worthy and incapable of being titled?

- - - Updated - - -

Judging by the evident rust in the engine bay, this nsx looks like it was completely submerged:

engine-2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

18714279_9X-2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The car had almost 28k on the ticker as of November 2009:

18714279_8X.jpg

This can be mitigated with a reconstructed title if roadworthy is the issue.

NsxGnx, are you on the New England Nsx owners Facebook page? If not can you join? I setup meets and stuff we have one this year at Acura Of Boston as well as a special NSX day at Larz museum.

This can be mitigated with a reconstructed title if roadworthy is the issue.

I don't see any record of that having happened. This was a certificate of destruction held by State Farm in 2009. That means it couldn't be driven in the United States and had to be sold overseas or for scrap unless it went someplace like Tennessee or New Mexico to wash the title. It went through copart and ended up in a state that doesn't require a title if car is 15 years old. Now it is registered in Massachusetts but what type of title does it have?

Last edited:
There should be VIN stickers elsewhere and the motor/transmission plates can be matched with a VIN to confirm it's a flood car vs. stolen.

I'd be worried about any type of flood car. You never know where mold could be growing. With that said, this would make a great track car if you gut the full interior, trunk linings, everything!

But the average nada value is 32k. If its a salvage you pay on the actual purchase price.

- - - Updated - - -

This car had a Florida "Certificate of Destruction" issued as of 2009. Doesn't that mean that "legally" it is deemed not road worthy and incapable of being titled?

- - - Updated - - -

Judging by the evident rust in the engine bay, this nsx looks like it was completely submerged:

View attachment 111835

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 111836

- - - Updated - - -

The car had almost 28k on the ticker as of November 2009:

View attachment 111837

Yikes. Is this JH4NA1150NT000569?

if it has a COD in FL it can never be registered in FL again. but all the others states is can. but its weird cuz a COD from another state can be registered in FL

don't ask its all the insane snowbirds that moved down from up north that are making these rules.

I'm confused. Are you guys suggesting this car was not flooded but a scam? Obviously chan made a legitimate purchase.

I'm confused. Are you guys suggesting this car was not flooded but a scam? Obviously chan made a legitimate purchase.

No - car was submerged and was issued a certificate of destruction designation in florida after which it was in New Hampshire where it obviously was cleaned up and no title was necessary since it is over 15 years old. Massachusetts then somehow gave it a clean title.

Last edited:
So if it had a certificate of destruction shouldn't it have been destroyed? I don't know how these things work. Did someone at some point do something not exactly in line with rules and laws?

So if it had a certificate of destruction shouldn't it have been destroyed? I don't know how these things work. Did someone at some point do something not exactly in line with rules and laws?

Apparently, you can take a totaled Florida car at least 15 years old, bring it through New Hampshire where no title is even required for a car of that age and then sell it and register it with a brand new clean title in Massachusetts. It appears to b,e "legal" but I wanted to post up the info I found since I believe the op is now on his 4th nsx and has done a fairly quick flip on one or two so I would not be surprised to see this on the market sooner rather than later. Not to denigrate the op, but this car has been touted quite a bit here as being a steal and mint and clean and I thought it was best that this newly cleansed title have its history noted here.

We have no idea whose car this was? It has a lot of aftermarket goodies. Seems like the owner would have been a prime member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back