• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

steering rattle

anyone know why my steering rattles over bumps ,,when i shake the wheel all the way while on jack stands it rattles,,its like its loose but all connections and bushings are good,no play in steering

Last edited:
Same issue on my 92'. All bolts are tight, all bushings seem in good condition.

My mind is telling me that the culprit is whatever is
A: allowing enough "give" to translate a shock load into the steering column
B: whatever component in the steering column assembly should absorb/dissipate the shock before it reaches the wheel itself.

that being said, my stab in the dark, is bushings for the steering rack allowing the rack to slightly sag and then "jump" when hitting a bump in the road, and secondarily, one of the internal U-joints on the steering column itself having worn out due to the forces from the worn out steering rack bushings.

I think I may be experiencing the same issue. I am replacing steering rack bushings this weekend with SOS bushings. As long as it doesn't snow in the next week, I should be able to let you know if it made any difference on my car...

Have you checked the steering wheel locking nut? (It's the big nut hidden behind the airbag right in the center) When I purchased my NSX that was slightly loose which would allow the wheel to rattle/wobble. I tightend it up and the wheel wasn't rattling anymore. It could be something else though but it's worth a shot to take a look.

raven,,,the rattle is at the bottom of colume ,,,cant tell if its in or out ,,i hear it close to where the colume meets the rack,,,i will check the bushings,,and locking nut...thx

i have the same sound but my is with EPS

The sound even worst after replacing the SOS bushing which I think the SOS bushing actually tighten things up but also allowing wherever making the rattling sound amplifies even more.

same issue on my 92 everything is fine but hit a few small bumps and its a rattletrap up front LOL

dont really have time to figure out what it is.

More info needed. How many miles on car and has it ever been tracked? Also are these manual racks or EPS assisted?

FWIW, The large nut on the bottom of the rack that was referred to in post #5 is an adjustment bolt. When tightened, it will reduce slop in your steering rack due to the bearings wearing. Be careful not to over tighten. When set properly you should still be able to pull the tie rod by hand, only on the manual rack though.

As to a rattle, make sure all the carriage bolts holding the rack and cross-frame are tight and torqued correctly. Secondly you may pull the boot off the steering column under the dash and look at the universal joint and bolts. They may have loosened and that is what you may be hearing.

Please report back your findings.

its an electric steerring rack,93,000miles,,,everything solid under the car,,there is no play in my steering at all,,i can turn my front wheel by hand and watch the steering wheel move its very easy to do this,,may be too easy

EPS rack noise/looseness

My 94 had a bad EPS rack: I could move the steering wheel without getting instant response from the front wheels. It was also noisey but as I had just bought the car I did not carefully diagnose the noise location. I had the rack rebuilt by d1guy (here on Prime). End of problems.
If any of your issues involve the EPS rack I heartily recommend d1Guy to make it right. I believe he also rebuilds the manual racks but better check that with him.

FWIW, if the steering rack and suspension components are tight and not the culprit and what you are experiencing is vibration in steering wheel/column when going over bumps, etc. it could be a component near bottom of steering column (closer to the floor) that is (sorry guys/gals, I don't know proper name of this "thingy") a sort of rubber donut the purpose of which is to damp vibrations coming up through the steering column from the suspension components. Here's how I know this -- I had the dash out of my /94 to deal with some persistent rattles and when my master Acura tech put it all back together he forgot to secure that donut in the correct spot. As soon as I drove away I had the steering column vibrations and when I returned the car to him 10 minutes later and he looked under the steering column he knew immediately that he had forgotten to secure the donut/thingy properly. Two minutes later vibrations gone. Hope this helps.

Best,
Jeff

anyone know why my steering rattles over bumps ,,when i shake the wheel all the way while on jack stands it rattles,,its like its loose but all connections and bushings are good,no play in steering

What year is your car '91? While rebuilding my '91 Project car has very small amount of play and it lightly knocks if you turn rocking the steering wheel left and right quickly a few times. As far as I could tell the play was normal, steering feels fine I also changed the bushing to SOS as the originals were starting to dry-rot and crack. Check your steering wheel column bolts making sure they are tight, I've seen NSX's with loose columns where it has slight movement left and right, usually from people grabbing the steering wheel to get in and out of the car.

If yours has excessive play check out post #18 knock bushing... I do believe a few people have managed to repair theirs: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153561

no play in steering at all,,,struts are fine,,i jacked the car up and isolated the noise to the bottom center a lil towards driver side,i will check out the colume thingy as soon as i can,,love the feedback u guys are a great bunch!!

I'm noticing this on my '93 with the manual rack, its for 138k miles. My thoughts were that its the steering rack itself. Anyone with manual steering experience this?

Back