• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Steering wheel vibration at high speed

My 91 was having a noise when turning the steering wheel in both directions for quite sometime. The noise got worst over the years so I have replaced both inner and outer tie rods, installed the steering knock bush recently. Unfortunately it didn't solve the noise issue. I acquired a used steering rack from Shawn and had it replaced a couple weeks ago. Steering problem was solved instantly! Drove the car for a test drive and the car felt it was shaking due to the steering wheel vibration. This is after the alignment was already done - so it must be the wheel balancing so I did the wheel balancing and the vibration was still there although it felt less than before at speed up to 35-45mph.

I drove the car 70 miles to home and at 60-70mph the steering vibration was worst. I need to hold the steering wheel with both hands since it feels the car was shaking. The next day I took it to a 4 wheel alignment shop and test drove the car in the freeway -no luck! :(

I'm thinking it could be that the steering rack needs to be adjusted particularly the guide rod? Thank for the help in advance.

Last edited:
Also consider tire out of round, or belts broken inside the tire, or starting to delaminate. Also bent wheel. Check tire wobble, can check visually by jacking and spinning the front tires. If looks ok, get a Roadforce balance. If possible swap tires and wheels w a nearby NSX friend see if vibration goes away.

If it goes away at above that speed probably need a better wheel balance.

Actually i tried doing 80mph thinking it will go away but it got worst with higher speed. :(

- - - Updated - - -

Also consider tire out of round, or belts broken inside the tire, or starting to delaminate. Also bent wheel. Check tire wobble, can check visually by jacking and spinning the front tires. If looks ok, get a Roadforce balance. If possible swap tires and wheels w a nearby NSX friend see if vibration goes away.

Never had an issue with vibrations before. It is just after the steering rack replacement that im experiencing it. Also the front rotors were turned and new pads were installed at the same time the steering rack was replaced. Could unbalanced rotors caused vibration? i am ordering a new of tires to see if thats the cause of the vibration.meanwhile i will see of I can swap tires/wheels with someone thanks for the advice!

I had the same issue for years. Changed out the same item. I bought the new rack thinking that was it. But in looking on what was involved, I took about 10-15 mins and tighten the steering yoke inside the car. With yours being changed maybe it was nt tighten down all the way. Once that bolt was tighten problem solved. Do have any steering wheel play without the car moving?

I had the same issue for years. Changed out the same item. I bought the new rack thinking that was it. But in looking on what was involved, I took about 10-15 mins and tighten the steering yoke inside the car. With yours being changed maybe it was nt tighten down all the way. Once that bolt was tighten problem solved. Do have any steering wheel play without the car moving?

Thanks for the response chudson. It must have been quite expensive and so frustrating for you too having to deal with steering issues. :(

So yes - there's a little play when it's not moving the steering feels a little loose. Would you please point to me which bolts needs to be tightened in the diagram below. Thanks again for the help.image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 552
Last edited:
I would try different rims

the rims could be bent, or not balanced

what about wheel hub bearing going bad

do you think its from the front or rear?

Hey Shawn, I had my wheel balanced and alignment done before the steering rack was replaced. I didn't have any issues driving the car except for the clunking noise when turning the wheel left or right. After the steering rack was replaced the clunking noise is gone but now I'm dealing with steering wheel vibration. It gets worst with speed. It was balanced and aligned before I drove the car home. At about 70 miles comes serious vibration - it was quite scary so I limit my speed at 65mph. Next day took it to another 4 wheel alignment shop and that didn't fix the issue.

I didn't have problems with my current wheels and tires before the steering rack replacement. To eliminate the tires/wheels being the source of the problem I ordered at new set of wheels and tires. :(

I will try and check all the bolts related to the steering rack and see if any thing is just loose per Chudson's advise.

- - - Updated - - -

Shawn, How do I check if the wheel bearing is bad? Thanks

Last edited:
Hey, I used to have high-speed steering shake. I finally found the problem and it was my front spacers that was causing the steering shake. I got the H&R stud hub and shake was gone. Good luck

My 91 was having a noise when turning the steering wheel in both directions for quite sometime. The noise got worst over the years so I have replaced both inner and outer tie rods, installed the steering knock bush recently. Unfortunately it didn't solve the noise issue. I acquired a used steering rack from Shawn and had it replaced a couple weeks ago. Steering problem was solved instantly! Drove the car for a test drive and the car felt it was shaking due to the steering wheel vibration. This is after the alignment was already done - so it must be the wheel balancing so I did the wheel balancing and the vibration was still there although it felt less than before at speed up to 35-45mph.

I drove the car 70 miles to home and at 60-70mph the steering vibration was worst. I need to hold the steering wheel with both hands since it feels the car was shaking. The next day I took it to a 4 wheel alignment shop and test drove the car in the freeway -no luck! :(

I'm thinking it could be that the steering rack needs to be adjusted particularly the guide rod? Thank for the help in advance.

Silly question, but are the lugs tight? It won't be the first time that has happened.
Gary

Ooh, that reminds me of another possibility. Do u have aftermarket wheels and are they Hubcentric? Just removing the wheels by itself and reinstalling if not Hubcentric can cause vibration like an out of balance condition.

thank you guys for your time helping me out. you guys are the best!

follow up please....you have some folks still trying to help

follow up please....you have some folks still trying to help

Hey guys sorry for the late reply. So here's what I did to resolve the vibration issue.

-First I verified and made sure that tie rods/axle has no play. Lift the car and wiggle the wheels left and right.
-Unistalled Non compliance front clamps since I feel that the vibrations are being transferred to the steering wheel due to stiffer setup. I test drove the car and this point and the vibration was significantly reduced.
-Rebalanced the front wheels and confirm wheels has no flat spots. I had to this 3x with 3 different shops - sucks i know. Made sure that lugs are properly torque to specs. Test drove the car again up to 3 digits - vibration was completely gone.
The bad thing was I already bought a new set of wheel set and tires.

- - - Updated - - -

I really appreciate all your help guys. Thank you!!

Thanks..I have the compliance clamps as well and steering wheel vibration is a common and annoying problem.I have found the best way to reduce it is to have the wheel/tires road force balanced not just spun balanced.

I purchased my nsx a little over 3 years ago. And it always had a vibration at mid to high speeds. I re-balanced the wheels, no luck. Replaced inner and outer tie rods, nope still there. Purchased another brand new set of wheels and brake rotors- still vibrated. I have have the sos compliance clamp installed but never thought that would effect vibration at speed.

So after after a couple thousand dollars spents on wheels, brakes, alignments and balancing and still having this annoying vibration i finally said whats $200 dollars on buying and replacing both front timken wheel bearings. (Only $200 for parts because i replaced them myself, A shop press is required to replace)
i can finally say that the vibration is gone and my nsx is driving better than ever. If your nsx has or has had heavy aftermarket wheels, high mileage or if you live in a city with sub standard quality roads your wheel bearings could be bad..

It sounds like this is fixed. But for future reference, vibrations like that are associated with the wheels/tires in 90+ percent of cases, I would guess. After trying balancing the wheels/tires, the very next thing I would do, on a car with a steering wheel vibration at high speed, is find another local owner whose NSX has no such vibration, swap the wheels/tires between the cars, and give it a test drive. That will narrow down the problem to the wheels/tires, or to the car.

What were the old tires?
I went through the same thing
changed driveshaft
alignment
wheel balancing
then, it was the old tires.. i swapped out the rims/tires, and vibration was gone..
I had goodyear tires, made it badyear tires for me.
will never buy goodyear tires again!!

Back