• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Steve Jobs live from WWDC 2010 -The New Iphone 4

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/...w.engadget.com/2010/06/07/iphone-4-announced/

apple-wwdc-2010-147-rm-eng.jpg

Apple has unveiled its new iPhone 4 after a couple wild, unprecedented months of leaks. Sure, it looks exactly like we expected it to (Steve compares it to an old Leica camera), with a glass front and back, but it's what's on the inside that counts, kids. The stainless steel band that goes around the phone is an antenna system, while also providing the main structure of the phone, though it's plugged into the same old GSM / UMTS radio you all know and love -- there's a reason they didn't call it the iPhone 4G. There's also of course that front facing camera we were all anticipating, and a new high resolution display that doubles the pixels in each direction (960 x 640) for a 4X overall pixel count increase -- Apple calls it a "Retina Display." It's rated at 326ppi, which Apple claims is beyond the human eye's limit of distinction. Check out an example of the new screen up against the iPhone 3G after the break. Developing...

Last edited:
Just about everything I wanted from it except no Verizon iPhone! :mad:

Yes, that would have been nice for us Verizon customers. Since the phone does not support CDMA, I would say we are at least a year away from Verizon.

Zynga is now developing for iOS? If that doesn't drive iPhone/iPod/iPad sales through the roof, nothing will. :)

I am just waiting for the word on how it won't charge with my existing accessories, or work with my existing ipod interface in my cars.
Cross your fingers, Apple didn't change this again.

after receiving the email indicating my ipad has now been shipped, i followed the launch this morning. the phone looked very cool (i especially liked the dual camera approach) - it'll be interesting to see it up close and personal.

there are soooooooooo many things going on / changing in devices / connectivity these days... each month seems to bring some new form of "who knew?" to the masses. i also believe android's entry and major acceptance by many markets will continue to accelerate the rate of improvements / introductions by all vendors.

very cool.

Yes, that would have been nice for us Verizon customers. Since the phone does not support CDMA, I would say we are at least a year away from Verizon.

The Verizon thing was not gonna happen, for two reasons, and I've been saying it for quite some time. First, Verizon is moving to LTE just like AT&T and T-mobile and the rest of the world. I don't think Apple will be making a CDMA backwards compatible LTE iPhone. In contrast, Sprint is going about it on their own with their version of 4G so I don't see them getting the iPhone at all.

The second reason is that 5 year exclusivity contract Apple signed with AT&T. We're only 3 yrs in into that contract, which is up in Jun/Jul 2012. Unless they some how work out a new deal with AT&T, I don't see them losing exclusivity, so don't hold your breath and don't believe the rumors until Apple announces something officially.

On a related note, this new iPhone 4 is a quadband GSM/HSDPA device, which means it'll work with T-mobile's 3G??

I am just waiting for the word on how it won't charge with my existing accessories, or work with my existing ipod interface in my cars.
Cross your fingers, Apple didn't change this again.

Apple announced that they would be abandoning Firewire charging on their devices way before they actually did so. It's the industry that didn't adjust accordingly. Early accessories made before the announcement obviously wouldn't work, but most accessory makers stuck with the FW method.

So relax, the new iPhone will work with your existing accessories that already work with the 3G/3GS.

Correction, T-Mobile 3G Bands are 1700/2100. So no, we won't get 3G on T-Mobile.. unless I missed something else.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/iphone-4-vs-evo-4g-fight/

I am anxious to see if anyone can tell a difference on such a small screen from 800x400 vs 960x600.

The EVO 4G seems like it may be the better phone.

I have the Evo 4g. I think that the android 2.2 will be available soon. I have no complaints about the Evo 4g. Im in austin and the 4G is fast. I feel the EVo is just a s good if not better than the iphone 4, feature wise.

Last edited:
I have the Evo 4g. I think that the android 2.2 will be available soon. I have no complaints about the Evo 4g. Im in austin and the 4G is fast. I feel the EVo is just a s good if not better than the iphone 4, feature wise.
Hardly the case, video chat on the EVO is choppy and slow. iPhone 4 now has the same features as the EVO.

Hardly the case, video chat on the EVO is choppy and slow. iPhone 4 now has the same features as the EVO.

Not exactly. The iPhone4 can only currently do Video chat over Wifi. Why do you think it isn't on 3g yet?

Not exactly. The iPhone4 can only currently do Video chat over Wifi. Why do you think it isn't on 3g yet?

Correct. The interesting tidbit is that Apple is making their "FaceTime" video call method open source so other devices from other makes and PC's as well will most likely be able to interface with it.

I think what I like is the very elegant engineering decisions that go into the new iphone. For example:

The Evo makes distinct tradeoffs in shorter battery life and large physical size in order to give a larger screen. Definitely easier on the eyes and impressive looking, but the resolution is the same as other Android phones, which means it has lower pixel density. The iPhone went with the same size screen but better pixel density than first gen laser printers (which were 300dpi), made the actual body of the phone smaller, and the battery life is better than before, not worse. I'd rather have the battery life than a fatter bulge in my pocket.

The metal frame on the outside form the antenna arrays. I'm betting those "seams" that people were ridiculing as bad design are actually forming insulated segments so that each section is sized to be tuned to different frequencies. That is a really, really, elegant solution to antenna packaging that I have not seen elsewhere. This is the kind of engineering that makes us love our NSXes!

On the camera sensor, they went with quality, NOT quantity. Bigger backlit cmos sensor, which is exactly what modern point and shoot cameras brag about to provide better low light performance. (Of course, cell phone sized.) Megapixels are irrelevant when so many cell phone pics are taken in dark restaurants and parties. Better to improve light sensitivity, which is what they did.

I was really impressed at the HTC Incredible and wondered if Apple had something that would keep up. This thing has zero plastic on the outside. It's all glass and metal. I'm glad they have kept up their engineering elegance.

As an aside for the materials science guys, Aluminosilicate glass sounds cool:

Aluminosilicate glass (in which some alumina, Al²O³, replaces silica) is another thermal-shock-resisting glass similar to borosilicate but able to withstand higher operating temperatures. These glasses also resist chemical attack and are good electrical insulators. Aluminosilicate glasses are suited for high-performance applications such as high-temperature thermometers, space-vehicle windows, and ignition tubes. Coated with an electrically conductive film, they are used as resistors in critical electronic circuitry. Aluminosilicates cost about three times more than borosilicates and are appreciably more difficult to fabricate.

Last edited:
That is essentially conceding that the Evo is now equal to the iPhone.

thank you.

I'm hearing that you can insure iphones with your homeowners policy. i know state farm and travelers for sure. The details were $6.50 for every $100 insured, with a $30 minimum, for the entire year. This is probably better than any insurance plan I've ever had on a cell phone.

Last edited:
I think what I like is the very elegant engineering decisions that go into the new iphone. For example:

On the camera sensor, they went with quality, NOT quantity. Bigger backlit cmos sensor, which is exactly what modern point and shoot cameras brag about to provide better low light performance. (Of course, cell phone sized.) Megapixels are irrelevant when so many cell phone pics are taken in dark restaurants and parties. Better to improve light sensitivity, which is what they did.

I was really impressed at the HTC Incredible and wondered if Apple had something that would keep up. This thing has zero plastic on the outside. It's all glass and metal. I'm glad they have kept up their engineering elegance.

You say, why do you need 8mp camera's when so many are used in low light parties and such. I'm like who cares about all the stainless and metal on an iphone when it will probably be in a case.:biggrin: As elegant as the new iphone will be, if you drop it.................. :biggrin:

After downloading a bunch of apps and using the wi-fi and 4g most of the day, its usage is exactly what i expected it to be. Since its a first gen phone feature packed i knew the battery life would be less than my previous blackberry curve. The first gen iphone battery sucked as well. Luckily HTC has an bigger battery that can be purchased for $50 bucks. Im saying that its not stellar, but not horrible. its what i expected it to be.

Last edited:
Back