• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stiff Clutch Pedal...Again : (

I've actually posted about this issue before. My NSX experience started 4 years ago with a '91 fitted with an RPS clutch. The pedal pressure was unbelievably hard. I was told it was just the nature of that clutch. After about 10K miles, I put on an OEM. The pedal feel was very light, like it's supposed to be, but after a couple of weeks, got much heavier than my friends NSX's with other OEM clutches. So I changed the clutch master and slave. Initially it felt great, but after about a week it was stiff again. I was then told that the throwout bearing probably wasn't greased correctly, so I had the clutch fork and throwout bearing lubed, which made it better...for about a week, then back to being stiff. So I just had a Science of Speed Sport clutch installed and specifically told them to make sure everything was well lubed with the high temp Honda Urea grease. As usual, I drove away with barely any pressure needed to depress the clutch. Now after a few weeks, it's stiffened up much more than it should be. The heavy clutch pedal causes me to keep it depressed more than I should, which is shortening the life of each of these clutches. What's the deal? All I can think is that the fluid is not right. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mine was just recently installed with a new OEM clutch, same situation.
It was hard to depress, this was what i expected though being that it is new.
So I decided it's time to break it in. Took it out around the local streets & the loops, riding the clutch at 6k, 8k, occasional redline etc during launch & while driving. 2 days later, clutch pedal feels just about right, not too stiff like before.
Try that & keep playing/breaking it in & if that don't work you got me.

Not likely the culprit, but did you replace the slave hose also. It's a one in a million shot but I've seen the brake caliper hose collapes inside causing them to "not" release the caliper pressure. It's just a thought. Slave hose can work the same way making it hard for fluid to pass through.

op did you find out what was wrong with it?

Nope. It doesn't seem quite as bad now. Maybe I'm just getting used to it. Next time we have an NSX meet, I'm gonna compare pedal pressure to another owner's car that has the same clutch.

Back