• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stolen!!!

Got home from Vegas on Sunday to find both of my garage doors wide open... :mad:

Somebody must have know that we were gone, and must have known where the keys were because that's all they took. Our house wasn't ransacked, but they dug through all of our drawers and looked through everything looking for the keys! They tried to take the NSX but thank god I had put on an aftermarket DETACHABLE steering wheel! Before we left I cranked the wheel towards the wall the pulled the steering wheel off and hid it in the house. When we got back the NSX was backed up against the wall (not even a scratch on it though), with the key in the ignition and a pair of MY Vice grips on the steering column. They must just figured it was too much work... Anyway, NSX is fine, no scratches, or dings. But, they did get my wifes 2007 SL550R! The keys were all together, so I'm guessing the Benz was the easiest (and most expensive) to take. All other keys are accounted for though, so I don't need to worry about getting it re-keyed! I'm just surprised they only took the MB and didn't try for anything else! I had a NAv system in my truck, and a brand new Nav system (DDX-8019) in the NSX. :confused:

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1357.jpg

07' Mercedes SL550R Lorinser Edition White/tan (only 5 sold in CA). Paper plates, no other distinguishing marks... :redface:

IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

Last edited:
Man that really sucks, makes you want to get brinks like I have or setup your own security cameras out front hidden, its not a costly procedure. I hope they find who did this and as you said thank god you hid the steering wheel.

Looking at the neighborhood your in it doesn't appear like you would have many thefts in that area, did any of the neighbors see ANYTHING?

Brutal. I think that Im going to undo my steering wheel for the winter. The 6 foot high snowback immediately on the other side of my garage from my NSX also helps.

Good luck. Paper plates. Wow, that is a new car.

Bastages. Theyll get theirs.

I am sorry to hear that. :frown:

Hopefully, you will be able to resolve this soon and painlessly.

Glad to hear that everything else was fine.

Yep. Happens in the best of areas...mostly because there is so little crime that nobody pays attention to anything (except leaf blowers...boy oh boy!).

Fortunately, you'll get all the value back on the SL less deductible.

Since they were only going for the cars and had the discipline to stick with the plan: these were a couple of pro's. Their directed approach to the keys sounds like they had a lot of inside knowledge.

I'm gonna guess your car is already on the dock and will be finding a new home country in a few weeks.

Question: what workers have you had over lately?

I've just set up a multi-camera DVR, 2 month recording at a high frame rate with battery backup. I'm even going to put cameras inside covering the common areas...that way if something happens inside or out: I'll have a fighting chance of figuring out who did it. Well worth the $2K for the peace of mind.

Sorry to hear what happened, but glad they didn't get the NSX. I have never heard of that sort of thing happening around here. Time for a security system...I have a system and its monitored...hope I never need it.

I was in Vegas over the weekend also.

$35 a month get BRINKS, they also have specials where the equipment and everything is installed for free... if that happened and you had BRINKS they would have left as soon as they got inside or the garage door open, or any door open. Just a thought, it's only $35 a month (in my area) anyway. From the looks of the vehicles you have and all the expensive items you have laying around the house, its worth it for sure.

Plus with BRINKS you get a discount on home owners insurance, so it pretty much evens out...

$35 a month get BRINKS, they also have specials where the equipment and everything is installed for free... if that happened and you had BRINKS they would have left as soon as they got inside or the garage door open, or any door open. Just a thought, it's only $35 a month (in my area) anyway. From the looks of the vehicles you have and all the expensive items you have laying around the house, its worth it for sure.

Plus with BRINKS you get a discount on home owners insurance, so it pretty much evens out...

+1

I hate hearing stuff like this!!!!!

I'll go one better.. I use a product from Motorola. For about $100-$200 one time purchase, depending on paranoia, you can set up a product called “HOMESIGHT
I have a video sent to my cell phone or computer anytime someone comes up to my Garage or front door.
Here’s an example of the e-mail.

Event : Schedule 'Garage Door Open' Triggered
Device :Drive
Date/Time :Thu Dec 13 21:38:54 CST 2007

You can go nuts and add devices for about $35 each that tell you if you have a water leak, temp too hot or cold, motion in the house etc.. etc.. I travel a lot and it’s great to go on the internet and “take a look” at each corner of the house. EVEN if you have a monitored alarm, like Brinks, they’ll probably be gone by the time the cops get there. This way you have a detailed video of who, how, what and when.

I LOVE it.. if you want more details and examples of video, let me know and I’ll send you some stuff that will put a big smile on a victims face..

ACD

Thanks

So sorry to hear. That's such a nice car. Glad not much else got hit, especially the NSX.

No one vouching for LoJack? My sedan came with it installed, but I never activated it. I have a video security system, but only to monitor outside the house. If anyone gets in they can easily destroy or steal the recorder. In some ways it's good having retired nosy neighbors sitting on their porch all day.

Fortunately, you'll get all the value back on the SL less deductible.

Question: what workers have you had over lately?

I've just set up a multi-camera DVR, 2 month recording at a high frame rate with battery backup.

Yeah, should be no prob getting the money back on the SL. I actually had to argue with my insurance company to cover the wheels/body kit as STOCK items (not aftermarket) because that's how I bought the vehicle from the dealer.

Only workers I've had over recently was DirecTV to switch out my HD DVR's and Dish, but he never went into the garage.

I had been thinking of getting the same multi-camera set up, but when we decided to move I scrapped the idea (not too much worry about that in WI)

Sorry to hear what happened, but glad they didn't get the NSX. I have never heard of that sort of thing happening around here. Time for a security system...I have a system and its monitored...hope I never need it.

I was in Vegas over the weekend also.

There is a TON of auto thefts in Corona/Riverside area, but never where they enter your house. 99% are stolen rom your driveway with a punch and a screwdriver.

I live in a nice neighborhood and NEVER have to worry about anything like this. We leave our front door unlocked at all times, even when we're gone. The only time we lock it is when we are gone for prolonged periods of time.

No one vouching for LoJack? My sedan came with it installed, but I never activated it. I have a video security system, but only to monitor outside the house. If anyone gets in they can easily destroy or steal the recorder. In some ways it's good having retired nosy neighbors sitting on their porch all day.

I've never had LoJack, but I have Guardian Angel on my truck. It's the same as LoJack but you only pay a one time installation fee ($299?), with no recurring monthly fee. It also acts as an alarm, you can track your vehicle online, you can disable the vehicle online, it will send you a message (email or text) if the alarm goes off or if the vehicle moves, and it will notify if the vehicle goes above a designated speed (for the kids cars). :biggrin:

Brinks is shit, even worse than ADP.

Their proprietary alarm systems are only compatible with their own monitoring center, so you cannot change monitoring providers without ripping out the system and putting a brand new replacement system in.

Install your own alarm system, and get a provider like uControl, which does triple redundant communication - telephone, high speed internet, and cellular/wireless.

www.ucontrol.com

Don't waste your money on Brinks!

Am truly sorry to here that. But I have to say if it was going to happen be happy it happened this way. Last February I was held at gunpoint while two guys toke my phone and BMW. Thay even had the nerve to ask me how to drive my BMW M3 away. I still to this very day have a fear of what could have happened. In a mall parking lot for two guys to stand tall with a gun to my head tells me thay had no fear or worries of taking my life.

Now a days home invasion robberies or up and the chance of you or your wife being followed home is likely. Teach yourself and your family to watch for cars following or look around before walking over to your car in ANY parking lot. I live in a nice area as well and had the same false since of security that many have until it happens to me.

Its just a car don’t try to fight for it give it up, your life is much more valuable especially to your family.

This situation will move you to take some precautions that you may have felt before you didn’t need. Good luck and Happy Motoring.

Last edited:
that sucks bob. sorry for the loss but it could have been waaaay worse.
i figure they were helping you move...:rolleyes:

now you can get yer gal a real nice car.

That's horrible. Probably a dumb question, but is there any type of OnStar-like system that is included with the car? Even if your not subscribed could the police still use it to track the vehicle?

I live in a nice neighborhood and NEVER have to worry about anything like this. We leave our front door unlocked at all times, even when we're gone. The only time we lock it is when we are gone for prolonged periods of time.

really sorry to hear this :frown: people need to learn how to work for what they want/need.

i hope everything works out for you, and it isn't too much trouble to sort everything out.

as far as leaving your door unlocked, though- i could never do that :eek: esp with those gems in the garage. it's just not worth it.

That sucks that someone may have known. Nowadays you have to be careful what you tell people, sometimes even friends.:frown:

I hate people who are too lazy to work hard to get what they want, and just ended up stealing other people's things. What kind of sense of accomplishment do you get from that? Sorry to hear about the lose, thank god for insurance.

It is a shock to have your home invaded for sure.The security systems of today with dvr cameras and remote pc anywhere access are nice features.They have instant on motion detection and can page you.BTW years ago one of our own NE owners had his nsx taken out of his garrage.

Am truly sorry to here that. But I have to say if it was going to happen be happy it happened this way. Last February I was held at gunpoint while two guys toke my phone and BMW. Thay even had the nerve to ask me how to drive my BMW M3.

Stories like this scare the hell out of me. That's why I carry a .45.

I have been putting off updating my Alarm system to include the big Garage door and motion S. inside.

I will get right on it.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

Back