• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stoptech ST10 parking brake / emergency brake revised instructions

For your information:

Stoptech recently changed the design of the ST10 caliper to include a bushing that adapts the factory cable end to the ST10 caliper. This design does not use the factory retainer clip any longer (the cable is held in place by the tension of the caliper's spring). However, the instructions still refer to the old design which instructs you to install the factory clip. In addition, it still instructs you to install the old bushing (part no 40.920.0005).

Please disregard these two steps.

Install as shown below (thanks to Chris J in Australia for the photos). In addition, it should be noted that the parking brake cable length must be adjusted by releasing length at the adjuster located under the center glove box.

I have requested Stoptech update the installation instructions.

regards,
-- Chris

Attachments

• Stoptech.jpg
    Stoptech.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,239
Hi Chris, it should also be noted that anyone whos thinking of running stoptechs/ E-brake option on their factory '02 rims will need to machine 3/16 off the top of their E-brake caliper. Maybe stop tech can provide this service for us.

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris, it should also be noted that anyone whos thinking of running stoptechs/ E-brake option on their factory '02 rims will need to machine 3/16 off the top of their E-brake caliper. Maybe stop tech can provide this service for us.

Thanks

Chris

REALLY? I just bought a set of these and have 02 wheels.

my stoptech e brake has never worked :frown:

Ouch. I'm planning to use 02+ rims on my stoptechs when they arrive. Hope this is not the case

Discussed beofre :wink:

They redesigned it around April 2009 because three of us made sure they knew something was wrong - their supplier was not providing pieces within specs. Stoptech stepped up to the plate, sent an engineer, looked at three of our sets installed, tinkered with other replacement parts, tested, and then went back and resdigned it and sent new ones for free. That is service.

Last edited:
Hrant, 15 rear? SOS website calls for 15 front and 25 rear. I just made another post in the track section.

I think the BBK I just bought from Ravi is probably an older one, he said he's had it in his attic for a year... so I guess mine is not the problem-free design? when did this tech come out and take a look? I did a search under stoptech, I didn't see a previous thread on this.

He came and worked at Shad's shop around April of 2009.

And yes I know SOS says 25 mm :wink:........ they are perfectly fine with 15 mm with my wheels and H&R spacers (with longer studs).

Last edited:
Forgot you could do that, haven't done that in about 10 years after I started a car w/ it in gear, let go of the clutch & the car lunged forward & hit the car in front of me lol

You should not just rely on the e-brake, the car sould always be in gear when parked.

Thanks

Chris

We did not need to do this on the set we installed with 2002+ wheels. Can you profie some more detail, such as a photo?

thanks,
-- Chris

They are probably not installed properly. A common error is not ratcheting the caliper's piston into place as described by the manual. If you do not do this, the caliper will not work properly and not "grip" the rotor with enough force. You may want to check this.

-- Chris

And yes I know SOS says 25 mm :wink:........ they are perfectly fine with 15 mm with my wheels and H&R spacers (with longer studs).

We prefer 15 front 25 rear because it "looks" the best, and is easier to install in the rear. However, 15/15 would also work fine.

-- Chris

We did not need to do this on the set we installed with 2002+ wheels. Can you profie some more detail, such as a photo?

thanks,
-- Chris
Hi chris. i took some pics but they didnt turn out well so i will take some in the sunlight and see how these ones come out.

As for why this happened i have no clue. its a straight forward install, as you know.

Maybe the rear spindles are different to the 02 and up nsx? i would think not but cant say for sure.

it didnt bother me that i had to make clearance for the caliper but it was a PITA.

Maybe you can shed some light as to why they interfered with the inner portion of the rim.

Hi chris. i took some pics but they didnt turn out well so i will take some in the sunlight and see how these ones come out.

As for why this happened i have no clue. its a straight forward install, as you know.

Maybe the rear spindles are different to the 02 and up nsx? i would think not but cant say for sure.

it didnt bother me that i had to make clearance for the caliper but it was a PITA.

Maybe you can shed some light as to why they interfered with the inner portion of the rim.

What spacers did you use with the brakes?

hi Chris - thank you for this info. I am really confused about this since the set we installed cleared with quite a bit of room and everything in regards to the caliper and the way it mounts is the same between the years. Perhaps the caliper has changed? Would you mind taking a photo when you get a chance of where the clearance issue is?

take care,
-- Chris

Argh! I have this problem too!!! Just wrapped up my install and noticed that the parking brake calipers catch the RIM's barrel. There is NO clearance at all and the wheel wont spin.

Aluminumdream, I think your right that there is a slight difference between the pre and post 2002 models. I'm using the recommended 25mm spacers with OEM 17" rims. I figure I'll have to grind off 2-3 MM of the parking brake caliper but will not go this route.

IMG_1319.JPG

IMG_1318.JPG

IMG_1315.JPG

Chris, as detailed in my report emailed to you a few weeks back I also had to grind 2 - 3 mm off my e-brake calipers to clear the inside of my 17" Rays CE28N.

I also decided to replace the two bolts that hold the ebrake on with custom made equivalents, but with a hex head instead of the 6mm allen key. The allen key was hard to access for torquing and removal, and one of them started to strip out. This is partly due the proximity of the sway bar end / links. I did not want to remove these every time I needed to access the brake discs.

Last edited:
Chris, as detailed in my report emailed to you a few weeks back I also had to grind 2 - 3 mm off my e-brake calipers to clear the inside of my 17" Rays CE28N.

I also decided to replace the two bolts that hold the ebrake on with custom made equivalents, but with a hex head instead of the 6mm allen key. The allen key was hard to access for torquing and removal, and one of them started to strip out. This is partly due the proximity of the sway bar end / links. I did not want to remove these every time I needed to access the brake discs.

I had great luck with a 6mm allen socket and a 3" extension. I was able to tighten and torque the bolts down with ease. Here's a link to the set I use:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM3170000202P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=L1

I think with a good set of allen sockets this should not be a problem.

that's pretty much same as the allen key set I have but I couldn't get my torque wrench in there, with or without extensions. For me the $40 for 4 new custom bolts was worth it.

Back