• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Straight Pipe

Hi, I am pretty new to Nsx Prime and Have questions to ask if anyone knows:I have 2004 NSX with exhaust but thinking about Straight Pipe. What do you think? Can it be done?
http://www.gt-rom.net/gtrom/index.htm

I have 2004 Silver NSX CTSC w/Straight Pipe and got my first Dyno today.... check it out:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
dynothomas4wm.jpg

14138HPIM0011-thumb.jpg

14138HPIM0004-thumb.jpg

14138HPIM0003-thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Bob Kenney said:
Anything can be done; but why stright pipes?

Bob

Because we all know that the fastest way between two points is a straight line! :biggrin:

nsxnitro said:
Hi, I am pretty new to Nsx Prime and Have questions to ask if anyone knows:I have 2004 NSX with exhaust but thinking about Straight Pipe. What do you think? Can it be done?

Of course you can do it! SOS sells them.:smile:

04 NSX's have to worry about OBDII.

nsxnitro said:
:I have 2004 NSX with exhaust but thinking about Straight Pipe. What do you think? Can it be done?

Of course it can be done, its easy. So far as the exhaust piping from the headers back, I'd reccomend to simply have a set custom fabricated locally in whatever design you fancy. Most any competent race exhaust shop can put together a high quality mandrell bent set using any material you want for near a third of the cost of the advertised JDM ones you're looking at on gt-rom.. which frankly are pretty much a waste of money IMO. Most are for NA1 anyway. You can then use the materials/coating you want, be assured of the best fit with your OE valance or diffuser, set it up with custom tips / turn-down pipes if needed, or even have them put in flanges to easily swap in a canister... there's really not a lot to it, and that way in the end you get exactly what you want.

nsxnitro said:
thanks, where do you get o2 sensor fouler at???

Shucks. They are known as spark plug anti-foulers. They simply re-position the sensor out farther from the test pipe- so as to inhibit fouling and moderate the reading being the general premise. You'll need the 18mm long ones or you'll find yourself spending your evening hollowing the short ones out with a drill press and dremel tool. The cost is about $8 or so per pair.

In practice on your late model NSX you likely won't need them to avoid a check engine light as with the S2K it is more problematic, however at near $200 a pop it is also very cheap insurance for your OE 02 sensors and I would reccomend them with either a set of test pipes and a street exhaust or a straight pipe configuration depending on your bung.

Last edited:
Consider the downsides before doing this:

1. It will add to air pollution (which you may not care about) and will make your car's exhaust smell really bad.

2. It is illegal in most locations (which you may not care about unless you get caught).

3. It won't add any significant performance to your car unless you have heavy mods and/or forced induction.

nsxtasy said:
It will add to air pollution (which you may not care about) and will make your car's exhaust smell really bad.

I don't know, I actually prefer the smell of the test pipes, particularly with the smell of burnt brake pad dust in the air. It makes my days more manageable.

In fact, I was recently aghast to find the new cologne by "Tonino Lamborghini" didn't incorporate these elements. Very disappointed. :frown:

i was glad to see this post, I recently discovered a bad cat converter on my 2000 FI NSX and was gonna do away with the cats atleast the set that is bad. Will it be that much louder getting rid of the one set?

John@Microsoft said:
I don't know, I actually prefer the smell of the test pipes, particularly with the smell of burnt brake pad dust in the air. It makes my days more manageable.

In fact, I was recently aghast to find the new cologne by "Tonino Lamborghini" didn't incorporate these elements. Very disappointed. :frown:
I don't think he wants "test pipes." From what I gathered, he is talking about replacing everything from the headers back (read: cats and mufflers) with strait pipes.

John@Microsoft said:

I agree, nothing is better than the first time back at the track in spring and smelling race gas and brake pads! :wink:

I will have to work on a colonge! I think I will call it "Heel & Toe"

redshift said:
I don't think he wants "test pipes." From what I gathered, he is talking about replacing everything from the headers back (read: cats and mufflers) with strait pipes.

Same configuration I run- straight pipe. It is the action of deleting the CAT that gives the prominent smell and causes black particulates to be always coated all over the rear bumper.

The exhaust canister (muffler) is foremost designed to muffle the sound of the engine to acceptable levels. With either test pipes and a street exhaust, or a set of straight pipes from the header back the smell will be about the same.

RP Motorsports said:
I agree, nothing is better than the first time back at the track in spring and smelling race gas and brake pads!

I will have to work on a colonge! I think I will call it "Heel & Toe

Heel & Toe by R&P - I like it. Maybe you can get Danica
Patrick to help you market it. :)

SNDSOUL said:
The NSX is VERY LOUD, like Obnoxious loud, with straight pipes. Dont waste your time, you will gain nothing for your efforts except for pissing your neighbors off royally.

Depends on the exhaust you have (if he's just talking about replacing cats). One man's obnoxious is another mans music. With my HKS exhaust, it's loud, but not obnoxious. Per a discussion in another thread, with the JGTC exhaust, it's beyond obnoxious :). Listening to the JGTC clips on SoS, my HKS w/o cats sounds like the JGTC with cats. Obviously I cant compare SPL levels, but it sure sounds similar.

BTW, of course no cats adds pollution, but my 91 without cats still passes MA emissions (which I believe are the same as CA) - granted sometimes it takes a few tries, but the NSX without cats is still much cleaner than many many other cars out there.

Not to mention that US vehicle emissions make up such a tiny percentage of US and global pollution that it's ridiculous how much emphasis is placed on it. Environmental and govt groups make it out to be the worst problem we face as far as pollution contribution.

robr said:
Depends on the exhaust you have (if he's just talking about replacing cats). One man's obnoxious is another mans music. With my HKS exhaust, it's loud, but not obnoxious. Per a discussion in another thread, with the JGTC exhaust, it's beyond obnoxious :). Listening to the JGTC clips on SoS, my HKS w/o cats sounds like the JGTC with cats. Obviously I cant compare SPL levels, but it sure sounds similar.

BTW, of course no cats adds pollution, but my 91 without cats still passes MA emissions (which I believe are the same as CA) - granted sometimes it takes a few tries, but the NSX without cats is still much cleaner than many many other cars out there.

Not to mention that US vehicle emissions make up such a tiny percentage of US and global pollution that it's ridiculous how much emphasis is placed on it. Environmental and govt groups make it out to be the worst problem we face as far as pollution contribution.

I don't know about you, but I grew up in Southern California in the 70s and 80s, and we had really bad smog, and it sucked. A blanket of haze would be visible across the playground, and it hurt to breathe. They would keep the students indoors and cancel P.E. classes. Now, a few decades later, smog is just not nearly the problem it used to be, and for that, I'm thankful. I am a car enthusiast (and I have a race car with no pollution controls whatsoever), but I LIKE the pollution controls placed on industry, including the auto industry. Look at the current state of the market, with the Carrera GTs and F430s and Z06's, and the auto industry has thrived in spite of it all, thanks to technology.

I'm not saying I'm against pollution control, I'm absolutely for it. All I'm saying is that vehicles contribute a small percentage of pollution. I think it was on this board I posted a break down a couple of years back on cars vs. airlines vs. industry.

robr said:

I was talking about true straight pipes,ie. no mufflers, no cats. If hes just talking about taking out just the cats, go for it... who needs those:wink:
I havent used cats for years on my car, but I dont have emissions to worry about here either.

John@Microsoft said:
Of course it can be done, its easy. So far as the exhaust piping from the headers back, I'd reccomend to simply have a set custom fabricated locally in whatever design you fancy. Most any competent race exhaust shop can put together a high quality mandrell bent set using any material you want for near a third of the cost of the advertised JDM ones you're looking at on gt-rom.. which frankly are pretty much a waste of money IMO. Most are for NA1 anyway. You can then use the materials/coating you want, be assured of the best fit with your OE valance or diffuser, set it up with custom tips / turn-down pipes if needed, or even have them put in flanges to easily swap in a canister... there's really not a lot to it, and that way in the end you get exactly what you want.

Shucks. They are known as spark plug anti-foulers. They simply re-position the sensor out farther from the test pipe- so as to inhibit fouling and moderate the reading being the general premise. You'll need the 18mm long ones or you'll find yourself spending your evening hollowing the short ones out with a drill press and dremel tool. The cost is about $8 or so per pair.

In practice on your late model NSX you likely won't need them to avoid a check engine light as with the S2K it is more problematic, however at near $200 a pop it is also very cheap insurance for your OE 02 sensors and I would reccomend them with either a set of test pipes and a street exhaust or a straight pipe configuration depending on your bung.
Thanks to all NSX'ers

I just ordered straight pipe from SOS and I should have it by tomorrow, as to O2 sensor i'll try 18mm as you stated.. hope that would work right but Im sure it will tho

If it really works Im ready to put AEM with 9.5 psi n bigger fuel pump and that would give me GOOD 420hp off the wheel =) cant wait... I'll keep you posted

thanks again John

Back