• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Strange Problem

Hi Guys,

It's been awhile since I had my stereo upgrades done. The system operated perfectly until last week. I have:

Eclipse AVN5500
Alpine PDX4.15 (behind driver's seat)
Diamond speakers

Problem:
The music/DVD/GPS work fine when the car is idle/stationary. However, when the car starts to move, the music cuts out and back after a period of time, then cuts out again. Sound is the only thing that's cutting off. The video, display are available.

What might be the problem? My mechanic suggested to look into the gound connections. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:
Problem:
The music/DVD/GPS work fine when the car is idle/stationary. However, when the car starts to move, the music cuts out and back after a few seconds, then cuts out again.

What might be the problem? My mechanic suggested to look into the gound connections. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Sounds like maybe the head unit has gone bad? Some of the Navi units have a Hybrid Sensor (Gyro & G-Force) intergrated into the safety cut out circuit so maybe its gone bad, or part of the circuitry is malfunctioning?

Similar problem I ran into a few years ago, sound use to cut out after driving for a while bumpy roads, movement. My amp is in the back trunk which gets so hot back there being heated by the exhaust over time it created a few cold solder points on the circuit board. I just cracked it open and re-soldered/touched up pretty much the entire board problem fixed for a couple years, then the 2nd amp started acting up so I have it to my cousin to resolder this time... LOL

If all else fails just do some basic stereo troubleshooting... make sure supply voltage isn't fluctuating to low possible bad battery or cell or low alternator output which will also under power the deck/amps etc? Look for bad grounds in the system, make sure RCA connections are solid, look for shorts at the speakers to ground or bad connections, look to see that the rear of the deck connections haven't come loose or gone bad... etc

Hope this helps, nothing more aggravating trying to find a needle in a haystack sometimes, especially if the problem is intermittent...

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

It's been awhile since I had my stereo upgrades done. The system operated perfectly until last week. I have:

Eclipse AVN5500
Alpine PDX4.15
Diamond speakers

Problem:
The music/DVD/GPS work fine when the car is idle/stationary. However, when the car starts to move, the music cuts out and back after a few seconds, then cuts out again.

Thanks

Does the SOUND only cut off....or does the entire radio DISPLAY shut off? That makes a big difference because those are 2 different problems!

Does the SOUND only cut off....or does the entire radio DISPLAY shut off? That makes a big difference because those are 2 different problems!

The only thing that's cutting off is the sound. Video/display are all okay. I looked around and couldn't find anything wrong with the stereo setup. All the connections seem okay. The matter got worse, the sounds would cut off even when the car is not moving. This occurs when I crank up the volume to high.

My mechanic installed a device for me. The device tapped into ignition power so the device only gets power when the ignition is turned on. Could this have something do with what I am experiencing? I know that the stereo system worked flawlessly before the new device's installed.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back