• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stupid Black Wheel Question:

Stupid black wheel question to those who have them: Is the satin-mat finish wheels easier to maintain than the gloss finish? It never fails, a damn cat will piss on my rims or something and leave a stain on my polished wheels. I am considering powdercoating them black and was curious how black wheels hold up....I guess you could wax a gloss black rim vs the satin? thanks for any replies.....:smile:

Brent I would suggest before committing to black, spray plastdip on them and see if that color grows on you. This way if your not into them, you can easily remove it. My gunmetal RS's were glossy but showed dirt/brake dust quite easily. I did enjoy waxing them though. I finally went with silver though.

Anybody else? maybe someone with black wheels? I would think satin-mat finish would be easier to keep maintained

my wheels are gloss black barrels and satin faced. i plan to apply some wax coating for stains and water beading. I have non of the worries you do about staining and cat piss but i plan to put some sort of wax or sealant on them. i wiped the wheels throughly when drying and i didnt see water spots.

Thats it? all of the black wheel owners and no more responses? geez

Satin or gloss finish?

I have satin black Work XD-9s and they look great. You will not notice scratches as much compared to a gloss black and they look better when in the sunlight because you will not notice swirl marks if there are any. Keep in mind there are alot of different shades of black. Flat black has no luster so make sure you get a satin/semi gloss black(they will emit a bit of shine). Cleaning wise they stay fairly clean from regular driving. As for plastidip; the stuff will give you an idea of what it will look like but plastidip is a nightmare to keep clean and I would only do it if you are in a jam as wheel re-finishers despise the stuff when you go to have them stripped and painted properly.

- - - Updated - - -

1397582_10153381911420381_9745704_o.jpg
458676_10152200548695381_302600178_o.jpg

I agree that Satin Black looks better overall as they are more forgiving to imperfections and dust than a glossy finish.

PlastiDip is a great way to try out the look, and if you apply 5-7 coats it will peel right off when / if the need arises.

We've had Satin Black wheels on both our NSX's (see below) in the past.

Brian

I have the OZ Ultraleggera wheels on my car and was getting crazy because of the brakedust the Hawk pads gave me.
Simply could not keep the wheels clean and shiny for more than a few miles.

So, recently, I had the wheels cleand and powdercoated in a dark color. Just got my NSX back and still have to get used to the wheels, but mostly I get positive comments on them. And at least I don't spot the brakedust immediately anymore.
Here is a quick peek of the car when it was still in the works.

NSX-Wheels1.JPG

^^ that looks good

I think I'm going dark also on these stockers just for the hell of it.

Going to try for an almost Military, dark charcoal, satin powdercoat finish.

This way the more thrashed they get, the better they'll look :biggrin:

IMO.....The subtle white highlights, really adds alot to it

Attachments

• Blk 6b.jpg
    Blk 6b.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 92
  • BR2.jpg
    BR2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 51
  • BR1.jpg
    BR1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Mine were powder coated black and don't get me wrong love the look but would never do again 98% of the time there dirty and dusty

Mine were powder coated black and don't get me wrong love the look but would never do again 98% of the time there dirty and dusty

Any pictures of your wheel setup?:cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone else have photos of their wheel setup? Like to see how they look....Also any opinions on colored rivets on 3 piece wheels? Thinking gold rivets on black wheels......

Back