• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stupid jerk rearended me

Luckily it was at a very low speed.
biggrin.gif

Only problem, my rear bumper now has a crack in it with the paint around it cracked as well.

How much will a new rear bumper cost me? I'd like to get an already painted one off of a salvage or something.

Edit: my NSX is black

[This message has been edited by nsx808 (edited 29 October 2001).]

The rear bumper cover retails for just under $1000. Depending on the angle and strength of the impact you may also need a few hundred dollars worth of brackets, bars, impact absorbers (styrofoam), etc.

I hope you got his insurance information.

bumper shells are hard to find on the used market. It may be a good idea to look, but to also contact one of the discount OEM Acura suppliers.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

I'd like to get an already painted one off of a salvage or something.

Why don't you get a new one and have it repaired properly? His insurance is paying for it, right?

Let me reiterate something:

It was a VERY low speed contact. In fact, I didn't even notice it until I got home. I thought I felt a slight vibration in the car while I was stopped in traffic, but didnt think twice about it. They must've just nudged me... but enough to crack the bumper.

I doubt it did any damage past the crack.

How much would it cost to be painted?

I'm thinking it shouldn't be much since it's plastic.

It might make sense to try to get one used and then just repaint it if it's not in the best condition.

i don't care if an old lady in a wheel chair hit my car the first thing i'm going to do is check my car!!!!! let this be an expensive lesson. if shopping properly you'll gat everything done and painted for under $900-

Whoa!! Give the man a brake (no pun intended).

If the impact is as averred, then the bumper is at fault, NOT the driver.

If the bumper is cracked, a lasting repair will be difficult to achieve.

Originally posted by nsxman:
If the impact is as averred, then the bumper is at fault, NOT the driver.

I feel bad about the bumper and everything, but it's still the driver in the OTHER car that hit the $900 bumper.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

OK, so I suppose you go outside of your car amid traffic to randomly check your bumper?
rolleyes.gif

I actually thought it was the engine or something it was so light. Or maybe that I had let up on the clutch and not noticed.

In fact, I overreacted when I first looked at it.

Closer inspection has revealed that it is only the paint that is cracked... the bumper is fine.

How much to paint this would you say?

[This message has been edited by nsx808 (edited 30 October 2001).]

Originally posted by NSXtypeR:
hey! you live in CT. well so do i. thats cool. please take me for a ride in the nsx hehe.

*lol* Me too. I work in Danbury which isn't far from Brookfield
wink.gif

I've seen a black NSX on 84 east, wonder if it was you?

[This message has been edited by nd4spd (edited 03 November 2001).]

Yeah, that's gotta be me. I go on that route semi-regularly, and I have never in my life seen a black around here. There's another 95 purple in Brookfield owned by the owner of Sounds Incredible.

Originally posted by nsx808:
OK, so I suppose you go outside of your car amid traffic to randomly check your bumper?
rolleyes.gif

yes, if I can see someone that close to me and I think there was the possibility that I was hit I would absolutely get out and look. I'm not faulting you for not doing it, especially since I was not there, but the way you described it I would have gotten out.

Closer inspection has revealed that it is only the paint that is cracked... the bumper is fine.

How much to paint this would you say?

I had Acura and a friend in the business give me an estimate on painting my nose and hood on my red '95, and both were right at $575, which included removing the parts, painting, reinstalling, and an extra buffing.

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

[This message has been edited by ncdogdoc (edited 12 November 2001).]

[This message has been edited by ncdogdoc (edited 12 November 2001).]

NSX808:

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. I recommend you contact your local NSX Chapter to get information on who can and cannot repaint your NSX.

I have never been hit from the rear but do the following at stoplights (or anywhere else there is a potential for a stike from the rear):

Leave a good cars length between you and and the car in front or intersection.

Do not take your eyes off cars approaching from the rear. That is your foot is ready to engage at any time and roll/fly forward. Note: Do not sit with the clutch engaged as it will wear the shaft bearing over time.

I know this sounds easy to do, but it is a must to avoid drivers like you have encountered.

Again, sorry to hear your story.

97 Red/Blk-T

Originally posted by nsx808:
Yeah, that's gotta be me. I go on that route semi-regularly, and I have never in my life seen a black around here. There's another 95 purple in Brookfield owned by the owner of Sounds Incredible.

You got car your car from Imports Unlimited in Wallingford, didn't you?

http://www.luxurycars.com/cgi-bin/imports1/ap000113?3gzEXrNe;;9

I was seriously considering buying it myself
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by nd4spd (edited 14 November 2001).]

Back