• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stupidest comments ever heard by NSX owner

Originally posted by Robw:
My barber asked my if I still had my Trans Am and I replied no and pointed to my NSX.

He replies "Nice Prelude"

He wasn't the shapest knife (scissor) in the drawer.

You sure you still trust him to cut your hair?

Originally posted by maomaonsx:
This is not a bad one. but it's great.

A fellow student walks passes me in the parking lot and says, "that's a sick car. Wolf from Pulp Fictions drives a silver one!"

made my day.

Neuman aka "The Cleaner" drives a lovely blue NSX. Plus he is a better driver than The Wolf. Neuman drifts the car around the corner. This part is so great, I don't know why it was cut.
My favorite comment from a car full of young men and women. " Nice car! Are you a doctor?"

I was enjoying everyones stories, though having only owned my 91 for 2 months had none of my own, then yesterday a guy at work came up and ask me if that was my car in the parking lot, nice car, is it fast, ect. Complementing me, talking like he knew cars, then as we got into a more technical discussion of the atributes of the NSX, he started to look confused and said "when did they stop making the bodies out of fiberglass"?.... yup, guess I bought me one of those new vettes.

I don't care what anyone thinks it is as long as I'm the one who gets to drive it.

Talking to a girl the other day and she said, yea that a nice car, it cost like 25 grand right! ouch!

On my way from Chicago to Montreal, one of my gas stops was at a small town between Tornoto and Montreal.... When I went in to pay the guy at the cash register said " Is that a Ferrari?" Before I could respond... his buddy sitting next to him looked outside and said "No that's a Fiero stupid!"

Heh, ok, have to add a few of my own here...

1) The ever popular gas station: I go in to pay the guy at the cash register looks out at the pump and says, "Pump 7 is ready, but you can just give me the keys"...so I laugh and he then says "Nah, nevermind, I never liked Corvettes much anyways" ! He did redeem himself slightly when I said "Uh, it's not a Vette" and he replies "Oh, is that an NSX? In that case, I will take those keys". Bah.

2) Guy rides with me and says, "Damn, this is a really nice car, I bet these go for near $20K new, huh?" Hooboy.

3) "I can't believe you would pay so much for one of those Italian cars, they are all hype" ... not sure what to make of that one ... haha.

I can agree with the above comment though, the compliments outweigh the ignorance by a wide margin.

My favorite comment thus far:

"Oh man, that is the greatest car ever made, would it be ok if I just went over there and looked at it? I think the NSX is the most complete sports car a person could have"

Comments like that make me want to let them drive it -

THIS IS HONESTLY THE DUMBEST THING ANYONE AS SAID AND THIS IS TRUE!

I was at the park and a guy came up to me and started asking questions about the X. I got the usual is it fast, was it expensive, Acura is made by Honda right, is the backseat really small?? Backseat? I said no the motor is back behind the glass. He then asked if it was FRONT WHEEL DRIVE! I said yea they put the motor behind the driver and passenger and routed all the power back up front! I'm TOTALLY NOT KIDDING EITHER! I was like, are you serious???? He then said well aren't most Hondas front wheel drive??? I then said "does it look like most Hondas"?

I've never had anyone ask if the car was only 20 grand everyone thinks its 50K at least.

[This message has been edited by PUREVIL (edited 13 January 2001).]

This is SOMEWHAT of an odd question, but how do you guys respond to these sort of comments? Do you just ignore them? Correct them? How do you go about it? I'd like to hear from some of the "wiser(older)" members of this forum, I'm going to guess that some of us young hotshots probably say things we shouldnt, when we ought to just keep our mouths shut and smile.
I suppose I'm sort of looking for a "Exotic car owner Conduct" in this particular type of situation. After all, we dont want to say something terribly asinine or unbecoming of an NSX owner.

I am as polite (and patient) as I can be under the circumstances. I used to get irritated, but what good is that? Getting frustrated just generates bad karma and give the impression NSX owners are jerks. All in all, I'd rather leave that reputation to the Corvette people. ; )

I get pretty defensive when I'm in my cars. People make a lot of assumptions about me that I find frustrating:

1. I'm showing off my money.
2. I think I'm better than them.
3. I'm driving my Dad's car.
4. I'm spoiled.
5. I bought the car for attention.

I actually cherish driving an anonymous car when I get the chance--no parking worries, no staring.

I like fast cars that look like art to me, but they come at a heavy price.

**By the way, the worst comment I heard was at state emissions testing, where I was told they didn't have the equipment to test a 4 wheel drive car.

------------------
Red (w/ red top) '91. Comptech Supercharger. RM headers. Comptech exhaust. Short ratio gears. Ring and pinion swap. RM racing suspension. 18/17 wheels/tires.

'98 Viper GTS. Red with no stripes. Stock.

[This message has been edited by multisync23 (edited 15 January 2001).]

Edo, what in your book qualifies as "older"? I'm just 35 so I'm only a kid, but then again I'm 35 so I'm way over the hill...
smile.gif

I'm usually polite, what would I tell the blonde, that it's OK because it has titanium valves? The S2000 a*hole that it is better because it has 2 more cylinders? (although I did offer him a drive around the block so he could see by himself...)

And just yesterday I decided to be a friendly guy and ride with 3 of my employees in one of their car to lunch - as we start chatting about cars, a GS-300 screams by, and they say wow, nice car. I say its an overpriced sedan. After about 60 seconds of them three laughing, one manages to catch his breath and say "overpriced? and you are the one with the NSX?" This followed by a conversation about the new Viper, and at least one of them genuinely surprised that the NSX really only has 6 cylinders. But then again the Maxima we were riding in also has 6 cylinders, so what is the point?
Arrggghhh!!

Oh well, I still get to drive the NSX home and windex off the handprints from the gawkers every week...
wink.gif

P.s.: Hey MultiSync, enjoying the Viper? How is the transition between the two cars?

how do you guys respond to these sort of comments? Do you just ignore them? Correct them?

Here's the question you've got to ask yourself: Why do you have an NSX - because you enjoy driving it, or because you care what other people think of you?

I drive mine to enjoy it. I don't care what other people say. If their comments only display their ignorance, well, shame on them, and it's not worth responding. If OTOH they show genuine curiosity, then I politely answer them if they seem to be trying to find out more.

Originally posted by rquintero:

Edo, what in your book qualifies as "older"? I'm just 35 so I'm only a kid, but then again I'm 35 so I'm way over the hill...
smile.gif

If you're older then I'm an elder... :p

Originally posted by nsxtasy:

Why do you have an NSX - because you enjoy driving it, or because you care what other people think of you?

I drive mine to enjoy it....

Ditto. Don't care what other people think because my NSX is my boat or cabin or RV or whatever other people do for enjoyment. Personally I don't get ask too many questions but I to get a lot of hand prints. Lately I've been keeping glass cleaner and quick detailer in the trunk. Today I had 2 elder elders
biggrin.gif
wave to me and give me thumbs up.

So the general consensus is just to let it slide. I suppose that is the best policy. For all of you that asked, older meant "older than me" or wiser for that matter. Many of you have owned MANY cars, some of them far more high profile than an NSX, and it helps to get an idea as to how to conduct oneself in this sort of situation.

Having owned my NSX almost a year now, the negative comments don't bother me as much as when I first got my NSX. I've either grown numb to the comments, or I've grown more mature when it comes to cars.

I still get more "compliments" from the jaw-dropping looks, finger pointings, neck-snapping stares, and smiles from the opposite sex than the negative-comments. All in all, I guess that's a good thing, eh? =)

I can't imagine how different things would be if I was driving a corvette or a viper instead. I'm sure my perspective on cars would be very different. Being 5'6", for some reason, the NSX seems to have been made specially for me. As they say, "Fits like a glove".

Back