• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Subwofer Set-up

Since there's been so much talk about stereos
lately here's my question.
Has anyone put a subwoofer box in to the trunk of the NSX. I would guess because of the engine coming in between the sub and the cockpit the sound would be baffled. What about if I'm only after the low (shaking)bass. Would that set-up still give you a decent amount of bass. If that won't work how about mounting a single 8" behind the driver and passenger seats. Or the last place would be putting a bass tube in place of the spare tire. (I don't like the idea of putting a larger sub in the passenger side floor area would'nt the bass be uneven sounding.

Any comments or pics hopefully?

On a car like the NSX, where the interior compartment is relatively airtight and not connected acoustically to the areas under the hood or trunk lid, I would think it doesn't make any sense to put a speaker anywhere outside of the passenger compartment.

bass is for the most part non directional though you can still get some sense of where it's coming from, not only that, but in an audio system, what you want to try to do is reproduce the atmosphere of a live performance, where the music is coming from in front of you rather than from behind. there aren't too many cars that have room for a sub in front of the passengers. the nsx already having space for a sub in the footwell is a huge plus. stick with that location. select the right driver and a custom made box takes up no more room than the stock box, remains hidden and out of the way and ... it's not behind you. frankly if all you're looking for is vibrations, just get some of those cheezy bass-shakers and mount them under your seats.

The "best" place is the passenger footwell. You can try behind the seats but you are going to end up losing a lot of room.

A sub under the front hood or in the trunk that is not running into the cabin is pointless. "baffled" is an understatement. At best it will cause stuff to rattle and sound like someone in the next car has a subwoofer cranked up.

I have seen one mounted in place of the spare tire, but you have to cut a hole in the front firewall so you can port it into the cabin. A real hatchet job IMO and the sound isn't going to be as good either.

Just for S&G I put the box I had in my vette in the trunk of the X. Stayed in long enough for me to turn the radio on and off. Single 12 inch, pushed by 400 watts. Took up most of the space, the trunk rattled like it was about to fall off, and with the motor running (in the garage) I could not hear it at all. So, like they say, totally pointless. I don't really have any problems as far as balance from my tube, but I do have it aimed at the hump in the middle of the car.

The footwell is the best place to put the sub. If you can find one Illusion Audio makes a sub with magnet mounted on the front instead of the back. A 10" speaker needs a 3" mounting depth.
ImageServer.psp

Thanks for the info, I think I'll give Craig Hardy a call and see if he can build me a box like FURYNSX's.

I find this somewhat interesting so I thought I'd share....

I've been working on upgrading the sound system in my NSX and was careful about what I chose for equipment. One of my primary goals was not to lose any room in the car, while still installing all the gear into the cabin itself.

The largest problem is finding a decent subwoofer that doesn't require a lot of enclosure volume (not too hard to find) but also has a very shallow mounting depth (almost non-existant). The #1 driver for this has always been a sub by Illusion Audio, which unfortunately are no longer sold in the US. However I found one on ebay.

So, Illusion says the ideal sealed enclosure volume for this 10" sub is 0.8 cu ft. Doesn't sound like much, and as far as speaker enclosures go, it's not, but that volume is equivalent to six gallons of liquid. That sounds like a LOT more, and certainly much more volume than the original stock enclosure. Great.

So, for the past week while I've been waiting for the sub to arrive, I've been trying to come up with different ideas while keeping it simple (ie, no fiberglass). For the hell of it last night, I threw the ND10 driver parameters into an enclosure design program and was pretty surprised at what I saw.

illusionbox.jpg

The second graph shows frequency response based on a box with the ideal 0.8 cu ft volume. Not great but not bad. As it's a sub, we're going to use a crossover with about an 80 Hz cutoff, so already this box is rolling off from that point, but the slope isn't bad (and generally a car interior will provide some compensation for that). At 30Hz we're only 10dB down.

Now if anything went and I could use any driver in the world, it would not be this one, but for what this speaker's requirements are, it's a really good choice. Well made, minimal space impact, really decent sound quality, and freq. response is pretty decent.

So, back to six gallons of milk..... for the hell of it, I decide to fill up the stock enclosure with water to figure out the volume. It's around 0.1 cu ft... tiny! I throw it into my program........ huh???

The freq response is very very similar even in this tiny enclosure space! Ok so we're down 10dB at 25 Hz instead of 20, small price to pay. Down to 50Hz, they are identical.

So while it's not yet complete, I've taken the back of the stock enclosure, cut off the raised plastic protrusions so the top is flat, taken 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF and cut to shape, mounted the sub to the MDF and the MDF to the stock plastic enclosure. Now I just need to get some sort of filler to fill in the small holes left because the driver was just a tad too large to fit within the back of the plastic piece.

The big test comes soon... listening! But it looks damned good on paper and will lose virtually no leg room and will use stock mounting screws and points.

[This message has been edited by robr (edited 19 July 2002).]

Originally posted by robr:
The largest problem is finding a decent subwoofer that doesn't require a lot of enclosure volume (not too hard to find) but also has a very shallow mounting depth (almost non-existant). The #1 driver for this has always been a sub by Illusion Audio, which unfortunately are no longer sold in the US. However I found one on ebay.

Where are you mounting an amp for it?

Why didn't you just wrap the stock box in aluminum foil and lay fiberglass around it? It's what I did and it seamed to work fine. I have yet to measure my volume.

Mine holds 1-1/2 gallons whats my specs.

[This message has been edited by nsxxtreme (edited 19 July 2002).]

i hate working with fiberglass, im useless at it... but i did come up with yet another idea that will avoid any filler at all. ill take pics before i assemble it... hopefully this weekend (if my fiance doesnt make other plans for me.... over and above the stupid horse show tomorrow.... i guess she figured i must like horses what with all my talk about horsepower and what not).

Lud, im getting an error when i try to post this, it says ive exceeded the maximum number of pictures and the max is 8. i had 8, so dropped it to 7, same error... ill drop more off.

ok, prepare for some SCARY pics... its UGLY, but it should work and you'll get the idea if you want to make a prettier version, go for it
smile.gif

heres all the parts lined up
subboximg_0047a.jpg

i took the stock bottom of the sub enclosure, and cut off all the protrustions so the surface was flat (except for the two large squares in the corners, youll need to plug one hole in the bottom center)

subboximg_0049.jpg

then stack up the wood pieces

subboximg_0050.jpg

http://www.nema.com/nsx/caraudio/nsx/subboximg_0051.jpg
http://www.nema.com/nsx/caraudio/nsx/subboximg_0052.jpg

subboximg_0053.jpg

subboximg_0054.jpg

obviously i still need to plug up some holes and put a metal grate over the top to protect the sub, wire up the sub, then we see how well it fits in the car..... that will probably happen monday or tuesday.

If you are cutting a circle in MDF you need a RotoZip and the circle cutter thing. I have made many speaker boxes and anything eles is a waste of time and effort.

Just a little hint from your MEAN Uncle Dave.

Keeping it creative, I like that.
smile.gif

Dave

[This message has been edited by DDozier (edited 21 July 2002).]

i used the tools i had available, namely a jigsaw and a drill, rather than having to go buy something custom and specialized that id use once.

My only two concerns with your box are air leaks and resonance.

The sub you are putting in your box can handle a lot more power than the stock one. This means that it can move more air. If you don't seal the box properly, you will lose a lot of your bottom end and the attack. Thats one reason to use fiberglass with filler and caulk.

Secondly, and I think a bigger problem, is the plastic piece you are using for one of the sides of the box. Any installer will recommend that you use 3/4 inch medium density or high density particle board or fiber board. This is to prevent the box's internals from flexing or rattling.

Both of these things should drastically effect your sound quality. These are theories though, so let us know how the box sounds when you get it in.

actually i may be starting from scratch, a quick test without the speaker shows its pretty tight...... with the speaker i dont think its going to fit. too fat at the top. a small box from scratch may be the way to go.

I have personally installed at least 50 NSX subwoofer systems. The sub that I found to work best for sound quality and high performance is the Nakamichi 10 inch. I have them on sale for $139. A fiberglass enclosure is really the only way to get appreciable performance out of your system. There is no shortcut.

If anyone needs a deal on amps, speakers, subs etc for car or home, I carry just about everything worthwhile.

Feel free to call (813)882-8477 for advise or deals.

ok scratch all the above stuff, im back to the drawing board. building a box completely out of wood from scratch now
smile.gif

man id kill for table tools, its impossible to cut straight with handheld circular and jig saws
smile.gif
. my box would be done by now if the top was flat, but now i have to cut and sand it until the other piece of wood fits flush. arrrgh!!!!!

ok, box 2 is a failure. this time i made a box which is about 11"x11"x3.5" (for a driver that is 10x10x3) and it doesnt fit. the top half of the box is too fat. i can see how a box would need to be made to fit here, but its not going to be wood, i guess fiberglass is the only answer, which sucks because i havent seen a solution for less than $300-400 for just the enclosure
frown.gif
. i guess ill just see if my minibox fits behind the driver seat for now until i have the $$$ to have it done right
frown.gif

the box does indeed fit behind the driver seat. i had a 1" lip on the front which i had intended to put screws thru for the stock location, but the lip tucks nicely behind the roll bar bottom crossbar and once again industrial strength velcro should work nicely. not the solution i was looking for but it doesnt protrude much past the bar. pics later (after the paint dries).

'Andy Buzz
I'm looking at going with an aftermarket setup in my 92 NSX. Do you own a shop or work at one or something?
Email me if you can and I will fill you in on the details of the system I'm thinking of doing.
'[email protected]'
Thank's in advance
Maybe can send some pics of prior systems you have installed also would be helpful.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

My shop is in Tampa Florida. It has three divisions. Buzz-Off Auto Alarm Systems; established 1982 specializing in truly effective security systems and high end car audio. Feel free to visit www.buzz-off.com

Sun-Off Tint uses a computerized plotter to cut the tint templates. Yes, it does the NSX perfect and of course the back window in one piece. Installs are performed in our air-conditioned electrostatically filtered room by experts.

Maximum Home Entertainment offers a wide selection of home theatre products as well as many related products to home entertainment such as Home Theatre seating, Tec Infra-Red BBQ grills, outdoor speakers, and Vitamix two horsepower blenders for the smoothest daquiris.

Feel free to call (813)882-8477 with anything you need.

andy buzz,
Did you compete in IASCA, Your shop name sounds familar. We competed for a couple of years and had a couple of cars take 1st place at world finals, probably the best known car we did was the "skeep" which was the car that we converted to a back seat driver. Our store name is Custom Audio Concepts and Kirk Perry is the one that competed with the "skeep" That car put us in 186 magazines which was pretty cool, stopped competing so we could run a buisness instead of playing with the hobby (kinda of miss it). I have not tore apart my nsx yet, but the my installers have been wanting to gut it, I have to hide the keys from them.
Lynn Whitaker

Back