• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Suggestion on places to go things to do in San Diego and LA

OK so I am thinking about taking a trip with a girl I am dating out to California, her brother lives in Corona Del Mar (interestingly enough he owns an NSX...small world).

Anyway we were talking about going out there on Oct 15th and coming back on the 25th. I have never been to this part of California, only to San Francisco. We were thinking about taking some time to go to San Diego and maybe a weekend in LA as well.

We both like doing things outdoors, doing cultural things...even some tourist stuff is OK. Also like going out at night to bars and clubs, 30+ kind of crowd.

Can someone give me some suggestions on places to go? Is there anything I really need to do if I am out in those places. Open to all suggestions.

Also if someone can recommend a central area to stay in both LA and San Diego that would be great...big fan of parking a car and being able to either walk to places or cab.

Thanks,

Carl

If you can spare an early Saturday morning, I would suggest visiting the Irvine PAG Cars and Coffee. Thre's usually a contingent of local NSX's there too. Also very close to Corona Del mar is South Coast Plaza; If you and your girlfriend are into shopping, it's a very fun outing.

Our "It's a Small World" rocks all over your Orlando's setup :biggrin: Nah, sure you don't want to go to Disney. Touristy things my friend's enjoyed were:

Drive around Hollywood to check out the freaks..maybe visit Mann's/Grauman's Chinese theater, check out the Hollywood walk of fame.

Think baseball playoffs are on if you guys are into that..both Angels & Dodgers should be in it.

Drive around Beverly Hills to check out the big mansions/Melrose Ave.

3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica then drive up along PCH through Malibu..can stop at the Getty museum.

Not sure if you guy's have "Yard House"-over 200 beers on tap w/ surprisingly very good food...a few in Orange County.

Lots of great asian foods out here if you are into that. Have fun.

Jeff

While you are in San Diego I would suggest you visit

1. La Jolla Cove
2. Pacific Beach
3. Seaport Village
4. Horton Plaza
5. Downtown Gas Lamp District

No shortage of things to do in SoCal. Just depends what you feel up to.

Beaches: Huntington Beach has a good scene; Venice near West LA, and Malibu is up past Santa Monica if you want to check that out as well.
In San Diego, Balboa Park/Mission Beach are cool spots.

Nightclubs/Bars: There are a few in OC that are worth checking out in Newport/Costa Mesa area. I like the Santa Monica (Main St) scene, or go to Sunset Blvd or Hollywood Blvd at night if you want to as well. But plan ahead.
In San Diego: Gaslamp in downtown is great, especially on Saturday nights, if you want to bar-hop or hit up a club. Stingaree and Envy are pretty live and wild. Also Pacific Beach is great if you want a more casual, but fun, bar-hopping experience.

Don't even know where to begin actually, there's way too much in the area, thats not even the tip of the iceberg. :) Just let us know what you're in to.

While you are in San Diego I would suggest you visit

1. La Jolla Cove
2. Pacific Beach
3. Seaport Village
4. Horton Plaza
5. Downtown Gas Lamp District

+11111

Coronado is nice chill spot also. It's across from Seaport Village.

San Diego Zoo
Seaworld
Tons of Museums at balboa park
Mt. soledad

If you club in SD. There are a bunch in downtown SD. Take a walk down the gaslamp district either Friday or Saturday and you will see everyone. But definitely club Envy which is at the Ivy hotel or Stingaree's like Khiladi1020 said.

Last edited:
Well all I can say is that if you've been to San Francisco, you're going to be very disappointed in Southern California.:tongue::wink:

San Diego has many things to offer. I recommend staying in Old Town or the Gaslamp, very central to SD, and especially the Metro Trolley (light rail). Cabrillo National Monument on the tip of Pt Loma, Gaslamp if you want to bar hop. Balboa for the Zoo, or the museums. Hillcrest for the dancing scene. Visit the missions between SD and LA, the original Camino Real. I'm still learning SD, but live central (mission hills) and will buy you and yours a beer or 2 at one of my favorite watering holes.

As for OC, Huntington Beach state beach is great. West Newport Beach is cool as well (by the Santa Ana river), about 3-4 miles up the PCH from Corona Del Mar. South Coast Metro for shopping, The Block at Orange for the open air mall. Ortega highway between San Juan Capistrano and Lake Elsinore.

Miner

Thanks guys these are great suggestions!!! Seems like I might not have enough time...will try my best to squeeze it all in...well minus the baseball...just not a fan.:redface:

I would love to take a drive along the PCH...her brother offered to let me take the NSX...man that's trust...I would love to have my car out there, not sure how comfortable I would feel taking someone elses...nice to have the option though:biggrin:

Is it hard to get into the bars/clubs there, like Miami and LA?

Thanks guys these are great suggestions!!! Seems like I might not have enough time...will try my best to squeeze it all in...well minus the baseball...just not a fan.:redface:

I would love to take a drive along the PCH...her brother offered to let me take the NSX...man that's trust...I would love to have my car out there, not sure how comfortable I would feel taking someone elses...nice to have the option though:biggrin:

Is it hard to get into the bars/clubs there, like Miami and LA?

The PCH in OC (and what there is in SD) is like driving US1. Lots of stop and go, and traffic lights. Ortega Highway is where you want to go (Car and Track one of the top 10 roads to drive). PCH up north of LA is worth it, though.

I'm not a big clubber, so I can't speak as to the lines. Gaslamp has about 4500 (slight exaggeration) places, some better than others so if one place is full (Shawn Merriman and Tila Tequila in a knock down drag out) go next door.

Miner

The PCH in OC (and what there is in SD) is like driving US1. Lots of stop and go, and traffic lights. Ortega Highway is where you want to go (Car and Track one of the top 10 roads to drive). PCH up north of LA is worth it, though.

I'm not a big clubber, so I can't speak as to the lines. Gaslamp has about 4500 (slight exaggeration) places, some better than others so if one place is full (Shawn Merriman and Tila Tequila in a knock down drag out) go next door.

Miner

OK I will try to chec out Ortega Highway. As for the clubs...like some hate others...guess will have to play by ear, good to have 4500 options though:tongue:

still learning SD, but live central (mission hills) and will buy you and yours a beer or 2 at one of my favorite watering holes.

Miner

Just read this. Always up for a new watering hole with good beer. For the suggestion, it would be my pleasure to buy you a beer or two

Right now it's looking like we will be in SD on the 16th and 17th....schedule is getting tight as she wants to go to San Fran as well....

Don't know if you are into craft beer, but SD has some of the best places in the state. There are others in the LA area too. If you would like me to list some let me know, I am kinda beer geeky.

Don't know if you are into craft beer, but SD has some of the best places in the state. There are others in the LA area too. If you would like me to list some let me know, I am kinda beer geeky.

Really like craft and microbrewerys. So any suggestions you have around LA, SD and Corona Del Mar area would be appreciated. Not sure if we will make everything but it's good to have options.

Back