• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Suggestions for San Francisco area

Mick, this isn't the best time of the year for the Napa wine country, but for a similar experience with (IMO) prettier countryside, try a drive through the Alexander Valley. They have similarly great wines but the drive is lush and wonderful.

If you have an extra night, you may want to travel north to Mendocino. It's a great little town out on the edge of nowhere. Get a nice B&B and have an outdoor sauna and a massage. They also have a fun little community theater that puts on first-rate productions.

And of course, there's always a trip to Infineon Raceway (Sears Point), where you can rent a couple shifter karts or take some high performance driving lessons at the Jim Russel Driving School.

And now that I think of it, when are you coming? Wanna swap houses? I have a nice plae in Half Moon bay!

Have a good trip!

Driving down 1 along the coast to Half Moon Bay would be pretty scenic. Also, there's a nice romantic, restaurant/bar just north of Half Moon Bay:
http://www.mossbeachdistillery.com/

Fester (Ken) can probably give you other suggestions in the area.

Thanks for the suggetions! They all sound great. I just wish we were not traveling on such a budget, I guess thats what credit cards are for, huh? :wink:

Well it may not be the best time to see Napa area but anything is better than the beaches, mountains and brake lights I have been looking at here for the past three years. Dont misunderstand, I really enjoy being here, but 3 years on a rock with out a break, is a lot like cabin fever.

I hope to leave today. We are flying out on Space A with the military, so who knows when we will really get there. My plan is to return around the 28th, but once again it all depends on the pilots. (Its free though!)

Want to swap house and cars? Sure! Hope you have ID to get on base. Although if our next base is some where nice that is a good idea.

I'll try to post up once we get there and have settle in.

We finally got in town. Staying with family just on the other (north) side of the bridge. I saw the thread about the cold spell, yea we are freezing.
I told the wife if Jim Russel driving school is affordable I AM doing that.
We are tossing the idea around of renting a car and taking a day (at least) and drive as much of highway 1 as we can.

Hawaii is a beutiful area, but if I had to choose between between N CA or HI, I believe N CA would win out. Just from what we have seen in this short time, I really like it here.

Dcypher said:
Hawaii is a beutiful area, but if I had to choose between between N CA or HI, I believe N CA would win out. Just from what we have seen in this short time, I really like it here.

Hahaha. The grass is always greener, isn't it? Having lived in SF all my life, I've said the same for Hawai'i and would live there in a heartbeat if only I could make the same living I make now.

If you do the rental thing, do it now while the weather is still clear (read fog) and it's still mid-week (crowds and traffic). Enjoy your stay!

I actually thought about driving the NSX out to SF today for just a jaunt around the area. However, at 4am, my 22 month old daughter made a huge mess when she threw up all over her bed. She's feeling MUCH better this morning but I'm the only one who's gonna be cleaning that mess. So I'm thinking about heading out tomorrow morning instead.

Maybe Chopsjazz will have his shocks and springs off cause I was throwing around the idea of buying those from him :biggrin: Then it'll be a well worthwhile trip, lol. Just gotta count my pennies for this EXPENSIVE christmas I've got coming up.......

I am sorry to hear about your daughter.
My aunt works a few days a week, so that leaves us dependent on the bus system. I was thinking that if we dont get a rental car this trip then maybe the first of next week.

On my way in I dropped my camera bag and broke a lens. I am not to upset because I usually buy my camera gear used. Although this is the second lens this year. So yesterday I acutally went down to Best Buy and looked at point and shoot digital camera's (I still shoot film). This maybe the trip that puts me into the digital area.

Last edited:
Well today was a BEAUTIFUL day in San Francisco. Didn't make it all the way into town. But hung out in San Bruno with another Old Flame and had lunch. If you haven't been to it, I HIGHLY recommend "Fook Yuen" (it's real lol) on El Camino Real in Milbrae. You have to go during the lunch time for their dim sum. I had a VERY interesting dish.... Jelly Fish! Tasty! Who woulda figured?

Yesterday we went into the city. We took the #10 bus down from Sausalito to Market St (area) and walked down to the Union Square. Did some shopping, my wife found the 4 story fabric store. Had a late lunch/early dinner at Lefty's, it really hit the spot. We finally made our way back up the bus stop (Market and 7th) around 7pm. My wife was not happy at the area and to be honest I was a little nervous as well. However I did spot a red NSX while waiting for the bus. I now understand why some people say the NSX’s tail lights look out dated; I never realized why until I saw that one last night.

With all the excitement yesterday we stayed close to home today. Tomorrow we have plans to take the ferry into the city and explore pier 39. Thursday we are going up to wine country with my aunt and her friend. The days after that are still in the planning stages. I do not like to plan too much just kick back and enjoy life one day at a time.

Wine country, you're gonna LOVE IT. My two favorite places is "CakeBread Cellars" and "Chandon". Chandon has probably the BEST tour around. The samples are cheap and plentiful. It's neither wine nor champagne though, but rather "sparkling wine". You'll learn the whole story behind it all there. Just one day touring the winerys and you can pretty much consider yourself an expert compared to the average joe, lots of stuff learned.

Okay then, here are my wine favorites:

Darioush on the Silverado Trail. You will be blown away by the building and the wine. If they have any viognier buy as much as you can. They normally have none or a VERY limited supply. IF they are tasting it you will see why it is so limited.

Also go to Rombauer, also on the Silverado trail, but further north near Calistoga, where you can enjoy a nice massage and mud bath.

The Frank Family Vineyard is a little-known (even amongst the locals) and out-of-the-way place with fantastic wines and Champagnes.

Speaking of Champagnes, Schramsberg has an unbelievable Cremant that is beyond description, so I won't try. See if you can get there in time for the tour of their caves!

I don't know what you're looking for shopping-wise, but Union Street (not Union Square) is much less tourist oriented and a lot more hip than Pier 39, which is basically a tourist haven.

Hope this helps, and keep having fun.

Thanks for the tip on Union St. We have been to Union Square and Pier 39. In fact today we walked across the bridge into town, caught the bus to Fort Mason then walked down to Pier 1 to catch the ferry back across. Pier 39 reminded me of home. I grew up in a toursist town (Gatlinburg, TN) and once you seen one tourist trap store you have seen them all.

I am not sure when we will venture into the drunk stupper area (wine country), rumors of rain have gotten the planners second geussing when would be a good time.

Thanks for the tips on wineries. I will try to remember which ones we go to.

dont forget the fort under the golden gate. Maybe you'll catch a splash from a suicidal jumper... jk but its true. There was a documentary done recently. I might go back to the area again saturday.

Three suggestions:

The food market at the Ferry Building (Embarcadero and Market Streets) is very nice.

Also, if you go north across the Golden Gate Bridge, take the first exit after it (Alexander Ave), turn left and go up the hill, there are beautiful views of San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley (my alma matter) and of course the bridge. It's a wonderful view from up there.

Last, for a view of the city from inside the city, check out the top floor lounge area of the Bank of America building (the tallest building in the city). The drinks are good, and reasonably priced for such a place.

Chip

calexand said:
[stuff deleted]

Last, for a view of the city from inside the city, check out the top floor lounge area of the Bank of America building (the tallest building in the city). The drinks are good, and reasonably priced for such a place.

That would probably be the Carnelian Room. The food used to be bad, touristy French fare but they've gotten better over the years and it now can range from fair to good, depending on what you order. The cocktail lounge is where the hipper, younger after-work crowd hangs out. Spectacular view - much better than the Equinox.

Dinan M3 said:
That would probably be the Carnelian Room. The food used to be bad, touristy French fare but they've gotten better over the years and it now can range from fair to good, depending on what you order. The cocktail lounge is where the hipper, younger after-work crowd hangs out. Spectacular view - much better than the Equinox.

Yes, I am referring to the cocktail lounge, not the restaurant (which I have never tried). Thanks for adding the name. Chip

You have to go to the Zoo. I know the weather sucks now but it's a great day for a walk. Also visit Ano Nuevo Beach, you can see all the Elephant Seals there mating (near Pescadero, CA).

Also a trip to the Marin Headlands and visit the lighthouse.

If you like Dim Sum go to Tong Kiang on Geary Blvd.

For Sushi Todai's in Daly City (Buffet).

For French , Boulevard's on Market/Mission.

Take a drive along the scenic 49 miles route through out SF and visit Twin Peaks......

DDankew said:
If you like Dim Sum go to Tong Kiang on Geary Blvd.

I second the recommendation for Ton Kiang for Dim Sum (good suggestion!) and wanted to provide the exact spelling and other info to help out.

Ton Kiang
415/386-8530
5821 Geary Blvd. betw. 22nd & 23rd

Back