• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Suggestions on suspension and wheels

After looking at so many beautiful NSX here on Prime, I think its time to do some mods to my 98 stock NSX-T.
I was thinking on starting with the suspension and wheels, but which should I get first?
Are the KWV3 the best fit? Also, what is the best setup for wheels, 17/18 or 18/19?

I am not looking to track the car, just trying to make it look nice without giving me any trouble like the tires rubbing the car.

Your comments are greatly appreciated, thanks ahead for the advice.

OK, so basically you are looking for an appearance upgrade. I would spend some time looking at other NSX's in the wheels forum. Also, how much are you willing to compromise the quality of your ride and how much do you want to spend? Suspension upgrades can go from lowering springs for less than a couple hundred bucks to $8,000 Moton coilovers. You can get nice one-piece cast rims with good fitment for around a grand or you can drop ten grand on a custom set of forged rims.

If it were me I would do the suspension first, since you have at least the newer style wheels. See how it looks, may seem like a whole new car with just the suspension lowering the ride height while essentially keeping it looking like a nice unmolested nsx. If you are set on purchasing wheels, ive always liked a clean mesh style wheel, I.e. work vsxx, CCW lm20 etc....weight shouldn't really be a a factor since you said you are looking for the look only. If you are looking for lighter performance wheels, then I would stick with VOLK CE28n, ENkei RPF1 and so on.

Or slap on some good lowering springs with the stock struts, or get some KW-V3's or... Hard to know what to recommend until you know the OP's goals and priorities. The random approach to modifications ends up wasting a lot of cash. Ask me how I know this.

After looking at so many beautiful NSX here on Prime, I think its time to do some mods to my 98 stock NSX-T.
I was thinking on starting with the suspension and wheels, but which should I get first?
Are the KWV3 the best fit? Also, what is the best setup for wheels, 17/18 or 18/19?

I am not looking to track the car, just trying to make it look nice without giving me any trouble like the tires rubbing the car.

Your comments are greatly appreciated, thanks ahead for the advice.

Suspension first and wheel second assuming your new suspension will be lower than stock. By going with lower suspension first and not the other way around, the car will look nice even with the smaller stock wheel. KWV3 is a good choice. 18/19 wheels will make the car look "better" but 17/18 is probably the way to go. Plus I think going with 17/18 will give you better tire selection. A quick search will show you there are plenty of threads about this.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Ill be buying KWV3, and then the wheels, 17/18 as suggested. I really don't want any driving issues.
Ill take pictures once im done.

Based on what you posted about your priorities, it seems like the most cost effective mods would be Bilstein struts on the lower perch and a nice set of 17/18 wheels and performance tires.

I would NOT go lowering springs with stock struts, mainly because the stock struts aren't designed for the higher spring rates of lower springs AND most original OEM struts are now getting toward the end of their effective life. By getting the Bilsteins you kill 2 birds with one stone: 1) You replace your old worn out struts 2) you get OEM ride with a slight 7/8" drop.

The KWv3s are an excellent suspension setup, however, they are expensive and kind of a waste if you don't track your car IMO.

For wheels, those are a personal choice. Things to consider are: wheel strength, weight, design and cost. What's your priority?
Also note that wheel width and offset also play a key role in how "flush" the wheel is to the body giving the car a more aggressive "look".

You never mentioned tires. This is a huge deal with the NSX. Be sure to buy tires that fit your driving style. The Original tires on the NSX were equivalent to the Max Performance or Extreme Performance tire category that TireRack.com uses. They provide superb grip at the expense of tire life. I've seen tons of NSXs driving around with much lower performance tires so expect a great performance drop off with those.

listen to what Adrian says, I started off with just Eibach springs on my old shocks and heavier sways with nice new rims that where a bit heavy.
I track my car a lot so my goals are different to yours however in saying that if money is not an issue whether you track the car or not go KW V3's but don't increase the spring rate also get the lightest rims possible and go for AD08's or Dunlop Z11's that way you have sticky tires on lightweight rims with a lighter shock that handles superb.
So if I were to start all over again I would do this, even on the street you notice the weight and driving difference

Thanks for the help everyone.
Ill be buying KWV3, and then the wheels, 17/18 as suggested. I really don't want any driving issues.
Ill take pictures once im done.

I went from Tein RA to KW v3 and love the change, I would compare the KWs ride feel to a BMW M3. I also have 17/18 wheels and with the adjustments of the KW coilovers you can get the perfect look. However, I also have read a lot of good things about the BC coilovers and they are quite a bit cheaper and still have all the adjustability of the KWs, so you may want to look at those too and spend the money you save on the wheels.

Wow, you must have the only NSX in Peru! I agree with the others on choice based on goals and budget. I'm personally running stock springs with Bilsteins and 17/18" Work CR's. Bilstein's also have a lifetime warranty. Make sure to check out the wiki and several related threads on proper tire fitments to ensure you won't rub and so your TCS won't be affected. FWIW, if you go the 17/18" route, 215/40/17 tires in the front and 265/35/18 seems to be the most popular combo.

listen to what Adrian says, I started off with just Eibach springs on my old shocks and heavier sways with nice new rims that where a bit heavy.
I track my car a lot so my goals are different to yours however in saying that if money is not an issue whether you track the car or not go KW V3's but don't increase the spring rate also get the lightest rims possible and go for AD08's or Dunlop Z11's that way you have sticky tires on lightweight rims with a lighter shock that handles superb.
So if I were to start all over again I would do this, even on the street you notice the weight and driving difference
I think that is the way I am headed. KW V3's with 17"/18" Volk CE28N's, AD08 tires & Type R front sway bar. KW V3's have a life time warranty to the original owner and a $150 rebate through the end of April. I plan to use the iLift replacement top hat bushings as well.

Last edited:
BC coilovers with the Swift spring upgrade (10k/8k) ride beautifully and would suffice for most applications. I dont see the need in spending the extra money on KW's unless you're tracking the car.

I dont see the need in spending the extra money on KW's unless you're tracking the car.
Everyone has a different budget and subjective acceptability for 'ride quality'. However the KW V3 is a performance street coilover that is very capable on track (but then again, you can track a stock NSX without any problems) but it's designed to deliver great handling (and yes on track performance) but to improve the ride quality, steering feel, and handling on the street.

I agree with NSXonwheels that the V3s do give the NSX a more modern, tied down feeling that is not harsh and soaks up and damps harsh impacts like a modern BMW or Porsche, while many less expensive and asian coilovers tend to be choppier, harsher riding, etc... It all depends on everyones individual situation, budget, and also where they live. But I would not mistake the V3 for a "track" coilover. Even the clubsport isn't a compromised "track" coilover, although its a bit stiffer and more track focused, they are still very streetable.

This is subjective and relative but to me (in terms of overall characteristics and compromises):

Stock NSX suspension: 100% street : 50% track
Bilstein/lowering springs: 90% street : 55% track
KW V3 coilovers: 85-90% street : 80% track
KW CS coilovers: 75-85% street : 90% track
KW Motorsport: 70-80% street : 100% track

Budget Coilovers: 45-85% street: 50-85% track

Last edited:
I think that is the way I am headed. KW V3's with 17"/18" Volk CE28N's, AD08 tires & Type R front sway bar. KW V3's have a life time warranty to the original owner and a $150 rebate through the end of April. I plan to use the iLift replacement top hat bushings as well.

You certainly will not be unhappy with those choices.

Maybe too late, but I would recommend the following:
1. Bilstein shocks (keep stock springs)
2. NSX-R chassis bars
3. Aftermarket sway bars - CT
4. Wheels + tires
5 Once you are pleased with all of the above and if you feel the need, drop some big bucks on recommended coilovers.

Back