• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Supercharged nsx with pride V2?

I REALLY love the sound of my nsx with the pride V2 and resonated test pipes (and so do by standers). i've considered going supercharged so i could retain this fine exhaust system so i'm wondering if anyone has this setup and if so how the exhaust tone is affected. I was also considering turbocharging but that would involve taking the exhaust out and my power goals dont warrant the need for a turbo...yet. Vids would be great! :smile:

I REALLY love the sound of my nsx with the pride V2 and resonated test pipes (and so do by standers). i've considered going supercharged so i could retain this fine exhaust system so i'm wondering if anyone has this setup and if so how the exhaust tone is affected. I was also considering turbocharging but that would involve taking the exhaust out and my power goals dont warrant the need for a turbo...yet. Vids would be great! :smile:

I love my pride v2, but with the ctsc I don't hear it anymore unless the windows are down. I miss it.

I though about going with a comptech exhaust or something less restrictive since I can hear it anyway.

So basically, you will lose the sound if go with a ctsc, but outside the car my car sounds better than any turbo car i have heard.

I love my pride v2, but with the ctsc I don't hear it anymore unless the windows are down. I miss it.

I though about going with a comptech exhaust or something less restrictive since I can hear it anyway.

So basically, you will lose the sound if go with a ctsc, but outside the car my car sounds better than any turbo car i have heard.

Maybe its something wrong with your ears. I have the Pride V1 and the intercooled SOS supercharger and there is no effect on the sound of the Pride except that it goes through the rpm range really fast (maybe this is why you don't hear it?). With 420rwhp I can go through 1st gear in 2.7 secs --- so its hard to hear the distinctive sound (because its over so fast). But if you are just rolling on the throttle you will hear it and if you in the upper gears and therefore spending more time going in the gear you get to hear it. The tone will be slightly deeper (more volume).

Go to http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNHxsqjR7qclQZq2fUEIAY6SUVt6iA&cad=rja

The pride is a knock off on this exhaust ........ the supercharger compliments it. I was driving on the strip today and if I kept it in 1st gear at 6-7K .... people were breaking their necks to look and see.

As for restriction, stock and almost all aftermarket headers are around 2 inches at the collector end. That is the restriction. Plus I lost 15rwhp when I dynoed with 100 cell cats. If you run any type of cat (supercharged) you can keep the Pride because you have already restricted your flow. Also between the Cantrell exhaust and the Pride V1 I saw only a 5hp difference.

Maybe its something wrong with your ears. I have the Pride V1 and the intercooled SOS supercharger and there is no effect on the sound of the Pride except that it goes through the rpm range really fast (maybe this is why you don't hear it?). With 420rwhp I can go through 1st gear in 2.7 secs --- so its hard to hear the distinctive sound (because its over so fast). But if you are just rolling on the throttle you will hear it and if you in the upper gears and therefore spending more time going in the gear you get to hear it. The tone will be slightly deeper (more volume).

Go to http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNHxsqjR7qclQZq2fUEIAY6SUVt6iA&cad=rja

The pride is a knock off on this exhaust ........ the supercharger compliments it. I was driving on the strip today and if I kept it in 1st gear at 6-7K .... people were breaking their necks to look and see.

As for restriction, stock and almost all aftermarket headers are around 2 inches at the collector end. That is the restriction. Plus I lost 15rwhp when I dynoed with 100 cell cats. If you run any type of cat (supercharged) you can keep the Pride because you have already restricted your flow. Also between the Cantrell exhaust and the Pride V1 I saw only a 5hp difference.

Maybe the sos sc doesn't have a loud blower wine like the comptec but that is ALL I hear now. And no, there is nothing wrong with my ears:rolleyes:

I am not sure what the video you posted proves. I said the car great from the outside, but you dont hear it inside. See here...though windows are down -- You can hear a little motor noise but very little if any exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLRvdMbu-o8&feature=player_embedded#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkkO0jlF0f4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VbYKKB7hW4&feature=related

Last edited:
I think he meant you cant hear the s/c cause i have s/c, headers, test pipes and pride v1 and only way to hear the s/c is with windows up at full boost. Exhaust though is loud as hell.

I think he meant you cant hear the s/c cause i have s/c, headers, test pipes and pride v1 and only way to hear the s/c is with windows up at full boost. Exhaust though is loud as hell.

I don't have test pipes, but yes the exhaust is going to sound a lot louder....but it will smell bad too :biggrin:

I had test pipes on my bbsc car and it was obnoxiously loud.:biggrin:

Last edited:
I have a BBSC, test pipes, na2 headers, and pride v2. I went from a DC exhaust to the pride and it is much louder and but sounds so amazing. Like cptnsx said, If I drive down the street over 5k pretty much every person on both sides of the street are snapping necks to look. The only negative is I wake up my family if I try to go for a drive at night. I have thought about putting the cats back on , just have not had time to do it. I think you will still enjoy the sound just fine if you add a SC, but will be even more happy with the increase in power.

Idk why everyone says it smells like crap. Its not like your face is behind your exhaust. Its not that bad.

Why does it smell bad?

Because you're catalytic converters are no longer taking all of those dirty exhaust fumes and cleaning them up before they exit your tailpipe, what you are smelling is raw hyrdocarbons mostly (unburnt fuel) that exits your exhaust and enters the atmosphere.

Idk why everyone says it smells like crap. Its not like your face is behind your exhaust. Its not that bad.

You ever follow a car with test pipes? I followed two turbo nsx and I had to get away. it was awful.

I didn't notice it that much when I had test pipes. It depends which way the wind blows when you are stopped.

It seems the majority of posts show no gain using test pipes so I see no reason to use them.

Last edited:
I did a quick run here. Windows up. You hear engine and blower wine. Can't hear the pride.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mYWIIwkc-30" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I did a quick run here. Windows up. You hear engine and blower wine. Can't hear the pride.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mYWIIwkc-30" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

if you don't have test pipes the pride exhaust system is very benign. I honestly believe the sounds you get with the pride V2+ resonated testpipes is the way the NSX should have come off the assembly line. i drove mine without test pipes(oem cats installed) for a few days and knew i had to get the pipes. The smell is not bad at all. For some reason test pipes on most turbocharged cars do produce more of the "bad" smells. i've had people in my car and they not notice it much either.

Normally i'm with you on this one Big J but I've followed SFDreamer's car many times and i'll tell you.. it's not pleasant being back there. I really refuse to follow a car with test pipes on a drive event! lol, i'm a wuss I know...

I'm also currently running on a temporary set of HF cats. I start my car in the morning and whenever i'm about to go for a "run" I do a quick walkaround and look under the car etc... I swear within 5 secs of being back there my eyes start to water and I can't take it. It's horrible... Test pipes would be worse.

BTW.. You FI guys.. have you ever tried to dyno your cars w/o the pretzel exhausts (GT 5.1, Pride, Bel Canto, etc...) If it's choking off power on the NAs I'm curious to know how much more you're choking off from the FIs. I guess the sound makes it worth it maybe?

Last edited:
Normally i'm with you on this one Big J but I've followed SFDreamer's car many times and i'll tell you.. it's not pleasant being back there. I really refuse to follow a car with test pipes on a drive event! lol, i'm a wuss I know...

I'm also currently running on a temporary set of HF cats. I start my car in the morning and whenever i'm about to go for a "run" I do a quick walkaround and look under the car etc... I swear within 5 secs of being back there my eyes start to water and I can't take it. It's horrible... Test pipes would be worse.

BTW.. You FI guys.. have you ever tried to dyno your cars w/o the pretzel exhausts (GT 5.1, Pride, Bel Canto, etc...) If it's choking off power on the NAs I'm curious to know how much more you're choking off from the FIs. I guess the sound makes it worth it maybe?

It does not choke off any power. I have dynoed with the Cantrell and the Pride V1. No power difference. Remember the Pride has bypass pipes built in.

On the test pipe smell (on a supercharged car). If you are tuned right like my AEM is to be at 14.7 there is no bad smells at idle or cruise. The Pride is much louder without cats.

It does not choke off any power. I have dynoed with the Cantrell and the Pride V1. No power difference. Remember the Pride has bypass pipes built in.

On the test pipe smell (on a supercharged car). If you are tuned right like my AEM is to be at 14.7 there is no bad smells at idle or cruise. The Pride is much louder without cats.
oh OK. That's interesting. Thx!

Btw...for me personally its not the smell but the potency. Maybe I'm just ultra sensitive to such things.

Last edited:
oh OK. That's interesting. Thx!

Btw...for me personally its not the smell but the potency. Maybe I'm just ultra sensitive to such things.

Steves car doesnt count lol. Mine from behind is bateable, his burns your eyes. Running race gas on meth injection.... My car just doesnt have cats. If i rev mine up, its loud. I reved his today and a black cloud comes out lol.

And the bypass pipes are oriented 90 degrees on the intake side, and 90 degrees on the discharge side. Losses through these junctions are pretty high. Even with the inefficient layout where the main piping enters the muffler, most of the exhaust flow will probably still pass through it. These bypass pipes do flow some exhaust gases, but their primary purpose is to act as tuned herschel-quincke or "trombone-style" resonators. That's why the original designers in Japan who came up with the concept left these reasonably-small in diameter - they didn't need to be big and heavy like the later bel-canto and pride knockoffs.

Oh, the muffler does choke off a tad bit of power compared to a custom comptech header / magnaflow muffler setup, but not much. It only lost 5HP on back-to-back dyno runs:
http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120552
Probably similar to your dyno findings and worthwhile to most for the improvement in sound!

On the test pipe smell (on a supercharged car). If you are tuned right like my AEM is to be at 14.7 there is no bad smells at idle or cruise.

This is a common misconception I hear by a lot of muscle-car folks I hang out with. No matter if your A/F ratio is at the perfect stoichiometric 14.7 ratio, your engine is still putting out HC, CO, O2, and NOx! Slightly changing your A/F ratio slightly off the ideal 14.7 stoichiometric ratio does a few things. Leaner means higher combustion temperatures and more NOx emissions. Richer means more unburnt HC emissions. Leaner/richer also changes the ratio of O2 and CO produced.

The OEM NSX is slightly lean at low RPM's to help the platinum and palladium catalysts more efficiently clean up HC and CO emissions. At higher RPM's, the OEM becomes richer, which besides protecting the engine, helps the rhodium catalyst more efficiently clean up the NOx emissions. The narrow-band on/off OEM O2 sensors work to keep A/F ratio ideal to the OEM cats and their efficiency.

I've been studying this because of my custom exhaust system. Bypassing cats in my loud mode leads to the same smells I get from my uncorked big-block 427ci engine. It's putrid and I feel sorry for the folks behind me in my old age (early 30's). Yes, I care about the environment too, so even in my quiet mode passing through a cat, I'm trying to improve it's efficiency by moving it closer to the exhaust manifolds to get it hotter.

The active exhaust I'll have for my custom twin turbos this Spring should be pretty cool. Once again, through harmonics, even turbos can have a cool exhaust sound too. Like Totes Lovefab car:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5YeATQYZuL4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dave

I've been studying this because of my custom exhaust system. Bypassing cats in my loud mode leads to the same smells I get from my uncorked big-block 427ci engine. It's putrid and I feel sorry for the folks behind me in my old age (early 30's). Yes, I care about the environment too, so even in my quiet mode passing through a cat, I'm trying to improve it's efficiency by moving it closer to the exhaust manifolds to get it hotter.
Dave

Dave,

How does the Z06 and some of the ferrari's do "Loud Mode"? Do they by-pass the cats also?

Dave,

How does the Z06 and some of the ferrari's do "Loud Mode"? Do they by-pass the cats also?

I know the ZO6 does it in the rear muffler post-cat. I actually considered adapting one of their mufflers for use on mine (since they're cheap, quiet/loud, and include the vacuum valve), but each one weighs 26lbs! A used C6 ZO6 cat-back setup with both mufflers and valves can be had for ~$250 on Corvette forums. I even considered getting the C5 ZO6 titanium mufflers and soing the bypass on the Corvette forums but those mufflers are very hard to come by.

Don't know about Ferrari or other exotics, but I'm pretty sure they also do it post-cat. I don't see how the EPA would allow it otherwise!

Dave

What aftermarket exhaust out there that is best for sc/turbo nsx? Which one doesn't "choke" power?

The pretzel-type exhausts should be fine for supercharged vehicles. You're not loosing too much power, especially if you still have OEM manifolds.

For turbos, the "kits" available have their own muffler setups.

Dave

Like Dave said the Zo6 bypass the muffler or at least some of the muffler, the by-pass is simply a straight through pipe in side the muffle, if the baffle is closed the exhaust is forced to move through the muffler and if the baffle is open the exhaust goes straight through, there is still some effect on the exhaust tone and volume as the straight through pipe is perforated inside the muffler chamber.

All manufacturers do this bypass after the cats, the cats are installed as close to the header/manifold collectors as possible, some modern designs have the cats as part of the exhaust manifold as the manufacturers try to get the cats to heat up as fast as possible they keep moving them closer and closer to the exhaust valves where the heat is.

Keep in mind that with the Zo6 and the Ferrari's you are not dealing with a V6, they are V8's or V12's and are larger displacments, all of these things have a very large effect on what you hear at the tail pipe. It is not easy to get a V6 to sound like any other engine. Same issue the Viper guys have with a V10. True duals on a V10 sounds like a loud in-line 5. Not really a great sound, but you add and H-pipe or an X-pipe and you really change the sound of a V10. The same is true for a V6, I designed a X-pipe after my turbos and the note is much better, at least to me.

Dave

Last edited:
Netviper SC has my Comptech. When I had it one my car (92) I ranit with both the JGTC and the GTLW center-exit exhaust and test pipes. The car did run lean at or around 7700. I never hit the rev limiter anyways so no big deal to me. The GTLW was loud as hell. I bought some Radon tech cats and put back on my JGTC and it toned it down alot.

Lean wish it still ran slightly lean at redline.

Back