• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Supertest sportauto (Germany)

New NSX vs Procar NSX-RR, a generation's meet.

photo-12995-5074ceb1.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome. Cannot wait to read the details...

I'm sure he will spend all day transcribing it for us.............

Hi Detlef,

Nice pictures
Did you get to drive the new NSX yourself as well?
And if so, what were your impressions?

Thanks.
Yes, I could drive the new NSX, with the Pirelli's Tropheo R tires.

I have mixed feelings reagarding that car.
For me the new NSX is way to heavy, 1800 kg is a big number.
If you drive the car very hard, the car looses power, it seems that the electronic system restricts the power.
From the thermical side, the car is on the upper limit.
Steering response is synthetic etc...etc...

Seat position is far away from being perfect, the guy from the sport auto magazine confirmed that only into the old NSX this position is perfect.

IMO also the build quality is not as good comparing to the old NSX.....I can post some pictures.

If you open the trunk lid (engine bay) the car smells like plastic.
We had a bag with clothes into the trunk, finally we had to wash all because of it.

The final statement from Christian (sport auto tester)
If I could, I would take your NSX to drive back to Stuttgart and hold that car.
Much more emotions, especially from the lightness, a real car for men.

You should read the article.....there are some true words inside.:smile:

As small example:
build quality driver seat (nearly a new car with 4000 km)
photo-12996-24eed930.jpg

Last edited:
I think the small details are a bit over-critical, but it's good to see stuff like this. Thanks for sharing.
Well, the car is over 200000 Euro here in Germany with some options, so also the small details have to be perfect IMO.
I hope that issues like seen at the seat are not common, but the same quality issue I have at my new CTR Turbo FK2R too.
Overall I was a bit disappointed after my first intensive meet with that new Acura (Honda), but maybe that will change if the 1th customer NSX is here in my hand for modifications.

I like the rims and the tires, the Pirelli's are options and good for the track. (not for rain)

09th december comes the new sport auto magazine 01/2017 with the supertest at the Nordschleife.
As I heard, the car performed well, even with that weight, but the Nordschleife laptime is still a secret.
(I expect 7.30 min, that would be about 26 sec faster than the NA2R from 2002.
Not comparable directly, because the track is much faster than 14 years before)

photo-13010-9018d9ab.jpg

Last edited:
I appreciate your honest review - the premature wear on the seat bolster is going to be an issue with semi-aniline leather. It initially looks and feels good but it's not as durable. Shame about the the carbon-fiber roof panel beginning to delaminate so soon. We know the seating position is being worked on for future versions - Honda have acknowledged this. Hopefully Honda will be working quality improvements into future iterations that bring it into line with expectation for the price bracket. Given the kind of delay indicated so far for release into the New Zealand market, it looks more like we will initially get the hopefully improved 2018 model.

You mention you felt the car is at it's thermal limits. In what way do you think this could be mitigated?

Last edited:
Well, the car is over 200000 Euro here in Germany with some options, so also the small details have to be perfect IMO.
I hope that issues like seen at the seat are not common, but the same quality issue I have at my new CTR Turbo FK2R too.
Overall I was a bit disappointed after my first intensive meet with that new Acura (Honda), but maybe that will change if the 1th customer NSX is here in my hand for modifications.

I like the rims and the tires, the Pirelli's are options and good for the track. (not for rain)

09th december comes the new sport auto magazine 01/2017 with the supertest at the Nordschleife.
As I heard, the car performed well, even with that weight, but the Nordschleife laptime is still a secret.
(I expect 7.30 min, that would be about 26 sec faster than the NA2R from 2002.
Not comparable directly, because the track is much faster than 14 years before)
[/IMG]

Thanks for all the insights and pointing out for things to watch out for.

You know the Nordschleife much better than I do. You mentioned the track is much faster now than it was 14/20 years ago.
Speaking purely hypothetical, what would the laptime of the 'old' NSX be on the current track?

I think many owners for Gen1 have overall improved the peformance of their car with better wheels/tires/brakes and some power-improvements that exclips the original NSX.
If a doubling in power and 25 years of technological improvements only nets 25-30 seconds on a very long track like the Ring, perhaps I should not be really impressed.

Thanks for all the insights and pointing out for things to watch out for.

You know the Nordschleife much better than I do. You mentioned the track is much faster now than it was 14/20 years ago.
Speaking purely hypothetical, what would the laptime of the 'old' NSX be on the current track?

I think many owners for Gen1 have overall improved the peformance of their car with better wheels/tires/brakes and some power-improvements that exclips the original NSX.
If a doubling in power and 25 years of technological improvements only nets 25-30 seconds on a very long track like the Ring, perhaps I should not be really impressed

I'm not sure about the time difference, I would estimate 5 seconds as minimum.

25-30 seconds sounds not that much, but the driver has to be as good as the car.
Today's tires are much better, so the Pirelli Tropheo R is surely a much better tire than the old Bridgestone RE070, even if that tire is still good.
(I still have 2 sets here for my car)

Maybe there will be some videos from the new NSX available soon, so we can compare.

For a real good answer we had to take an old R again and test it, but dont think Honda has interests to do that.
Best Motoring uses only mini race tracks in Japan, but maybe we will see a comparsion in Suzuka, that would be great too.

Someone needs to take a relatively stock 02+ NSX-R on Trofeo-R/Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s around the ring to set a modern tire lap time. I'll volunteer ;)

I hope SportAuto also puts the car in the wind tunnel...

Someone needs to take a relatively stock 02+ NSX-R on Trofeo-R/Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s around the ring to set a modern tire lap time. I'll volunteer ;)

I hope SportAuto also puts the car in the wind tunnel...
I saw a relatively stock early NSX-R from an owner in the UK last May. Not an 02+ with all the aero mods but that is the only NSX-R i'm aware of in Europe. Hope an 02+ R comes out of hiding for a proper lap time!

The problem with the tires is that Pirelli or Michelin dont have the NSX-R specific tire sizes with that semi slick compounds.
I could help with the RE55S.:smile:

The sport auto tester Christian said, he could easily set a lap time under 7.50 min with my car, after he test drove it, but finally noone knows, how that story would end.
These old cars are too expensive and rare for a real race lap, so noone would pay in case of a crash.

It seems that Honda Germany liked the nice NSX story in sport auto, so I will get the new NSX next year in may for a long weekend.

While not ideal, there are some pretty close sizes that would work and give the NA2 NSX-R a modern tire:

MPSC2: 215/45-17 with 255/40-17 or 265/35-18
Trofeo R: 205/45-17 with 255/40-17 or 265/35-18
RE71-R: 215/45-17 with 255/40-17 or 265/35-18

AD08R: ***215/40-17 with 255/40-17 or 265/35-18

They aren't too old to put together a good lap and there are far more expensive cars running around the ring than an NSX. I'd love to see/do it.

Back