• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Supreme Court says Bush acted illegally

DocL said:
I didn't read many of the posts in this thread and I dislike political debates, but I do have one question. If President Bush has done so many terrible and illegal things why hasn't he been impeached like President Clinton?

I can't believe you actually asked this:confused: Does it mean nothing that the house and senate are both controlled by Republicans. Clinton was a Democrat who the republicans hated. They would have tried to impeach him for peeing on the side walk.

Interesting that you say you would continue to vote all republican. Shouldn't you at least think of what the person your voting for is doing? I would vote for a republican if they were actually trying to make a difference and actually cared about people as I believe some of them do ,but to vote just for a party????

Oh well this is America and at least we still have this freedom:wink:

DocL said:
I certianly will do before the next presidential election as I usually do. I just wanted to throw a little sarcasm into the mix. I agree that there have been oversights and miscalculations, but this "war on terrorism" is unlike any battle that has been fought before.

In my opinion, there has been far too much sarcasm in this debate. I don't put this on you, but in general people are far more concerned with winning arguments and latching on to truthiness that supports their political party than they are in finding the truth.

As for the war on terrorism, it has many similarities to the cold war. Terrorism is the new communism from an ideological point of view. Our current justification for the war in Iraq is essentially the domino theory applied to the middle east. Dissent is stifled as unamerican and unpatriotic. We divide the world into two groups, terrorists and civilization. Nevermind the fact that Iraq had no role in 9/11 and no significant AQ presence before our invasion. Nevermind that the vast majority of insurgents in Iraq are Iraqis. There is no single concept of a war on terror. There is a fight against AQ and there is a civil war in Iraq, of which we are caught in the middle and have significant responsiblity for destabilizing the country and allowing it to descend into chaos after we removed Saddam.

DocL said:
I certianly will do before the next presidential election as I usually do. I just wanted to throw a little sarcasm into the mix. I agree that there have been oversights and miscalculations, but this "war on terrorism" is unlike any battle that has been fought before.

Oh thank God you scared me! please over look my reply:biggrin:

You can read about it on msnbc... And don't even THINK to insinuate that I support such reprehensible behavior.

But, taken in the context of a) illegal/covert phone recordings b) spying without warrants, etc. etc. this has MUCH broader implications. I guess when The People begin to tire of terrorism rhetoric, one can always fall back on the 'ol political standby "for the children." :cool:

[Head back in the sand]

Too bad Gerald Ford is gone... his leadership could have gone a long way to bridge the chasm between parties, and return some "in the middle" sensibilities to politics. What a rotten year for the U.S. And for the 70% of us that aren't extremely liberal or extremely conservative - the sensible MAJORITY - lets hope 2007 doesn't see the political pendulum swing violently to the left in retaliation. But, since neither side seems to have any sensible leadership, or desire to work for the common good, that may be a far fetched hope. :frown: :frown:

Back