• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

synthetic or convention motor oil for a new car?

Got a brand new Mazda 3 2.0L skyactiv. I have a 1000 miles on it so far, Mazda says oil change every 5k. I have never broke in a car engine before, so ive been taking it super easy on the car. Should I do an oil change on the car before 5k, and if so should I use full synthetic, or half/half. I was doing research and found out that using conventional oil will be better for break in since it creates more friction to put on the seals. Does this matter on these type of new cars? What do you guys do with your new cars?

p.s: I have never used conventional oil before.

I think these days the whole break in thing is not that critical anymore. I wouldn't go revving it to redline at every light but today's engines really don't need all that babying. As far as the oil.... How long do you want to keep the car? And how perfect? If its a daily driver mazda I wouldn't use synthetic just because of cost. It'll probably do just fine on what is recommended in the manual. This isn't some ZR1 motor or a Ferrari engine redlining at 9K. I think you are over thinking this and wasting money with synthetic. Do it for the NSX, forget it on the mazda.

Regarding break-in, do whatever your owner's manual tells you. I know Honda/Acura cars use a special break-in oil and they tell you not to change it out too soon, but I don't think other brands of car do that.

As for what type of oil to use, that's up to you. Synthetic will give you better resistance to breakdown when hot, and better flow characteristics when cold. The downside is the higher cost, but if you buy it in five-gallon jugs at Walmart, it's not all that expensive. I use full synthetic in all my cars, starting with the first oil change; maybe it will never make any difference, but to me it's just cheap insurance. One thing I would not recommend is extending your oil change interval longer than recommended by your car's manufacturer.

I understand. I always change my own oil and have only ever used synthetic. Just never broke in a car engine before. I do that exact thing, get my oil from walmart. I Guess il just change the oil at the first 5k then, im going to use the recommended weight and use Mobil 1. Thanks.

Regarding break-in, do whatever your owner's manual tells you. I know Honda/Acura cars use a special break-in oil and they tell you not to change it out too soon, but I don't think other brands of car do r.

So right! I changed to Mobil 1 on my new 1998 Integra Type R at 1,000 miles and took it to the track. Cylinder walls got so badly scorched, had to replace engine. Honda recommendation was for special oil to be used for at least 7K miles!
I am told by insiders that some manufacturers still use break-in oil or oil additives in the first fill.

Michael, my 2011 Honda Crosstour had break-in oil that burned. Be sure to check the oil level. Once I changed it out, after 5,000 or so miles (I forget) then it quit burning oil.

after 100k miles I had my engine opened up to be rebuilt to handle the boost.

The machinist was blown away as to how little wear and tear there was.

Thought the engine had 25k miles.

He asked what oil i used.

I mentioned Pennzoil Platinum then when Ultra came out, i was using that.

I change my oil every 10k miles.

I hear people talk about changing oil so frequent from people that have NEVER opened up their engine to have it inspected by a professional for wear and tear.

Back